Fermentation Process

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Probably best to do it asap to ensure enough yeasties in the bottles to carbonate, and avoid any possible infection taking hold.

With all grain you'll find that primary often goes alarmingly quickly compared to kit brews.

Bottled tonight based on your advice. How will I know if I have a bad batch? Tasted pretty good to me, but I'm fairly new to craft beer and only in the last 6 months decided that pale ales were OK to drink.

FG was 1.011 which is bang on my recipe, so happy with that. Will look at carbonation drops for next brew as measuring out dextrose into each bottle prior to filling was a PITA.

You'll know you have a bad batch by tasting it.
If it doesn't taste bad to you, it isn't bad for you.

Measuring into each bottle is a PITA! Do a search on bulk priming. Once you give it a try you will never turn back.

manticle said:
You'll know you have a bad batch by tasting it.
If it doesn't taste bad to you, it isn't bad for you.
Hang on, can a bad batch actually be bad for you? Or it will just taste like shit but you can still drink it with no harm?

I did notice my batch tasted quite alcoholic, but I attributed that to the SG being 1.074 and FG being 1.011.

Killer Brew said:
Measuring into each bottle is a PITA! Do a search on bulk priming. Once you give it a try you will never turn back.
Sounds like that's where I need to be!

Last question - how long should I leave them in my cupboard to prime before chucking them in the fridge?

No problems other than tasting bad! I believe no pathogens survive in beer so all ok. If it tastes bad leave it to condition a while longer as it may come good.

BKBrews said:
Last question - how long should I leave them in my cupboard to prime before chucking them in the fridge?
2 weeks usually does the trick.

Thanks everyone. Will come back with an update once we're ready to drink :)

BKBrews said:
Hang on, can a bad batch actually be bad for you? Or it will just taste like shit but you can still drink it with no harm?
I did notice my batch tasted quite alcoholic, but I attributed that to the SG being 1.074 and FG being 1.011.
Depends how you describe harm. Psychological harm maybe but even an infected beer shouldn't kill you or ill you.

By bad for you, I meant bad (as far as you're concerned anyway) because someone else may find faults you don't detect so it's bad for them (or as far as they're concerned). Being your beer, your palate and preference is the first yardstick.

Bad for you = bad to you if that makes sense.

manticle said:
Depends how you describe harm. Psychological harm maybe but even an infected beer shouldn't kill you or ill you.

By bad for you, I meant bad (as far as you're concerned anyway) because someone else may find faults you don't detect so it's bad for them (or as far as they're concerned). Being your beer, your palate and preference is the first yardstick.

Haha gotcha. It was a very small batch, so I think me and my mate who I did this one with will be drinking the lot! Any faults will be masked by the "we're awesome" vibe that we created the beer [emoji39]

manticle said:

Haha gotcha. It was a very small batch, so I think me and my mate who I did this one with will be drinking the lot! Any faults will be masked by the "we're awesome" vibe that we created the beer [emoji39]

manticle said:

manticle said:

manticle said:

You seem to have a severe case of the hiccups or these is a great echo happening!!!

gap said:
You seem to have a severe case of the hiccups or these is a great echo happening!!!
Gotta love posting on forums from smart phones!!

So the beers have been bottled for 4 days now... Is it natural to have a milky looking substance sitting at the bottom? I assume it's just dextrose that hasn't completely dissolved or a little bit of yeast poop? It seems to mix in if I gently swirl the bottle. Seems to be carbonating well though.

It's normal to have sediment in bottle carbonated beers. RDWHAB.

wereprawn said:
It's normal to have sediment in bottle carbonated beers. RDWHAB.
I wouldn't say it is sediment - it looks more like a milky liquid that hasn't mixed one. A quick swirl and tip upside down and it slowly dissolves into the beer. Will keep an eye on it.

BKBrews said:

While the beer will probably (almost certainly) be carbonated and ready at two weeks, try leaving a bottle or two for at least six months and taste it then. Most likely, you'll find it's even better then. :)

Latest posts

Back