February It Is

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am reading Nigel Marsh's Fat, Forty and Fired. He was able to give up for a month several times with no problem but went straight back on with vengeance and ultimately realised he was an alcoholic. He has since given up altogether, or at least as to far as I am in the book.

Steve,

Beer is not bad for you. Its only bad if YOU can't stop drinking it. Stopping for a month gives me a piece of mind that I may not be an alcoholic.

Helps me me sleep at night knowing that I could have upto 14 kegs full of beer and i can stop.

Maybe give it a try mate. What do you have to lose?

cheers

Darren

EDIT: Come March 1 I will be as full as a boot

Totally agree Darren. Its just, it looks like, to a new AHB member thats getting into home brewing that a lot of older members from this site feel the need to 'ave a break, either you get fat or become an alcy? Its not the the best advertisment to advertise not drinking beer on a beer making site. Dont get be wrong, all the best to those involved but I wonder why they feel the need to announce they are on the wagon for a set period of time.
Cheers
Steve

maybe because some of those that feel the need to do it for their own benefit feel more confident with a little support?

Drinking beer is just soo good after the month off...

Be wary though, it will hit you harder than expected once you drink again!

maybe because some of those that feel the need to do it for their own benefit feel more confident with a little support?

fair enough - hence the reason for me referring to AA before. Dont get me wrong fellas - good for you! Maybe im in denial and just trying to gleen a bit of info from those that are going through it.
Cheers
Steve

By some people's definition of an alcoholic, I am one. By others, I'm not. I'm a bit like Darren, I just like to know that I am in control and that I can choose not to drink. Not for a day, or a couple of days, but for an extended period. Added to the fact that I had a full medical not so long ago and my liver function test was on the higher side of average, but still in the acceptable limit. My doc says that an alcohol free month will bring that back into check, so it works for me....

Got to admit too that I was happy to see Tony enter this. For me that makes it someone I've actually met, and I know how much he enjoys a beer. That gives me a bit of a drive to think well if he can give it up for a month, I can too.... :p

Good stuff Schooey.............Im glad your in it too.

Steve......... i have always been one of the "ahhhh ya wankers, bugger that" crowd, but i think deep down that was because i wanted to give it a go but was a bit nervous about it.

Its not too late to join in mate :)

48 hrs down for me (i saw this on the 2nd) and i feel really good. And my pants are already starting to free up a bit. I dont feel as bloated with fluids as i usually do.

cheers

re. the stop altogether, I did it for a fortnite once, for the first week took hours to drop off to sleep, then tossing and turning all nite, broken sleep etc.
When I want a spell now, I compromise by having only one bottle per nite of a 3 or 3.3% abv for a week or so.
Not as drastic as stopping altogether but like I say, a compromise.

stagga.

Ok i know its 4 days late but im in. Since christmas ive been drinking too much so i guess my body will enjoy the break. Its not all bad i still walk 5 mornings a week before work.

KHB

After a weekend of extreme heat = sitting at folks in law drinking beer all weekend + superbowl p*ssup at mates place on monday, I had a beer free night last night. Hence am 1/28'ths the way there.

Q - Was Feb chosen as it is the shortest month of the year :p or is that just coincidence? (haven't read the whole thread hence this may have been covered already!)

Edit - just read the thread, cancel that Q.

I am thinking maybe just having a few more alcohol free weeks over the coming months. But after 80 overs in the field playing cricket on Saturdays, I feel I deserve a little beverage.

+1 for me having to much over the Xmas break though. Once it cools down a bit, I'll be back into the exercise more.

But I take my hat off to you all who have taken or are doing this liver cleansing!

On the upside, you can still make beer!

Edit 2 - I may have a few weeks off, we shall see. Tonight shall be night 2.... hmmm.

I've always thought the "dry month" business is a bit iffy.

Just about everyone here will be counting down the days and will probably get absolutely blotto on the first day of March. Mission failed.

Sure a month will help your liver "detox", it probably won't help in the long run if you go back to drinking 6-7 nights a week.

