Fat Yak K&k Clone

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Gday Guys,
Finally sorted myself out and go the ingredients to knock out the brew.. Ive got with:

1.7kg Coopers Pale Ale
1kg Light Dry Malt Extract
150g Wheat Malt Extract - Steep
250 grams Dextrose
15g Cascade hops @10min
15g Nelson Sauvin hops @10min
15g Nelson Sauvin hops @0min
15g Cascade hops dry hop
US-05 Yeast

Looking forward to it so should be exciting... It will be going in when my dark ale comes out on the 14th... Cheers Ross at CB for the stuff

Gday Guys,
Finally sorted myself out and go the ingredients to knock out the brew.. Ive got with:

1.7kg Coopers Pale Ale
250 grams Dextrose
15g Cascade hops @10min
15g Cascade hops dry hop
US-05 Yeast

Looking forward to it so should be exciting... It will be going in when my dark ale comes out on the 14th... Cheers Ross at CB for the stuff

You wont regret it.

I tried mine again last night. Had to stop myself puring myself another from the fermenter!

Did you do this from the recipe on my original post?

Good Form i cant wait... How did you steep the Wheat Malt Extract?

Can anyone explain the flavours that a wheat extract place in a beer?

Can anyone explain the flavours that a wheat extract place in a beer?

Not sure about the flavour but i understand that wheat extract adds a different mouth feel to the beer. To be honest i can't quite describe it.

If the wheat is in a powder form it does not require steeping just add it like any other dry malt extract.

With only 150g I doubt it will make any major contribution to the recipe at all. Head retention and body probably gone for 300-500g.

I picked up half a kilo of the stuff so I might put in a little extra... Will it raise the alcohol content though? Will if just increase the Head retention and add body will there be a change in flavour? I have just got the dry extract

I picked up half a kilo of the stuff so I might put in a little extra... Will it raise the alcohol content though? Will if just increase the Head retention and add body will there be a change in flavour? I have just got the dry extract

Wheat malt extract is a mixture of barley dme and wheat so yes it will increase the alcohol content. Just use and calculate as you would any dried malt extract.

I have used wheat on a few occasions usually 500g to kit and bits and I cannot really make out any distinctive flavour addition.

I am not a great fan of wheat only beers so god knows why I put wheat in mine. I read it on the internet that it makes better brews so it must be right.

Latest brew just bottled is a Galaxy Golden Ale based on Dr. Smurto's recipe and I put a pile of wheat in 500g dry + can of Coopers wheat so should pick up some wheat flavour from that.

So should I back off on the LDME? To bring it up about a kilo of extract...like 750grams of LDME and 250grams wheat?

Too much mucking around just add 250g + LDME should be good. If you are worried about alcohol content then just drop the dex.

Have not run the numbers but should not be that high in alcohol as is, nothing wrong with a 5% + beer IMO.

I have only had Fat Yak on tap and was not overly impressed hope the bottled version is better. Must make an effort to try but am hooked on T Taylor Landlord at the moment.

Cheers thanks very much for the advice... Cheers Tropical

Gday Guys,

1.7kg Coopers Pale Ale
250 grams Dextrose
15g Cascade hops @10min
15g Cascade hops dry hop
US-05 Yeast

This may be a silly question, I'm just starting out and I've read some conflicting information. When exactly do you add the 1.7kg Cooper Pale Ale? Just trying to get the process set in my head. Is it correct that you don't boil it as it is pre-hopped?

My understanding is that the wheat malt extract is steeped, then the LDME/dextrose is added with water and boiled until hot break is reached (maybe not? Or just go straight to adding hops once it's boiling?). Add 15g Cascade/15g NS, boil 10 mins, add 15g NS, turn off heat. Add 1.7kg Coopers can, stir in, strain into fermenter, add dry hop and extra water to temperature, pitch yeast and away we go.

Have I got it right?

Wheat malt extract does not require steeping just use same as any dry extract.

Use 200g of wheat malt extract in 2L of boiling water then add hops and boil for 10mins.

Everything else can go into fermenter and mix with water. Wash out can with boiling water to get all the extract out into fermenter.

Add the boiled hops and extract you can strain or not does not really matter that much. Mix thoroughly and when the temperature is down to about 18C add the yeast.

Wheat malt extract does not require steeping just use same as any dry extract.

Use 200g of wheat malt extract in 2L of boiling water then add hops and boil for 10mins.

Everything else can go into fermenter and mix with water. Wash out can with boiling water to get all the extract out into fermenter.

Add the boiled hops and extract you can strain or not does not really matter that much. Mix thoroughly and when the temperature is down to about 18C add the yeast.

Fantastic, thanks mate. The 1kg LDME goes straight into the fermenter also?

Fantastic, thanks mate. The 1kg LDME goes straight into the fermenter also?

Yep no need to boil, just stir the sh**T out of it to get it to dissolve.

heard it dissolves better in cool water than hot but cannot verify that.

Latest posts

Back