Fermentation Process

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
manticle said:
Mash where unconverted starch remains
And that's figured out by the iodine test?

Can you have a blue mash but still hit your target SG?

Iodine test will show unconverted starch as dark blue or purple.

Potentially you could get expected og without converting everything but unconverted starch should not add gravity points.

BKBrews said:
Thanks mate - I thought so but a bit paranoid being my first attempt. Never even done an extract brew, just threw myself in the deep end with all grain.

In regards to bottle conditioning, I used a calculator to work out the dextrose required to carbonate my IPA and it spat out 2.1g per 330ml bottle. Does this sound right? Any chance of bottle bombs with this level?
When I bottled my stout the other day, I used about 1.5g of caster sugar per 330ml bottle, 1/3 tsp. When using carb drops I have found 1 is enough for a 750ml or 500ml bottle but I only use half of one for a 330ml and I get the right carbonation for me.

manticle said:
Iodine test will show unconverted starch as dark blue or purple.

Potentially you could get expected og without converting everything but unconverted starch should not add gravity points.
What would cause that to happen if my temps were all correct? Could that be caused by temps being a little high? Or low? I was very fastidious in checking the temps regularly - I didn't just get it to heat, add the grain and then leave it for an hour. This was my first time using wheat as well, but I got a really good hot break, so I thought everything was going well.

I'm pretty sure my issue this time was cooling before whirlpooling, which stirred it all in.

My guess would be cooling before whirlpooling. Time should see it clear up for you. Don't stress. If it doesn't clear up drink it out of plastic cups!

It will clear up. Looks like my first few AG brews before I learnt not to put too much trub from the kettle into the fermenter.

Just took a gravity reading 13 days after pitching and it's only got down to 1.015 (expected of 1.009). I dunno what's going wrong with my processes, but ******* bring on the grainfather and my new ferm fridge and temp control. Also goodbye siphon!!!

You have nearly 40% unmalted wheat in the recipe, you haven't done a Glucanase or Protease rest which could contribute to a lot of haze.
As Wes said if your conversion wasn't really finished (blue mash) that to could be adding its own collection of problems.
As could stirring late, I think you have a lot of Hot break in the fermenter, see pick post #71, what you are seeing in the next picture post #72, that mutated jellyfish looking thing is cold break.

On the theme of measuring the temperature, what are you using and how confidant are you that it is telling the truth?
Mark

You have nearly 40% unmalted wheat in the recipe, you haven't done a Glucanase or Protease rest which could contribute to a lot of haze.
As Wes said if your conversion wasn't really finished (blue mash) that to could be adding its own collection of problems.
As could stirring late, I think you have a lot of Hot break in the fermenter, see pick post #71, what you are seeing in the next picture post #72, that mutated jellyfish looking thing is cold break.

On the theme of measuring the temperature, what are you using and how confidant are you that it is telling the truth?
Mark
I think I've definitely determined that there is a shit load of cold break in the fermenter. That's a given at this point.

I have just been using a thermometer that is probably used for coffee milk. But it read exactly 100 degrees on the boil, so I thought it was pretty accurate.

The wheat I bought is Bairds Soft Red Wheat Malt (Torrified Wheat)... Is that not malted? I'm confused.

It's really not hazy at all any more, it's clear as. Looks very thin though, almost too clear and light coloured.

My main concern at this stage is that it's stuck at 1.015, exactly like my last beer. My first one went from 1.074 to 1.011 with ease and none of my beers since have been even close to that gravity.

Anyway, like I said, bring on the grainfather and temp controlled ferm fridge :)

So I ended up stirring all the yeast and trub and cold break back into suspension, as I was quite prepared to tip this batch if it didn't work out. Looks like there is now a layer of yeast on the bottom, then cold break and trub and now a fresh layer of yeast on top of that, so hopefully it drops a few more points and I'll just bottle it.

Latest posts

Back