Fermenter Full Of Kraeusen

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mschippr

Reaction score
Hi,

I don't know if this is a problem or not but i brewed 30L of amber ale over the weekend and pitched on the day into a 30L fermenter. I checked it today and the remainder of the fermenter is now totally full of Kraeusen (i.e. no air space left), It's not overflowing or anything though.

Should i be concerned about my brew? Everything smells ok on the outside of the fermenter. I think that my bung is wrecked because the air lock hasn't been bubbling at all, yet Kraeusen has been forming.

Thanks,
MARK.

its happened to me a couple of times its really not very worrying. and the lock not bubbling it could have just split or have a very small crack in it. the krausen will dissipate. but thats just from my experiance

What was the volume of wort? In a 30L fermenter you should really have no more than 25L to allow for headspace and possible overflows. Of course even though it's nominally a 30L vessel it's probably a bit bigger.

However if you put 30L of wort in and pitched then it's no surprise the headspace is full of Krausen. :icon_cheers:

I brewed a total of 30L thinking that I would get more bang for my buck and time. ;) Think I'll keep it down to the 25L mark in the future.

Will the lack of head space effect the end product? i.e. slow down fermentation or not ferment completely.

Thanks heaps.

No problems. Even if it starts frothing out of the airlock don't worry, just wait till it settles down, remove lid, cover open fermenter with a few paper kitchen towels or a sanitised frying pan lid, clean up the lid and fermenter and put back on.

Back