Fermzilla

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was wondering the same thing. 8 posts and almost all devoted to a Kegland product. Reminds me of several "home brewers" whose only contributions are spruiking KK gear or rubbishing KL gear. In fairness to the KL team, at least they have the decency to post officially as a company (as well as sponsor this forum) and not just shadow post. I would just rather see the end of shadow posters.

The key differences as I see it are:
  1. The Fermzilla is a true unitank. The Snubnose isn't
  2. You can add hops and other adjuncts oxygen free to to FZ, but not the SN (you could add a hop tea, but not hops O2 free)
  3. You can remove the trub with a FZ, but not the SN
  4. Ditto the yeast cake
There's probably others I'm missing, but these are the key reasons I will be buying a FZ when the new high temperature resistant material model hits the market. For me, the differences I pointed out aren't insignificant and are the reasons I'm willing to part with more of my hard earned for a FZ instead of a SN. I've long yearned for a unitank, but don't have a fat enough wallet. The FZ is a game changer for me.

I think it's time to put away the tin foil hat, wooden spoon and tin pots gang, this whole Kegland employee thing is getting a bit petulant and well beyond the level of maturity i was expecting upon joining this forum. I only just read another thread where you guys got stuck into someone with heavy undertones accusing them of being a Kegland employee also. The truth is i wouldn't mind betting some of you chumps are competitors to Kegland, the other truth is if my local homebrew shop had a FermZilla equivalent for sale at the same price i'd buy from them which would save me travelling to Kegland but guess what, they dont.
The same dot points you pointed out above are pretty much the same points i pointed out in contest to the Guten, does that make you a Kegland employee?

I think it's time to put away the tin foil hat, wooden spoon and tin pots gang, this whole Kegland employee thing is getting a bit petulant and well beyond the level of maturity i was expecting upon joining this forum. I only just read another thread where you guys got stuck into someone with heavy undertones accusing them of being a Kegland employee also. The truth is i wouldn't mind betting some of you chumps are competitors to Kegland, the other truth is if my local homebrew shop had a FermZilla equivalent for sale at the same price i'd buy from them which would save me travelling to Kegland but guess what, they dont.
The same dot points you pointed out above are pretty much the same points i pointed out in contest to the Guten, does that make you a Kegland employee?
Mate I agree! I’m tried of the whole thing as well! I buy from who ever stocks what I want at the time. I have even paid a little more to get products to support businesses I like dealing with - then to get supplied KL stuff anyway.
And when I’m experimenting KL gear is cheap enough to go “ oh well i’ve Screwed that up!” And not be too concerned about costs.
And lately every time I go into a bricks and mortar store I get lectured about something (using tap and go for example) or the gear is over priced or they can’t actually help.
Over the last few weeks I have spent a small fortune on hardwear experiments (KL, KK and Cheekypeek can confirm that) trying to fix/ improve a rather expensive brewing system.
But now I’m at a point that I just want something that works, is robust and I don’t have to worry about having to return defective components. So I guess we will see.
But yeah the conspiracy stuff is just so boring!

1. The Fermzilla is a true unitank. The Snubnose isn't
  2. You can add hops and other adjuncts oxygen free to to FZ, but not the SN (you could add a hop tea, but not hops O2 free)
  3. You can remove the trub with a FZ, but not the SN
  4. Ditto the yeast cake
There's probably others I'm missing, but these are the key reasons I will be buying a FZ when the new high temperature resistant material model hits the market. For me, the differences I pointed out aren't insignificant and are the reasons I'm willing to part with more of my hard earned for a FZ instead of a SN. I've long yearned for a unitank, but don't have a fat enough wallet. The FZ is a game changer for me.

1. No one has ever claimed the snub nose is a uni tank.
2. I add hops to the second snubby which is purged and sterile. (2 snubbies $140 with pressure kits)
3. I honestly cannot see the reasoning in adding trub to a fermenter to take it out again.:confused:
4. Yeast isn't going anywhere, make it into a slurry in the snubby pour into sterile jars.

I doubt whether anyone cares which fermenter you buy, but if you are strapped for cash a stainless steel one, whether its Brewtech or Guten will last you a lifetime, and for around the same price as the hot fill PET fermenter.
PET lasts around 2 to 3 years before having to be replaced, so it is really a false economy.
As for the hot fill PET it will be interesting to know how many hot fills (washes) it can take before it starts degrading, as far as I know the hot fill technology was for single use bottles.

