Fermenting Temperature

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

khendrickson

Reaction score
Hello,

I have a batch in the primary right now. The fermenter temperature has been around 14-16. I used Safale US-05, cause I thought my house was going to be a warmer temp (mother nature said winter is coming). I was wondering if this is going to cause finishing issue or it is just going to slow the fermentation process down. I have a heater coil coming but I don't think it will be here in time.

Any thoughts? Or am I just worrying too much.

Hello,

I have a batch in the primary right now. The fermenter temperature has been around 14-16. I used Safale US-05, cause I thought my house was going to be a warmer temp (mother nature said winter is coming). I was wondering if this is going to cause finishing issue or it is just going to slow the fermentation process down. I have a heater coil coming but I don't think it will be here in time.

Any thoughts? Or am I just worrying too much.

from my experience us-05 it will ferment at 16 degrees. if you are still worried and the brew is still fermenting you can wrap a towel or similar around the fermenter to keep the warmth in.

05 will chug along slowly at 16 degrees and give a more clean beer. Below that it can go to sleep but you should be right. Wrap a towel around it or even a doona if you think the night time temp will drop it below 16 degrees. Once its going it will create a bit of heat by itself caused by the ferment, how long has it been in there?

I've found most heat belts ferment too warm unless you have some sort of control box to cut out the power once it hits say 20 degrees.

I have a US-05 on the go now... have my temp controller set to 16 deg and it does sit on 15 for a while every now and then.
Healthy krausen, smelling good and nearly done. Been going about 5-6 days.

I usually have a coopers on the go so my fridge is set at 16.5C at all times. US05 has no troubles at this temp for me.

05 will chug along slowly at 16 degrees and give a more clean beer. Below that it can go to sleep but you should be right. Wrap a towel around it or even a doona if you think the night time temp will drop it below 16 degrees. Once its going it will create a bit of heat by itself caused by the ferment, how long has it been in there?

I've found most heat belts ferment too warm unless you have some sort of control box to cut out the power once it hits say 20 degrees.

I have a towel around it currently. I was going to use a heat belt to bring it up to about 20 then let it sit out wrapped in insultation that I had kicking around in the shed. It should keep temp for about 2 days at that point.

US05 quite likes 16C

I would perhaps wrap it up, but a heatbelt is just going to overheat it unless you have a controller

US05 quite likes 16C

I would perhaps wrap it up, but a heatbelt is just going to overheat it unless you have a controller

I have a stripped down computer that run a temperature probe and on/off switch. That should do the trick. I will just have to modify the top plug to take a cord and my fermenter lock now.

Has anyone used US-05 at up to 24C successfully? My water temperature control is flawed and i am a little concerned that my Dark Ale is going to be nasty.

Has anyone used US-05 at up to 24C successfully? My water temperature control is flawed and i am a little concerned that my Dark Ale is going to be nasty.

US-05 is recommend for 18- 24. So should be fine.

Ok thanks, i have used it at 19C with great results but was a bit sceptical about 24+.

I had a batch go do the whole run at 26. I just noticed that it went off fast. ( and my fermenter exploded, could have been the raspberrys in it too) My notes on it said that all the fermentation appeared to be done in 4 days but took another 5 to clear. I didn't put it through a secondary because I was in a rush. Came out a bit on the sweet side.

I used US-05 in my latest batch. I pitched at 19.5, elec blanket thermo controlled at 19. Second day in, temp climbed on it own from yeast generated heat up past 20, and yesterday (third day) peaked at about 20.6 or so before starting to fall again. Ambient temp of the room was around 16-17.

Back