Fermented Too Cold - Is Yeast Sedimented?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hoser

Reaction score
So I'm fermenting the Sparrow Hawk Porter recipe in Charlie Papazian's Joy of Home Brewing. The recipe estimates OG of 1058-1062 and FG of 1014-1020. Mine started at 1066 and I pitched yeast at approx 15-16 degrees (a little cold I know) and unfortunately failed to get wort up beyond 16 degrees since. It's been fermenting for 3.5 days and gravity is 1024. Should I be concerned? Unfortunately I don't have a fridge for temp control so best I can do is leave in warmer rooms but it's been quite cool in Melbourne this week and the wort doesn't seem to warm up much.

Think the yeast has sedimented? There doesn't seem to be any activity noticeable in the airlock.

Also I'd like to dry hop but I think I should maybe wait one more day first in case it ferments a bit more in case fermentation continues to avoid CO2 eating up the aroma. That make sense?

Thanks!

Gravity is dropping so relax and have another homebrew I say. :icon_cheers:

If the gravity stalls then it may be time to swirl, warm up slightly or rack it to a secondary vessel. Till then I would not worry about it.

You don't say what yeast you are using but it is a little on the cool side for an ale yeast. Dry hop now and try to increase the temperature to 20C and give the fermenter a gentle swirl to get the yeast up. Should start going again and finish up just fine.

For a high gravity beer to get down to 1.024 in 3.5 days is damn good in anybody's book it may actually stop at around 1.020 but yes 1.024 is a little high I would leave it at least another week and then take a hydro reading.

Thanks guys. I'm using Wyeast British Cask 1026. Made yeast starter 24hrs before and yeast had settled nicely by the time I pitched.

Frustrating part is I struggle to get temps up. I'm getting a fridge (finally) on Sunday and will hook up the Tempmate next week hopefully. Til then it's a little tough. Got the fermenter going a bit with gentle swirl and literally placing it in warmest room in apartment - the living room!! I haven't checked but I'm guessing it's more like 18 or 19 now. Will dry hop shortly.

Cheers,

Hoser

So now at 8 days and fermentation is truly stalled at 1024. I've never racked to another fermenter and I only have another 30L fermenter so with a 19L batch I think I'd add a ton of oxygen racking it anyway... and I'm not sure I'm confident to do that just yet. Temp sitting at in low 20's now and it hasn't fermented further. I'm guessing 1024 is OK but not ideal.

Think I can bottle or should I try pitching some additional yeast? I don't have anymore of the British Cask 1026. If I pitch more yeast can I use something different like some of the Saf ale freeze dried yeast rehydrated?

ehwww 1024 is a bit high. If you decide to bottle do it in PET and keep a close eye on them.

You can tell if it has totally finished fermenting as you should see the beer clearing from the top down as well as hydro readings to confirm.

Racking to another vessel is dead easy but you are right the airspace above can cause problems.
All you need is a length of plastic food grade pipe that fits over your fermenter tap. Put your fermenter up on a bench and the secondary below with the pipe coiled inside it open tap and away you go.

My last brew stopped at 1022 but a few more days it finally gave up at 1020. Been bottled for a week and so far no dramas I put it in PET.

Thanks mate. I assume PET cuz there might be too much carbon dioxide with secondary fermentation in bottle cuz the FG was so high, thus creating pressure and potential explosions?

Latest posts

Back