Brewing an IPA at 29 degrees?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gvellotti

Reaction score
Hi All, I started brewing an IPA and the temperatures have hit about 36 degrees outside. I managed to keep the brew inside an insulated shed, submerged in water. It fermented between 26 to 31 degrees (averaging 29 degrees). It has stopped bubbling after day 5. My original SG was 1.064 and after day 5 I am at 1.014. Will check in again in a couple of days to see if it changes or stays the same. I know the temperature is high, will this ruin my brew? and how long should I wait or let it sit, another 5 days before I keg? any suggestions or tips anyone can advise?

gvelotti--

If you live where you have to brew at those temps, you might look into kveik yeasts. Check manufacturers' specs. Some have even higher recommended optimum ranges, but all work at 29 or thereabouts. Several contributors here have experience with them.

will this ruin my brew? and how long should I wait or let it sit, another 5 days before I keg? any suggestions or tips anyone can advise?
Ruined is subjective.
I've brewed lager @ 25-30c under ~12psi using Diamond yeast, but this was also an over pitching experiment which came out drinkable but not really nice. I also let an American Amber Ale sit in the fermenter for 24 days (poor space planning) and the temp varied from 15-28c and it doesn't have any weird tastes but it's less hoppy than I wanted.
After fermentation seems to have completed I usually agitate the fermenter then let it sit for 3-21 days.

Bottom line is your fermentation worked, but temp. may have introduced some slightly wierd taste.

For best result follow the yeast and recipe recommendations... and for me; don't add flavours like Rose Merry or over pitch for better attenuation.

I've even noticed that sometimes taking an already kegged lager out of the fridge has fixed some weird flavour.

Last edited:
Hopefully it's alright - well worth keeping an eye out for a 2nd hand lil bar fridge/freezer etc that will fit your fermenting vessel - add a temp controller and these issues will be gone forever. I got all mine for well under $50 total - so at that cost and the effect brew temps and temp variability has on end result it's a no brainer when you factor in cost of ingredients and your time for each brew. :)

Back