Fat Yak K&k Clone

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My understanding is that the wheat malt extract is steeped, then the LDME/dextrose is added with water and boiled until hot break is reached (maybe not? Or just go straight to adding hops once it's boiling?). Add 15g Cascade/15g NS, boil 10 mins, add 15g NS, turn off heat. Add 1.7kg Coopers can, stir in, strain into fermenter, add dry hop and extra water to temperature, pitch yeast and away we go.

I haven't done any dry hopping yet by from what I've read on here you dry hop after a few days of fermemting has taken place.
Like maybe day 4 or 5 ? (Not 100% sure if someone else can confirm)

Yes. After four or five days take the lid off the fermenter and throw the hops in. Don't worry about oxygen getting in and ruining your beer because after 4 or 5 days of fermentation there should be a thick layer of CO2 that will act like a blanket (because CO2 is heavier than oxygen). They don't need to be in a hop bag - they can just be loose pellets.
Don't leave the lid off for ages but a few seconds should be fine.

Well Mines ready to bottle. It's tasting awesome!

Might get the bottles ready tonight, and do it tomorrow evening!

Well Mines ready to bottle. It's tasting awesome!

Might get the bottles ready tonight, and do it tomorrow evening!
only just now got a chance to sample a bottle. It's mighty tasty.

I'm really looking for a hop aroma kick in the teeth though, so if I were to increase the hop additions, but a half, or even double, any educated guesses as to what this would do to the brew?

Fat Yak.
1.7kg Black Rock IPA
1.0kg DME
15g Cascade hops @15min
15g Nelson Sauvin hops @15min
15g Cascade hops @5min
15g Nelson Sauvin hops @5min
US-05 Yeast

Fermented for 14 days at 18 degrees then filtered into a Keg.

Drinking the above right now. Only 3 weeks since I put it in the fermenter and already very nice. In fact I've been drinking it for the last week! The hops are starting to fade now, and they were so nice. Will add more hops next time perhaps and dry hop.

Hey Tim

I just got all the ingredients to brew the top receipe over the weekend.

Looking forward to the end result.

Cheers Matt

Good luck matt I've got the ingredients too just need to bottle a Amarillo ale that's been cold conditioning since late July.. Just dry hopped yesterday with another 25grams of Amarillo which brings it too a total of 85grams.. Love the hop flavours.. Good luck matt

Thanks Tim I'll let you know how I go. The Amarillo sounds hopped to the max!!

Good luck matt I've got the ingredients too just need to bottle a Amarillo ale that's been cold conditioning since late July.. Just dry hopped yesterday with another 25grams of Amarillo which brings it too a total of 85grams.. Love the hop flavours.. Good luck matt

Yer 40gms of it has been dry hopped.. Some of the hop flavor will disappear so I've compenstated for it.. Haha.. It's good mate get on it..

Hey Guys with this recipe how much water are you boiling?
I'd like to give this a try and see how it turns out thanks

Bisho

Just put this one down but upped the hops a little added an extra 15g of cascade at flameout and I'll dry hop with 15g of both Instead of just cascade just to increase the flavor...

Im over in NZ and have heard many people talking about Fat Yak and that it was a pretty good Pale Ale (which is my drinking style of choice) and plenty of people were posting recipes etc for this particular drop.

So it was to my suprise to find it available at a local Food Store yesterday. I quickly snapped up a 6pk and didnt even bother buying food. Went home and gave it a whirl.

I must say, I was completely disappointed with it actually. Found it to be lacking in bitterness, flavour and aroma, of which out of the bottle there was barely none. Stock wasnt that old.

In anycase, this post is about a Fat Yak clone. So I am going to keep a bottle of the commercial product and make a clone for a comparison, as Im sure with fresh ingredients, I can make it much better.

Havent decided yet if I will go full extract or K&B....may even try a mini BIAB that I have just started doing.

Anyways, thats my 2c on the actual commercial product and thoughts about making a clone.

Cheers all and happy brewing!

I made a brew recently tasted quite similar to fat yak prob better. I was drinking it with a mate who had a 6er of fat yak.The taste was very similar its gunna be my staple now!
It was a cascade pale ale with 25g of cascade hops just dropped into wort with brew enhancer.Im gunna try this again next brew day and put it in recipe D/B if it turns out the samecoz it was damn tasty

Would I be right in concluding it is predominantly the inclusion of Nelson Sauvin hops that give the characteristic floral citrusy taste to Fat yak, Little creatures and a few others I have tasted at WA micro brewries?

did a side by side with my Yak clone and the real thing.

Mines on the right...

apart from mine being a bit darker - flavour and aroma was pretty close.

Must say I am pretty proud of this one.

Heres the recipe I used

1 can Tooheys Classic Dry Lager (I use any old can of goo for a base)
750g Dried Light Malt
120g light Crystal Malt
120g Dark Crystal Malt
1kg Honey
10g Nelson Sauvin Hops @ 15mins
15g Nelson Sauvin Hops @ 5mins
10g Nelson Sauvin Hops @ 0mins
US05 yeast

(edited to add the recipe)

I must say that this is a real nice drop and i will be making it again i too am proud of this one best one so far. Tasted it's best after a week in the keg.

bisho

Hey guys this is how im rolling currently.. could i grab some opinion please..

Ingredients:
1.7kg Coopers Pale Ale Kit
1kg LDME
45g Cascade Hops Pellets
45g Nelson Sauvin Hops Pellets
US05 Yeast
150g Wheat Malt Extract - Steep
250g Dextrose

Recipe:
-Dissolve 750g Light Dry Malt Extract
-Add 1 x Coopers Pale Ale Kit
- Add Boil.
- Top up to 23L.
- Pitch with US05 Yeast Re Hydrated.

Boil:
- Bring 2L of water to boil.
- Dissolved 250g Light Dry Malt Extract.
15g Cascade hops @10min
15g Nelson Sauvin hops @10min
15g Nelson Sauvin hops @0min
15g Cascade hops - @0min
- Hop additions as per above.
- Allow to cool than added to fermenter.

Dry Hop:
15g Cascade hops dry hop
15g Nelson Sauvin dry hop

Racked Off
Racked Off 19.10.2011
Cold Conditioning Started

Latest posts

Back