Looks like were steering away from the Guten as my original post intended also... If you want to compare apples with apples then go for it but that was not my intent.
Just hope those Guten units will do pressure soon and actually arrive. Seems we are all always waiting for the next thing that makes brewing simpler and more affordable. I think its great that they fit into a keg fridge.

Hey @WEF I missed you at the last staff meeting, I will have to catch you up on the master plan of world home brewing domination by infiltrating the Aussie Home Brewer forum!

Sorry, couldn't resist. I've been accused of being on the payroll of KL too.

Mate I agree! I’m tried of the whole thing as well! I buy from who ever stocks what I want at the time. I have even paid a little more to get products to support businesses I like dealing with - then to get supplied KL stuff anyway.
And when I’m experimenting KL gear is cheap enough to go “ oh well i’ve Screwed that up!” And not be too concerned about costs.
And lately every time I go into a bricks and mortar store I get lectured about something (using tap and go for example) or the gear is over priced or they can’t actually help.
Over the last few weeks I have spent a small fortune on hardwear experiments (KL, KK and Cheekypeek can confirm that) trying to fix/ improve a rather expensive brewing system.
But now I’m at a point that I just want something that works, is robust and I don’t have to worry about having to return defective components. So I guess we will see.
But yeah the conspiracy stuff is just so boring!

Yeah i couldn't agree more. Cheers

I purchased a KK Guten recently and added a few mods.
I removed the thermometer that was included and added a thermowell so i can place my inkbird probe inside.
I also attached a gas ball lock post to the lid for pressure transfer and ferment.
The first time i tried the pressure transfer i noticed gas escaping around the lid so the clamps were not holding the lid down good enough.
Now i sit something heavy on the lid like a concrete tile and i'd works perfect.
I do like the idea of being able to see what my yeasties are doing but the ease of cleaning this SS bucket is the big win for me

Put my first batch of beer into my new Fermzilla yesterday, a gluten free stout which was a real pain to brew BTW! Thankfully the transfer and everything else about the Fermzilla was nice and easy. Discovered that it's pretty easy to over tighten the fittings on the unit, hand tightening is enough but those carbonation caps are slippery buggers. Overall, much better than the Fermentasaurus (which I was borrowing off my brother), I used to have a real problem transferring from my kettle to that unit, the Fermzilla just sits at a height I can work with for the transfer which is nice.

Anyway, I'm happy with my purchase, there are a lot of solutions out there, just do your own research and find what works best for you! :)

I purchased a KK Guten recently and added a few mods.
I removed the thermometer that was included and added a thermowell so i can place my inkbird probe inside.
I also attached a gas ball lock post to the lid for pressure transfer and ferment.
The first time i tried the pressure transfer i noticed gas escaping around the lid so the clamps were not holding the lid down good enough.
Now i sit something heavy on the lid like a concrete tile and i'd works perfect.
I do like the idea of being able to see what my yeasties are doing but the ease of cleaning this SS bucket is the big win for me
Thanks for your reply it saves me from looking up what you has done for pressure fermenting & transfer
I have been thinking of the same (just waiting for the new shipment)
1. I was thinking a small bit of packing under the clamps may give enough pressure to seal the lid
2. A Weldless 1.5” trick amp put into the lid may be a good for the pressure connections (although the bulkhead posts are just as good)
3. I’m getting a NorCal brink delivered to me in November which will do all the true removal, hop injection in a sealed environment
4. With the pressure /co2 collection Sampling can be done without any o2 ingress
All of this will make the Guten a worthwhile and long term investment
My thoughts anyway

.... stainless steel one, whether its Brewtech or Guten will last you a lifetime, and for around the same price as the hot fill PET fermenter.
PET lasts around 2 to 3 years before having to be replaced, so it is really a false economy.

What these new hot fill PET fermenters they are working on will cost the same as stainless? Whats the point then?

I was starting to think I had wasted my money on the Brewtech Chronical I just brought as the Fermzillas seem to have a lot of fancy add ons. But at least I know it should last longer than 3 years.

1. No one has ever claimed the snub nose is a uni tank.
2. I add hops to the second snubby which is purged and sterile. (2 snubbies $140 with pressure kits)
3. I honestly cannot see the reasoning in adding trub to a fermenter to take it out again.:confused:
4. Yeast isn't going anywhere, make it into a slurry in the snubby pour into sterile jars.

