Fermentasaurus Incontinance

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Georgedgerton

Reaction score
Hi folk, having my first experience with the Fermentasaurus. After fermentation and starting to drop the temperature, I kept adding a little Co2 to stop the fermenter imploding as the temp dropped. Each time I added a little pressure (not much) the dump valve gave a little piddle before sealing off. I was a bit surprised but guessed it's just the adjustment of pressure, because it always stopped fairly quickly. So have any of you good folk experienced this?
cheers and happy brewing
Bruce

I did, turned out I'd just not screwed it in place properly. After unscrewing and re-screwing it all worked fine. And I got to do some screwing so that's a plus.

Hi folk, having my first experience with the Fermentasaurus. After fermentation and starting to drop the temperature, I kept adding a little Co2 to stop the fermenter imploding as the temp dropped. Each time I added a little pressure (not much) the dump valve gave a little piddle before sealing off. I was a bit surprised but guessed it's just the adjustment of pressure, because it always stopped fairly quickly. So have any of you good folk experienced this?
cheers and happy brewing
Bruce
I have the new fermentasaurus which I bought last week, that problem has now been eliminated, I would think the new butterfly valves set up will be available for general sale.

I have the new fermentasaurus which I bought last week, that problem has now been eliminated, I would think the new butterfly valves set up will be available for general sale.

Which 'new' one are you referring to? AFAIK the 'Gen 2' hasn't been released and KL/KK/Oxebar's website only show the standard Gen 1 model including the original butterfly valve?

I had a leak in my butterfly valve (fermentasaurus bought at the end of 2017). I disassembled, popped out the valve, lubed the rubber wall with keg lube (both sides), reseated in the plastic and tightened the bolts in a criss-cross pattern like I do when working with engines/mechanics.

I have only had one ferment since, but haven't had a leak. Hope that helps.

Which 'new' one are you referring to? AFAIK the 'Gen 2' hasn't been released and KL/KK/Oxebar's website only show the standard Gen 1 model including the original butterfly valve?
It's the new Keg King Fermentersaurus. I was lucky they had a few new butterfly valves and they did say that more are due in.

It's the new Keg King Fermentersaurus. I was lucky they had a few new butterfly valves and they did say that more are due in.
That's still the Gen 1. They don't appear to be stocking the Gen 2 - seems to be KegLand exclusive

Well at least I'm not on my own on this by the looks of it.
Thanks for your replys

I have been adding 35psi when I crash chill it’s pretty much carbed ready to serve after a couple of days, sometimes it’ll drop a small puddle

I noticed KK have a new dump valve assembly the fits the original fermentasurus 35 litre which is now standard on a new one they ahve a new video showing it - and its supposed to be easier to disassemble
I think that its rated at 2.4 bar or pretty much 35 PSI - i never have mine up that high - isnt the red PRV rated to release at a certain PSI too?

My fermenter had its problem at very low pressure, and it's a little annoying that the company has put a relatively expensive product on the market that they would have known about (and if they didn't it says something about their quality assurance) and then updated it with a new and improved valve.

My fermenter had its problem at very low pressure, and it's a little annoying that the company has put a relatively expensive product on the market that they would have known about (and if they didn't it says something about their quality assurance) and then updated it with a new and improved valve.
When it was released by KK (now KL) unfortunately that was standard procedure not to test things thoroughly but it looks like the new management are taking note and addressing flaws in products.
I lost 40 litres of beer along with others when they first released the 'no rinse sanitizer' in 2012

When it was released by KK (now KL) unfortunately that was standard procedure not to test things thoroughly but it looks like the new management are taking note and addressing flaws in products.
I lost 40 litres of beer along with others when they first released the 'no rinse sanitizer' in 2012

Yet another jib at KL, **** it's getting old dude. KL didn't exist when the first version of the fermentasaurus was released. If you want to throw jibs about, how about you throw them at oxbar, the company who made it!

Was only going to be a matter of time before he chimed in with some crap like this, any opportunity to take a jab at KL and compliment KK. It's very obvious that WEAL has a horse in the race and isn't being transparent about it.

OT but relevant, this "new management" doesn't actually need to test anything because they don't innovate or develop their own products.

It's most likely that OP simply hasn't screwed the valve in properly, as I said earlier. That or there's a seal problem for which replacements can be found.

Last edited:
Jesus, enough with the Kegland and Kegking shit already. Like or dislike a product, simple as that.

Would end up looking pretty bad if you had a horse in the race and worked for KegKing too, I might add.

I have been adding 35psi when I crash chill it’s pretty much carbed ready to serve after a couple of days, sometimes it’ll drop a small puddle

Slightly OT but I was googling this exact question this morning haha. Thanks for describing this. How long are you at 35psi for before you can serve?

Yet another jib at KL, **** it's getting old dude. KL didn't exist when the first version of the fermentasaurus was released. If you want to throw jibs about, how about you throw them at oxbar, the company who made it!
Its a valid point the OP put forward, why aren't they giving rigorous testing before the release of a product, Georgedgerton isn't the first to complain about the leaks, it has been mentioned many times, hence the new butterfly valve. Oxbar is manufacturer of the blow moulding not the valves, KK is the retail/wholesaler. If (KK2018) started releasing products without testing and confirming they are marketable I would certainly complain about them.

I usually crash chill at 35 psi for 2 or 3 days, but of course once it chills down the pressure goes way below that, squeezing it to check I’d estimate 10 psi or less, never checked with a gauge tho

A final note on the dump valve leakage.
After transferring the contents to the keg and a good clean out, I discovered (as suggested) the six socket caps screws holding the assembly together still had between quarter and half turn before they nipped up. Didn't have any food grade lube to smear around the seal, so the good old glow-in-the-dark was applied. A bit of water and a pressure test; problem solved.

Latest posts

Back