Ferm Fridge Heating Option

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

uncyp

Reaction score
I have found my ferm fridge which I will rig up with a Frigmate- If I use a light bulb (which are harder to find in the global warming age) will my beer suffer light strike? I have heard that heat pads are not ideal as they warm bottom up. Are heat belts effective? Thoughts anyone?

light bulb is alright its UV light you dont want hitting your beer. So pick a light bulb that doesnt produce UV light (not sure what ones do) but I heard of a bottle shop use UV lights and the clear single bottles go off. maybe a halogen light??? I know they get hot so maybe be careful where you put it.

I use a heating pad in my fermenting fridge if it need heat. I dont put it under the fermenter though. i stick it in the door, or the vegie crisper or whatever you want so that its not touching the fermenter, just heating the air in the fridge. Works a treat. I've never used a light bulb.

I do something similar as yumyumyum, but use a heat belt and hang the lead over the door inside the fridge, so it just dangles inside the fridge and doesn't touch anything. ;)

I have found my ferm fridge which I will rig up with a Frigmate- If I use a light bulb (which are harder to find in the global warming age) will my beer suffer light strike? I have heard that heat pads are not ideal as they warm bottom up. Are heat belts effective? Thoughts anyone?

hey uncyp, check my thread ;)
Heat6.JPG

i'm a fan of heating (or rather, controlling) the environment temperature wise, not a specific spot on a fermenter. A heat pad, as you suggest, will run your yeast (slurry) much higher than the rest of wort. it won't provide accurate control imo and likely produce acetaldehyde, possibly fusels as side product. wrapping with a belt will work in a pinch, but again i wouldn't want any direct contact to my ferm as that contact point will be much higher than the rest of wort.. but i'd do belt over pad.. bulb idea has worked well for me.

Cheers
reVox

I was all set to do something similar to reVoX but then had difficulty finding older style lightbulbs with a decent wattage.

I ended up picking up a single mattress electric blanket from aldi for $20 (I think this week's special). I'll probably just stuff it losely around the fermenter and see how that pans out. Cheaper than a heat pad/belt and hopefully a bit more gentle. It will be in a closed space (fridge) so I'm betting on ambient temps to control as much as anything.

Just wondering what your target fermentation temperature is?

Fear_n_Loath

I use a heating pad in my fermenting fridge if it need heat. I dont put it under the fermenter though. i stick it in the door, or the vegie crisper or whatever you want so that its not touching the fermenter, just heating the air in the fridge. Works a treat. I've never used a light bulb.

i do something similiar also. im fermenting in a chesty and just put the heater pad on the hump away from the fermenter.
no direct contact with the fermenter but even in melbournes stupid up and down weather i can keep a good steady ale temp going.

Thanks for your repies guys - Revox nice solution - I am getting all my friends to save their old style light bulbs.

Over the last week or so I've had to warm my fridge a little.
I've just hung a heat belt inside the fridge, down the back of the fridge, near the cooling element.
There are 2x 12V fans to circulate the hot/cold air, and it seems keep the temp very even.

hey uncyp, check my thread ;)
Heat6.JPG

i'm a fan of heating (or rather, controlling) the environment temperature wise, not a specific spot on a fermenter. A heat pad, as you suggest, will run your yeast (slurry) much higher than the rest of wort. it won't provide accurate control imo and likely produce acetaldehyde, possibly fusels as side product. wrapping with a belt will work in a pinch, but again i wouldn't want any direct contact to my ferm as that contact point will be much higher than the rest of wort.. but i'd do belt over pad.. bulb idea has worked well for me.

Cheers
reVox

+1 to that. I used a small electric frypan set on the lowest setting but the light globe in a pot is a great idea.

Back