Fat Yak K&k Clone

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When I drink Fat Yak I find sometimes you get a real Cascade hit straight off the bat, with a much more subtle hop character at the end. That Cascade hit is sometimes like a punch in the face but sometimes is just a note. It seems to vary from case to case but I much prefer when it's a big hit. The NS character is little more than just a note.

If I were trying to clone it I'd probably start with a single 60 min addition of NS for bittering, a generous Cascade addition with maybe a hint (only a hint) of NS at 0 mins. The aroma is actually quite restrained, so I would steer clear of dry hopping altogether for my first attempt. IMO that's probably a starting point that would get you closer to the commercial product.

Just realised you're using a hopped kit. If that's the case I'd probably go with a single 0 minute addition, probably 75% Cascade, 25% NS.

if a recipe calls for hops @ 10 mins, the it's added the last 10 mins of the boil. So if the whole recipe has hops at 60, 40, and 10, then that is how long you boil them for, 60 mins, 40 mins, & 10 mins. Dry hops are usually added after 3-4 days ferment starts, as the fermentation can drive off some aroma at the start because it's so vigorous.

Hello,

Pardon my rookie state, but I have question. I am also going to give this recipe a shot. I have always done k&k, a couple of wet paks, but am looking to move along a bit. I understand the boiling times of hops, but what are we boiling? Is it the 1.7 kg can contents and the light malt extract with bit of water. If so how much water?

Thanks again and love reading the forum

andy

I have been told that when they do a fat yak all the hops are added at flame out well I think I was told to bitter at about 15IBU at a 60min boil and dump the rest in the whirlpool 30g cascade to 5 grams NS comes to memory but not 100% sure on that but id skip the bittering use a low bittered kit and bring 600g LDME to boil with 6lts of water and then boil for 10mins shut off heat add maybe the 30g cascade and 5g NS to start off with give it a good swirl put the lid on for 10-15 mins and then submerge the pot in water to cool fast.

whippee you boil with a boil gravity of about 1040 is ideal but lower and higher can be used. For extract or K&K use 100g of LDME to 1 lt of water for liquid I am not to sure it may be like 120g per lt or something never used liquid

I think I was told to bitter at about 15IBU at a 60min boil and dump the rest in the whirlpool 30g cascade to 5 grams NS.

If this is true I really wasn't too far off the mark... Might have to give it a go...

discoloop said:
I'd probably go with a single 0 minute addition, probably 75% Cascade, 25% NS.

Hello,

Pardon my rookie state, but I have question. I am also going to give this recipe a shot. I have always done k&k, a couple of wet paks, but am looking to move along a bit. I understand the boiling times of hops, but what are we boiling? Is it the 1.7 kg can contents and the light malt extract with bit of water. If so how much water?

Thanks again and love reading the forum

andy

If doing kit's, then generally the kit itself is not boiled as this can drive off some of the aroma from it (if it in fact had any to start with). For extract recipes, as said, a gravity of around 1035-1040 is where you want to aim. This gets you the most out of your hops because this gravity is where isomerisation (locking in those bittering) will take place at a greater rate. It's always best to boil the full volume of wort, but it's not always practical with extract brewing. I tend to boil around 10L with 1kg of dme/lme and add the rest, be it kit or more extract in the last few mins of the boil.

:icon_cheers:

Hey Guys,

I'm going to try to put together a clone of this clone recipe tomorrow based on ingredients I could find/already had lying around. I need help regarding the best way to put them all together though.

I have:

1 can coopers Pale Ale
1 x BE2
250g Dextrose
2 x 12g Nelson Sauvin Hop teabags
2 x 12g Cascade Teabags.

I'm just wanting ideas on how best to chuck it all together as I'm pretty new to homebrewing still.

thanks a million in advance. :icon_chickcheers:

Tony

Hi,

I'm a fan of the Fat Yak and a family member bought me a Coopers Pale kit for Christmas so I may as well put it to good use with this recipe.

