Fermenter temperature control

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grott

Beer Embalmer
Reaction score
Over 9 months of trials and data recording has paid off and I can now reveal my cheap simple method of controlling fermentation temperatures for all seasons including heat waves. This method requires limited room and provides and easy cost effective method where a fermentation fridge is not an option. My set is as follows:-

IMG_0063.JPG

Note that the box and lid assembly are tongue and groove, not a “butt” type fit where the lid has a rebate that fits inside the box. I cut the centre of the lids out and glued them back to back using Hard as Nails. This was smeared around the perimeter service to ensure a perfect seal.
IMG_0073.JPG IMG_0075.JPG

I use the airlock to verify fermentation is happening although temperature readings do tell you this. These gauges are quite accurate and are attached to the side of the fermenter with tape so the probe is against the fermenter. The fermenter is placed to the front of the box.
I have made many recordings as to room temperatures, yeast pitch temps, and temp variations within the fermenter during summer (where room temps had reached 34.7). and now during one of Adelaide’s coldest wintesr (where room temp got down to 10 degrees).
Important to note 1) The temp. in the room is the temp. in the box when you first seal the fermenter in. ( this will determine whether 1x 2 litre frozen drink bottle of water or 1 plus a cold pack etc) however usually just one. 2) Don’t open the box during whole fermentation process (my case 14 days) unless you suspect something wrong or in summer if you need to change over the ice bottle.
I have found the optimum yeast pitch temperature is 20 degrees. In Winter I pack an older jumper in the bottom box to reduce air space and put the lid on. You will find the temp. will slowly drop to around 18 degrees and then go up to about 19.5 as it ferments and then slowly drop in temp as fermentation slows to around 16 degrees until bottling. In Summer I place a frozen 2 litre bottle of water (salt added) behind the fermenter but not touching. This effectively cools the fermenter to 17- 18 degrees before fermentation kicks in. Again temp. rises up around 2 degrees and then tends to stay there (19.5-20 degrees). It is amazing how long the ice bottle lasts but if I suspect the temp. is on the rise I’ll quickly change over the bottle or just put in a cold pack. (you do get a good feel for this and maintaining a 1 degree fluctuation during a heat wave is certainly achieved.)
I hope I have been clear enough and a help to those that struggle with fermentation temperature control. Oh and the cost, other than the Hard as Nails for sealing the altered lids one unit costs $12.14, that’s right $12.14. $5 for the polystyrene box and lid x 2, temp gauge for $2.14 delivered via e-bay including batteries.
WP_000229.jpg
Cheers

Where do you get the coolite boxes from?

So far this winter we have had 8 degree mornings and generally hovering 19 - 21 during the days, with general objects in the garage registering as low as 14 degrees early morning using my infra red thermometer, but I have had no trouble keeping brews going at 18 - 19 degrees using a simple cardboard box (in my case the box that the SS BrewBucket came in). This is the second winter that my heater belt has hung forlornly off its peg.

We are in the bottom end of the Subtropics here but get cold snaps of course and I'm impressed at how well even a box works, so keen to try your solution. I know the ice bottle trick well as I didn't have a dedicated fridge for the first couple of years (edit: living on Bribie Island with a garage that was a hot box most of the year) and even took out the Brisbane comp on ice bottles using a dead fridge. As you say once you get the hang you can control the temp to within a degree during the Summer .

It does get colder then here South of the Hunter, so I guess the coolite solution would be perfect down there and even Melbourne.

I can fit two square fermenters side by side into a 150L chest freezer - which cost me $50. It doesn't take up much more space.

I admire your ingenuity though! :icon_cheers:

Bribie G said:
Where do you get the coolite boxes from?
Thanks Bribie G, these boxes were are real exercise in finding the right size etc. Finally tracked them down, they are the large fish box. You could contact the company here in Adelaide as to their supplier your way. [email protected], the guys name is Beau. As you stated the system works well and these boxes just finish it off. The part number was IPF-003, just confirm the inside dimensions with them.

Phoney said:
I can fit two square fermenters side by side into a 150L chest freezer - which cost me $50. It doesn't take up much more space.

I admire your ingenuity though! :icon_cheers:
Understand Phoney but one big advantage to a fridge or freezer is this can be set up anywhere very easily and I can set up 1,2,3,4.....how many I like for bugger all cost. You could even set it up on holidays ha ha.
Cheers

Not everyone has room for fridge or freezer and this is a simple practical solution. I like it. Does it come in different colours?

I have the purrfect benchtop for this system:

Currently I pop boxes over the top at night and during the day the heat from the closed roller door keeps them at around 19 during the day and the boxes maintain them around 17 to 18 during the night.

