Fermentation Question

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

melinda

Reaction score
G'day Men,
I have a beer in my fermenter(light ale) that has been in there for 10 days. The OG was 1.040 and it is still bubbling away. I measured it today and it is only 1.020. I have made the same beer before without any problems. Is it possible for it to continue to ferment until it gets to approx. 1.010? It is in the fridge at 18 degrees.
Cadbury

At that temp , i'm assuming its an ale...
Did you pitch enough , healthy yeast ?
What was it ? Kit ? Partial ? Ag ?
How many days have you had a consistent gravity reading ?
Are you concerned you have a stuck ferment ?
You can give your fermenter a gentle swirl to re-suspend some yeast...and check again in a couple of days...or you could take it out of the fridge and let it heat up to 20degrees...I did hear Jamil Zainasheff say on Saturday that he watches his fermenters and if he is not happy with the amount of yeast growing , he will bump his temps up by a degree...
Hope this helps....I'm sure some of the other really knowledgeable guys on here may also have some other advice...
Cheers
Ferg

At that temp , i'm assuming its an ale...
Did you pitch enough , healthy yeast ?
What was it ? Kit ? Partial ? Ag ?
How many days have you had a consistent gravity reading ?
Are you concerned you have a stuck ferment ?
You can give your fermenter a gentle swirl to re-suspend some yeast...and check again in a couple of days...or you could take it out of the fridge and let it heat up to 20degrees...I did hear Jamil Zainasheff say on Saturday that he watches his fermenters and if he is not happy with the amount of yeast growing , he will bump his temps up by a degree...
Hope this helps....I'm sure some of the other really knowledgeable guys on here may also have some other advice...
Cheers
Ferg
Sorry. It is an AG ale. I pitched two sachets into 60 L . It has a nice head. Maybe I'll bump the temp up and give it a stir. I've never heard of a stuck ferment. I only took my first reading today. I'll take another tomorrow. Thanks for the info. Cadbury

Latest posts

Back