Problem is the LHBS(s) here in Adelaide don't seem to stock Nelson Sauvin at the momnet. Does anyone know of a suitable alternative for NS for this brew? And if so, what quantities?

cheers in advance!

Nelson Sauvin is a very unique hop that cant really be replaced. Have you looked at ordering online? One of the site sponsors will more than likely have it

Nelson Sauvin is a very unique hop that cant really be replaced. Have you looked at ordering online? One of the site sponsors will more than likely have it
Hi, thanks for the info. I looked online at Beer Belly, Brew Adelaide and Craft Brewer. I just assumed there must be a NS shortage at the moment, so I went looking for alternatives.

Yep, agree with Keifer. Based upon some recipe suggestions that i've read, probably a close(ish) substitute would be Citra??

Nelso Sauvin as an absolute ripper of a hop. It's hands down my favourite hop, but it needs to be used with caution. If you overdo it, you'll end up with nothing but fruit salad.

My house beer is a Nelson Sauvin SMASH (single malt single hop - im an all grain brewer), it's an amazing hop if used with care.

Just ordered half a kilo from Ross (Craftbrewer) this morning, can't wait for the weekend - BREWDAY!!

Hey Guys,

I just did this recipe up a while back and it has been in the bottle a few weeks now... Had one last night, TASTES GREAT but it is fizzy as anything... Kind ahas the texture of champagne... I just used the 2 coopers drops as I have done will all batches in my fledgeling brewing career.... Will this settle down the longer it ages?

Tony

not sure if it will settle down. was it fully fermented out??? I found carb drops inconsistent and over carbed. So I just used sugar or dextrose with a scope that was modified. I weighed the sugar to what each bottle needed then cut the scope to the level of the sugar

not sure if it will settle down. was it fully fermented out??? I found carb drops inconsistent and over carbed. So I just used sugar or dextrose with a scope that was modified. I weighed the sugar to what each bottle needed then cut the scope to the level of the sugar

Hey,

yeh, it was definitely done fermenting... Same reading over 3-4 days... I think It's a case of the drops being too potent... I might try next batch (toucan real ale and Aust pale ale and 1kg dextrose) with just one drop instead of the 2 and see how it goes..... Shame cos the Yak clone tastes great....

Oh well, hopefully It'll chill out?? We'll see huh..

Thanks mate

You could open each bottle and then reseal it to let a bit of the pressure out. if left for a week or two the fizz will calm down a bit.

Ok,

Putting the first one down tonight after bottling the Lager currently in the fermenter.

Wish me luck!

Ok,

Putting the first one down tonight after bottling the Lager currently in the fermenter.

Wish me luck!

Ok, I got this into the fermenter last night. Took my Starting gravity, and it was a little on the low side for what I would have expected, with that much fermentables in there. It came to 1.037.

Is it possible I just didnt mix it properly?

Ok, I got this into the fermenter last night. Took my Starting gravity, and it was a little on the low side for what I would have expected, with that much fermentables in there. It came to 1.037.

Is it possible I just didnt mix it properly?

Took a samply last night after dry hopping the fermenter. It's extremely bitter, though if you hold it in your mouth a while, some of the other hop flavour comes through.
Is it likely some of that bitterness will mellow with time, without losing the other flavours? I guestimate that I have about another week to go in the fermenter. Then I intend to leave it another 4 in the bottle before cracking.

Took a samply last night after dry hopping the fermenter. It's extremely bitter, though if you hold it in your mouth a while, some of the other hop flavour comes through.
Is it likely some of that bitterness will mellow with time, without losing the other flavours? I guestimate that I have about another week to go in the fermenter. Then I intend to leave it another 4 in the bottle before cracking.

I am making a Fat Yak Style Pale ale at the moment. After 2 weeks of fermenting, the beer was still relatively bitter as well. The beer is currently conditioning in 750ml Grolsch Flip top bottles. I really hope the bitterness does mellow.

Just had another taste, couldnt help myself!

Ok, the bitterness is still there, but it isnt the first thing you taste. I think this is going to turn out to be a wee little ripper! Cant wait!

Back