The polystyrene solution would give less of a swing. (note: the SS bucket is in a lagering fridge at the moment, I'm still using plastics for the quaffers).

fermenting shelf.jpg

I'm not a lager drinker therefore don't brew it but I'm positive this system would achieve the 10 to 12 degrees if 3 frozen bottles of water added and perhaps 4 in summer, obviously this number is dependant upon the temp the yeast is pitched at.

In a dead fridge I've done lagers at 13 degrees in the SEQ summer, but swapping two 2L bottles twice a day. Too-hard work and you can't go on holiday. However for ales it's a good system and one swap of a 2L bottle a day can handle even a heatwave.

The whole focus of your system is on preserving temperatures with minimal energy input, so it's perfect for ales. Once you stray into lagers you are using heaps of energy to freeze bottles, and even if you have ample freezer space it's all $$$$ to Origin Energy et. al.

Good point, doesn't effect me but I don't think you'd be changing bottles that often with this system, but I would avoid it if other methods available for lager.

Something has changed on my original thread, I'm see it with the majority of print in very small font, it wasn't like this originally. Do others see it the same and therefore I need to edit?
Cheers

IMG_0779.jpg
grott said:
Over 9 months of trials and data recording has paid off and I can now reveal my cheap simple method of controlling fermentation temperatures for all seasons including heat waves. This method requires limited room and provides and easy cost effective method where a fermentation fridge is not an option. My set is as follows:-

attachicon.gif
IMG_0063.JPG

Note that the box and lid assembly are tongue and groove, not a “butt” type fit where the lid has a rebate that fits inside the box. I cut the centre of the lids out and glued them back to back using Hard as Nails. This was smeared around the perimeter service to ensure a perfect seal.
attachicon.gif
IMG_0073.JPG
attachicon.gif
IMG_0075.JPG

I use the airlock to verify fermentation is happening although temperature readings do tell you this. These gauges are quite accurate and are attached to the side of the fermenter with tape so the probe is against the fermenter. The fermenter is placed to the front of the box.
I have made many recordings as to room temperatures, yeast pitch temps, and temp variations within the fermenter during summer (where room temps had reached 34.7). and now during one of Adelaide’s coldest wintesr (where room temp got down to 10 degrees).
Important to note 1) The temp. in the room is the temp. in the box when you first seal the fermenter in. ( this will determine whether 1x 2 litre frozen drink bottle of water or 1 plus a cold pack etc) however usually just one. 2) Don’t open the box during whole fermentation process (my case 14 days) unless you suspect something wrong or in summer if you need to change over the ice bottle.
I have found the optimum yeast pitch temperature is 20 degrees. In Winter I pack an older jumper in the bottom box to reduce air space and put the lid on. You will find the temp. will slowly drop to around 18 degrees and then go up to about 19.5 as it ferments and then slowly drop in temp as fermentation slows to around 16 degrees until bottling. In Summer I place a frozen 2 litre bottle of water (salt added) behind the fermenter but not touching. This effectively cools the fermenter to 17- 18 degrees before fermentation kicks in. Again temp. rises up around 2 degrees and then tends to stay there (19.5-20 degrees). It is amazing how long the ice bottle lasts but if I suspect the temp. is on the rise I’ll quickly change over the bottle or just put in a cold pack. (you do get a good feel for this and maintaining a 1 degree fluctuation during a heat wave is certainly achieved.)
I hope I have been clear enough and a help to those that struggle with fermentation temperature control. Oh and the cost, other than the Hard as Nails for sealing the altered lids one unit costs $12.14, that’s right $12.14. $5 for the polystyrene box and lid x 2, temp gauge for $2.14 delivered via e-bay including batteries.
attachicon.gif
WP_000229.jpg

Cheers
Nice descriptions & pics. Well done. Reminds me when I had to do similar for temp control. Love now being able to close the lid and leave it all alone for 3-4 weeks. No longer have to ignore/battle 'lager' & 'mixed styles' production either. e.g. around 40% more to create/try/enjoy/dismiss?

Re: "Periodic Table Of Beer Styles" (Ales-39, Lagers-15, Mixed Styles-11)
http://thumbnails-visually.netdna-ssl.com/beers-periodic-table_50290a5d22692_w1500.jpg

Pic shows my 150L chest freezer with temp controller attached. Four different recipes (16L ea) per month. I love the variety of tasty dark lagers. Ales still have a conditioning fridge to themselves... ;-)

Cheers

Thanks for your comments and showing your set up. It is great to brew the variety of dark ales with English bitter my main drinker.

Back