Fermenting has become idle?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Vini2ton said:
I used 500gms of rice malt extract once in a brew a few years back and found it a bit sweet. What sort of rice malt are you using?
Pure Harvest, organic rice malt. From Woolies.

I just took a new hydrometer reading. It's come down from 1.04 to 1.03 since the last one 5 days ago.

It's been sitting between 27-30 deg

So it is indeed fermenting! 11 days down, maybe about another 11 to go before bottling?

Latest hydrometer reading, after 16 days is 1.024

Sitting pretty consistently on 27deg.

Stiftung said:
From that link:

Note to brewers: This strain tends to stall out in fermentation and then restart as long as two weeks later. Make sure the wort is well-oxygenated and allow the temperature to free rise in order to ensure complete fermentation. Some brewers add WLP001 to finish.

I've never done this, but maybe grab a packet of US-05 and sprinkle to finish up. This is the same strain as WLP001.

Just read op.
that belgian saison actually wants north of 30. 27 is too low for that one which may explain the sluggish ferment.
Sorry if someone already posted that.

mstrelan said:
From that link:

Note to brewers: This strain tends to stall out in fermentation and then restart as long as two weeks later. Make sure the wort is well-oxygenated and allow the temperature to free rise in order to ensure complete fermentation. Some brewers add WLP001 to finish.

I've never done this, but maybe grab a packet of US-05 and sprinkle to finish up. This is the same strain as WLP001.
Yeah, I did read this. I may end up doing it, but I'm going to hold out as long as possible. I am a litle anxious with it being my first ferment though!

At what stage do I need to worry about the sediment causing unwanted flavours?

about 7 months ish depending on a lot of factors.

What's the recipe for your brew. If it's just the rice malt extract, then I reckon it'll be done. Yuck.

Maybe, but some things I just need to find out first hand. I'm going to do a secondary with about 10L, I'm just not sure what I'm going to use just yet.

Something else to make you cringe no doubt! I'll do my best.

I ended up transferring into 4 seperate glass vessel's for secondary fermentation.

1. Adding natural cherry syrup
2. Adding organic barley malt
3. Adding the barley malt & the cherry syrup
4. Just a few bottles worth of the original organic rice malt, Belgian saison, hallertau which is the base for the other 3.

They have fermented well from this point and I bottled all but the cherry one (1.) over the weekend. The barley/cherry tastes especially promising. I primed them with brewing sugar, and added a couple of samples using coconut sugar.

I'm looking forward to finally tasting the finished products.

Latest posts

Back