I doubt whether anyone cares which fermenter you buy, but if you are strapped for cash a stainless steel one, whether its Brewtech or Guten will last you a lifetime, and for around the same price as the hot fill PET fermenter.
As for the hot fill PET it will be interesting to know how many hot fills (washes) it can take before it starts degrading, as far as I know the hot fill technology was for single use bottles.

Food for thought Reg, thanks. I do like the Brewtech Chronical, but I really like the ability of the FZ to dry hop O2 free. Does anyone know a way you can do this with the BC? I guess if you could find a way to connect the FZ collection jar to the BC, you would be able to. I've read too many poor reports about the quality of the Guten - it's not for me.

Re your other comments:
  1. One of the one eyed KK crowd said on the previous page that the SN can do everything the BZ can which isn't true - that's why I said the SN isn't a uni tank
  2. Agreed that would work, but I'm in an apartment and storage is a major factor for me. I would love to have a huge collection of fermenters like WEAL, but I don't have anywhere to store them. I would eventually like to have 2 unitanks, but right now it needs to be one all-in-one for me.
  3. Do you transfer the trub to your keg? I like the idea of being able to get it out o2 free and being able to transfer to my kegs o2 free with a spunding valve which lets me walk away and run automatically. More importantly for me, it allows you to easily separate the trub from the yeast and harvest the yeast o2 free as soon as fermentation is finished. I don't have to wait until cold crashing has finished like I do right now, which ties in with 4.
  4. The fresher you can harvest it, the higher the viability. For me that's the raison d'atre for a conical fermenter - all the pro brewers I've ever spoken with have said the same. That's the deal breaker for me with the SN, but I get that it's not for everyone. Horses for courses and all that.

What these new hot fill PET fermenters they are working on will cost the same as stainless? Whats the point then?

I was starting to think I had wasted my money on the Brewtech Chronical I just brought as the Fermzillas seem to have a lot of fancy add ons. But at least I know it should last longer than 3 years.
You've definitely wasted your money @Truman42 You should buy a FZ and give me your Chronical... ;)

Food for thought Reg, thanks. I do like the Brewtech Chronical, but I really like the ability of the FZ to dry hop O2 free. Does anyone know a way you can do this with the BC? I guess if you could find a way to connect the FZ collection jar to the BC, you would be able to. I've read too many poor reports about the quality of the Guten - it's not for me.

Re your other comments:
  1. One of the one eyed KK crowd said on the previous page that the SN can do everything the BZ can which isn't true - that's why I said the SN isn't a uni tank
  2. Agreed that would work, but I'm in an apartment and storage is a major factor for me. I would love to have a huge collection of fermenters like WEAL, but I don't have anywhere to store them. I would eventually like to have 2 unitanks, but right now it needs to be one all-in-one for me.
  3. Do you transfer the trub to your keg? I like the idea of being able to get it out o2 free and being able to transfer to my kegs o2 free with a spunding valve which lets me walk away and run automatically. More importantly for me, it allows you to easily separate the trub from the yeast and harvest the yeast o2 free as soon as fermentation is finished. I don't have to wait until cold crashing has finished like I do right now, which ties in with 4.
  4. The fresher you can harvest it, the higher the viability. For me that's the raison d'atre for a conical fermenter - all the pro brewers I've ever spoken with have said the same. That's the deal breaker for me with the SN, but I get that it's not for everyone. Horses for courses and all that.
@ABG see my thread at the other place "dry hop airlock" for a means of O2-free hop additions in a unitank.

Cheers @Meddo Great build and a very informative thread. I'm jealous of your fermenting rig.

I've read too many poor reports about the quality of the Guten - it's not for me.

Care to elaborate? Where have you heard these reports about the Guten SS conical fermenter? I was interested in getting one. I've read the AHB thread about it and not seen any negative reports.

Care to elaborate? Where have you heard these reports about the Guten SS conical fermenter? I was interested in getting one. I've read the AHB thread about it and not seen any negative reports.
I'd like to know also as the only negative i can see with this is the lid not sealing great with pressure but a simple brick fixed that issue for me

Reading these posts I think WEF is working for Keg King the way he surreptitiously turned this thread into a debate about the Guten fermenter.
This thread is about the Fermzilla.
Thread for the Guten fementer is under - Keg King s/steel uni tank
Thread for the Snub nose is under - KK Fermentasaurus conical pet fermenter.

Back