Fermenting fridge with conical finally finished

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kontek

Reaction score
So i thought id share a photo of my fermentor and fridge set up. After almost 2 long years im back brewing and thought id do things right. I have a 64 litre ss conical in a glass industial fridge with heater and temp controll. I just fitted a co2 line with gauge for cold crashing (negative pressure) and to fill my kegs. Any other ideas that you may have feel free to let me know

Im still waiting for the ss pressurized transfer fitting and tri clamp.

Edited: forgot to add the photo :)

fax34p.jpg

how does that airlock cope with 60ltrs banging away inside? i run mine through a tube submersed into a glass demijohn full of star-sanned water and when it gets going it wakes me up at night!

droid said:
how does that airlock cope with 60ltrs banging away inside? i run mine through a tube submersed into a glass demijohn full of star-sanned water and when it gets going it wakes me up at night!
I guess that's why there is a safety grill above it :p

At the start it bubled like crazy and sucked up a bit of star san. From what i read ot ahould be ok. I have a beer bug on order so once i get that ill organise a proper airlock. I havent taken a reading but ive had that brew on for 8 days activity stoped about 2 days ago. Not sure if conicals speed up the process or not but ill have to wait a few days before i cold crash it. Waiting on the presurises co2 valve for the top. Other than that im a happy man :)

Is the pressure co2 valve a spunding valve ?

Very very nice setup mate happy fermenting

rude said:

Not sure what a spunding valve is but it has a 5 psi blowoff

You have my interest Kontek. Nice job mate.

I assume you are referring to the negative pressure during cold crash in the bigger volume fermenter. I have never noticed any issues jn my 30 odd litre fermenter but understand why you might set it up to offset that drop. Will you have to put in a valve and then pressurise the vesel?

I would love to be able to remove the trub from the bottom of the fermenter and then wash the yeast. Tidy operation. Assume if you pressurise the vessel with carbon dioxide you can use that to transfer the finished beer and not worry about oxygenisation. Also tidy.

Good brewing mate. Anthony.

rude said:

just did some reserch on spunding valve. not a bad idea to set one up. i could also put a t valve to force co2 into the fermenter without removing any airlocks or tri clams. Has any one had any experience with spunding valves ?

So the brew is ready and kegged not to bad if i dont say so my self. It was missing some hops so i decided to dry hop with galaxy. The question i need answered is ive started to clean my fermenter and some of the seals are stained brown, even after a good scrub. Is this ok ?

Cheers

Yeah no problems at all.

I've got a Chronical and my first brew in it was a Robust Porter that stained some of the seals brown.
Have done at least a dozen brews in it since then without issue.

Mind you I have soaked the seals in per carb every time since and they are still brown ...

Nuthin' worth worrying about.

Cheers

Yep. Have the same. Stain is ok. You can get it off if you try hard enough. The thing I don't get is the gauge. No point having a spunding valve with an airlock. What's the gauge connected to?

I'm intriged also....

Is the idea to attach the spunding valve towards the end of fermentation to collect the co2 whereas the pic was taken a few days into primary ferm?

Sweet setup btw.

mckenry said:
Yep. Have the same. Stain is ok. You can get it off if you try hard enough. The thing I don't get is the gauge. No point having a spunding valve with an airlock. What's the gauge connected to?
Its not a spunding valve. After fermentarion has ended and i cold crash i attachn it to feed co2 in the cronical so no air is sucked in. Also great for when i fill my kegs under presure. Completly sealed transfer. Ill add another photo

1456485302674.jpg

1456485321839.jpg

Latest posts

Back