Filtering

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hughyg

Reaction score
hi guys
i was thinking of getting a beer filter. if i did would i get away with primary (4days) --> secondary(1week) in topped keg -->filter to keg for carbing bypassing the cc? or does cc do something im missing apart from settling? Would i have any diacytl issues? im curious because it would solve my lack of fridge space!
cheers HG

A filter does a lot of the work of cold conditioning - but perhaps not all of it. I generally dont cc my beers, that happens in the keg after they are filtered. BUT - I also dont rush my fermentations as much as you do. I give em a good couple of weeks in primary and I dont do secondary at all. CCing - meh - I think you can skip it if you filter. But you cant rush your fermentation - that will wreck your beer.

On balance - you could easily buy another fridge for the cost of a filter. I like filters and all, but I'd rather see someone fermenting properly than filtering. If fridge space is your issue, I'd get another or a bigger fridge rather than a filter

A filter does a lot of the work of cold conditioning
On balance - you could easily buy another fridge for the cost of a filter. I like filters and all, but I'd rather see someone fermenting properly than filtering. If fridge space is your issue, I'd get another or a bigger fridge rather than a filter

I agree with all of the above.

Filters will accellerate the process of conditioning be removing hop particles, proteins, trub, yeast etc. This is negated however if you rush your fermentation and knock out a 1/2 arsed beer. Ferment properly and produce better beer before you consider filtering. if your beer is rushed, regardless of filtering it will still taste 'rushed'.

Cheers.

ok. with that on board how long should I leave my beer in primary and secondary and then filter from secondary? I was under the impression that leaving in primary un ullage and yeast lees might leave an oxidised and yeast beer. Im never in a rush. I can just drink my other kegged beer and wine. Im looking to do the LCBA on the recipe DB. What should I do in terms of primary and secondary. I dont think I will cc as probably wont have the room in my little kegerator.

Leave your beer in primary, (crash chill if you can), then filter and store. Store for as long as you can and as cold as you can for best results.

If you re-read both TB's and 4star's suggestions it's all there.

I filter all my beers but I also never go near a brew till it's been down for a minimum of 9 days, i take a hydro and if all good another 3-4 days then CC, filter to keg and polyclar if it needs it.

Simple

Happy brewing

Chappo

I just dip a stein in the primary after a couple of days!

If you 'swish' it around between your teeth it is sort of like filtering and or carbonating it....

Each to their own...

:D

Leave your beer in primary, (crash chill if you can), then filter and store. Store for as long as you can and as cold as you can for best results.
how long? After fermtent has ceased? two weeks?

how long? After fermtent has ceased? two weeks?
I normally ferment for no less than 7 days. Ales that is, I rarely do lagers.
Sometimes I'll leave it longer. Maybe 10 days or so if I've already got enough beer.

Then I'll stick it in the fridge.
I find 1 day is enough to get it nice and cold but I'll leave it longer sometimes if I'm in no rush.

Then filter, keg and carbonate.
The longer you leave it in the fridge the more the yeast will drop out and your filter wont have to work as hard.

I'll be getting a filter in a couple of weeks but exclusively for my Australian Bulimba Melbourne Bitter Steinlagerish beers. I intend to do what Fosters basically do, given a few days here or there: Primary ferment for about 10 days, cold crash for about 10 days with finings and polyclar towards the end, then filter into keg to polish the beer up really bright like you would expect if ordering a pint of lager anywhere on the planet.

Won't bother with my UK Bitters or Aussie Sparkling, obviously.

I know there will be members thinking "why bother if you are doing a long cold crash", well there's clear and then there's crystal clear and that's what I'm after for my lager style beers.

I know there will be members thinking "why bother if you are doing a long cold crash", well there's clear and then there's crystal clear and that's what I'm after for my lager style beers.

Bribie: welcome to the world of crystal bright beer, it makes drinking beer a real pleasure, you will wonder how you did with out it.

:beer:

Latest posts

Back