February It Is

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah Im not doing to good had a couple of glasses of wine with ice in it over the weekend, nothing so far this week... It's 40 or more degrees outside (im not complaining) and would love a beer... yesterday some dickhead parked me in at the train station so I was stuck waiting for over an hour and Im thinking can I just have a gin when I get home. I DIDNT.... Tonight Im back in the pool after two years... Aiming at doing 20... then get back to my 50 laps in a hour!

Yeah, but can you see your doodle when standing up? :D

The swimming is good, I started last week, first time ever and its bloody hard work.
Cheers,
Jake

Yeah, but can you see your doodle when standing up? :D

The swimming is good, I started last week, first time ever and its bloody hard work.
Cheers,
Jake

I nearly said something about that before but I thought I leave it alone!!!

How many laps are you doing???? we could have a swim off! I cheat I wear flippers!

Seemed like there was more time on the weekend than usual.

Ah, so the realisation that the weeekend consists of 2 full days has been reaquainted with. (Poor Black Books paraphrase)

Flippers here too Katie, I cant swim for shi$! :D

Im using flippers, goggles and one of those front mounted snorkels coz I cant breath. Its still hard work and if I do 20 laps in an hour Im happy. :)

Cheers,
Jake

to be honest I dont agree with dry months. I tend to apply a more moderate approach to cutting back. Less beers in one session, less beers early in the week, etc. And keep this going for the longer term. I find by watching others that cold turkey is usually cancelled out by binging afterwards. And besides that why punish yourself so severely.

Smoking might be different (I dont smoke so dont know), but if we treat drinking in the same way, shouldn't it be something we are aiming to stop altogether?? Finding a manageable healthy pattern of drinking is my preference.

To be honest I dont agree with dry months. I tend to apply a more moderate approach to cutting back. Less beers in one session, less beers early in the week, etc. <snip>

Finding a manageable healthy pattern of drinking is my preference.
Thats more my stance on the issue - never attempted one before and gotta admit for the week I was on the wagon I was thinking along the lines of "Come on, I just rode 15km on a 3-speed brazed-frame bicycle in a half-hour...its 8pm and still 34'C, and my favourite show is on...why can't I have a beer?"

...so I made a more resolute attempt - no more than a six-pack through the week for casual beers, after work, etc. And for weekends stick to the more moderate approach I've been using for a while; I'm a young guy and like to go out to clubs/bars/whatever on a Friday or Saturday night with mates, and of course this involves having a few beers. Instead of carrying on and drinking until 3am which is pretty much what we usually do, I decided a while ago to stop drinking at midnight and turn to water. I've found this helps enormously with hangovers the next morning and means you don't waste a day, as well as stopping ridiculous consumption of beer when you're already either tipsy or somewhat drunk.

As I said, its been working well so far :D

Cheers all - boingk

Yep all is good up here. I have not had a beer or any other type of alcohol so far and I am giong along quite nicely. The main point for me is not a alcohol thing it is a fitness thing. Less calories consumed and more exercise means by the end of the month I will be at my target weight. I don't drink Sunday to Thursday most of the time any way, but miss a beer when cooking a BBQ. To all no matter what your reason good luck and enjoy the health benifits you may find from Beer Free Feb. :)

Shawn

Just to weigh in on this, moderation in drinking is what I try to achieve. I don't usually drink during the week unless something is going on (visitors, other reasons to celebrate etc) and on weekends I usually go a few schooners but only go hard out occassionally.

Also after a LONG time of no exercise I am exercising regularly, but that was only because what I do (cycling) I really enjoy. I cycle 30km every day and drink moderately with some binging. Just try and find something that works for you. At the end of the day, if you get stuck into the yummy things too much you'll just kill yourself early and not watch your kids grow up.

Let me hop off my high horse, but you have no-one to justify your habits to except yourself - ask yourself "do I REALLY drink too much?" if you can honestly answer no then you're prolly OK

to be honest I dont agree with dry months. I tend to apply a more moderate approach to cutting back. Less beers in one session, less beers early in the week, etc. And keep this going for the longer term. I find by watching others that cold turkey is usually cancelled out by binging afterwards. And besides that why punish yourself so severely.

Yep moderation is the answer in the long run, but I'm not punishing myself, just seeing if I can hack a month off the grog. The fact that it takes some effort tells me it was a good idea.

At the end of the month I won't go on a bender. Hopefully be more inclined to find a few AFDs each week.

I did this late last year (it was harder the first time). When I finished I didn't go on a bender, in fact my consumption dropped to less than it was pre-month off.

I did it again because I was going down the 6-8 a night path again.

cheers

Darren

Keep going guys! March as well !
It's even better for you....ok I'll join you for March

Batz

Not a chance... March consists of 3 weddings, 2 bucks parties, a 21st, a brewday and a corporate conference that includes the Clipsal 500.

And my birthday :eek:

Yeah.... February had mine too, and I never even ended up having a beer... <_<

Shit Schooey, you might have to change your shirt order to 4XL :D

Good on you for doing this ,and I hope you gain something from it.
But after surgery last year causing my tackle to shrink back to little boy size, AND I can still see it :p , I will enjoy the brews nightly

Cheers
:beerbang:

I only have trouble seeing mine until I look at your avatar, Mantis.....

I had five dry years via AA and then got properly diagnosed and found that the reason I had been drinking so much was that I have a (mild) autistic spectrum disorder and had been using plonk to medicate myself. Most people can't pick anything different about me apart from a slight shyness and awkwardness on first meeting that soon dissipates. I also get great mileage out of my foreign accent. Typical high functioning Aspergers and wouldn't want to be anything different. B)

Now, no more plonk and I can truly enjoy real ales and fine lagers like I did in my 20s. :icon_cheers:

I think I've done a lifetime's worth of Februaries so I'll pass on this one.

I only have trouble seeing mine until I look at your avatar, Mantis.....

Haha. I wish schooey, I wish.
If she was life size and at my fridge, I am afraid :(

But its good that she gives joy to others.

aahhh, in another time and another place, sigh :rolleyes:

Ahhh fuggle it. I'm a late starter but I'll give it a go.

Wish me luck! :unsure:

Cheers,
Jake

Haven't had a beer since Jan 31, I'm over the half way mark. Tell me, what was the point of all this :unsure:
I think I've lost around 3 kilo's, but really need to lose around another 12-15kg to get to where I'd really like to be. By my calculations that will mean no more beer for at least another 10 weeks. Don't think I can hold out that long :wacko:

Good luck to everyone else on this long, lonesome journey.

Back