Schedule yourself 2 or 3 AFDs per week and put 2 in a row so you don't have an "AFD" with alcohol still in your system. Surely its a lot better for your liver and the rest of your body.

Cheers (with a glass of water for you guys)

To all those wondering why people go off it for a month - they have their reasons. I started this thread for a few reasons, mainly this one;

FEBFAST

I was hoping a few of AHB members might like to sponsor me in this worthy cause.

Basically its to get kids off drugs & alcohol. Kids see us boozing on all the time (a few ads spring to mind) so its good for kids to see us not drinking at every opportunity too.

I have also named myself mckenry & AHB friends.

If you would like to donate, to help me reach my target of $200 that would be great. If not, no worries either.

To date I am at $20 donation from a work mate, plus the $25 in for registration and if I make the target their is some $ in it for this site too.

Regards,
mckenry

I'll definately have a beer on the first of march if im not working, but i definately won't be getting blotto. I hardly ever drink more than 3 pints , usually only 2. There are occasions though ( IBU get togethers, out with the mates once in a blue moon ), that the mood carries me away!!!, but not very often.

Im actually keen to see if i lose any weight. The men in my family, are, um... portly, and im trying to buck the trend. Im 30 next march, and im hopping to slim down to my pre 20's body. Doubt i'll get the 6 pack back, but im aiming high. I tried mental power, but damn it, shaman ramadooi's $500 mind power package just didn't work as advertised. The infomercial said it would work, d'oh :icon_cheers:

Just about everyone here will be counting down the days and will probably get absolutely blotto on the first day of March. Mission failed.

Sure a month will help your liver "detox", it probably won't help in the long run if you go back to drinking 6-7 nights a week.

Schedule yourself 2 or 3 AFDs per week and put 2 in a row so you don't have an "AFD" with alcohol still in your system. Surely its a lot better for your liver and the rest of your body.

Nothing wrong with detoxing the liver for an extended period. It actually helps it work better for some time after the detox. Keep up the water, my fellow dry lads, and (if you're like me) try not to eat more than you did while drinking.

I start every year with a 3 AFD plan, and within a few months, I find myself drifting off to the keg fridge with a handled glass every night. By breaking the pattern of daily drinking, it's MUCH easier to develop a behavioural pattern like a 3 AFD week.

I tried mental power, but damn it, shaman ramadooi's $500 mind power package just didn't work as advertised. The infomercial said it would work, d'oh :icon_cheers:

Um, were out of subliminally slim....

Aaah just give him the vocabulary builder.... :p

(quote from Simpsons for the uninitiated...)

I must say when this idea came up in january i had a laugh at the concept.

Having tried to put on an old pair of shorts (and failing) on the weekend i stopped laughing and realised what a month off the booze could do for me.

Not going to join in but will use this thread as motivation to at least moderate things this month. I am beer free so far this month.... but with a few events later on in the month i wont be making it 100% beer free.

Good luck to you all.

I uaually have 2 AFD's a week but i cant remember having one since Christmas.

KHB

To all those wondering why people go off it for a month - they have their reasons. I started this thread for a few reasons, mainly this one;

FEBFAST

I was hoping a few of AHB members might like to sponsor me in this worthy cause.

Basically its to get kids off drugs & alcohol. Kids see us boozing on all the time (a few ads spring to mind) so its good for kids to see us not drinking at every opportunity too.

I have also named myself mckenry & AHB friends.

If you would like to donate, to help me reach my target of $200 that would be great. If not, no worries either.

To date I am at $20 donation from a work mate, plus the $25 in for registration and if I make the target their is some $ in it for this site too.

Regards,
mckenry

Just wanted to bump this back up to the top. I made it through my first full weekend without one alcoholic drink passing my lips. SWMBO did try my APA and told me it was fantastic <_< - I smelt it and I think she was right. I have no idea how long it's been since I went a weekend without a beer. Seriously, many many many years. I did it though - so those of you that didnt sponsor me coz you thought I wouldnt / couldnt do it, well feel free to sponsor me whenever you like :D I left the link above. By the way, I'm having vivid dreams. NO NOT dirty ones.
How are all the other starters going? How was the first weekend?

Back