Fat Yak K&k Clone

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

timryan

Reaction score
Gday guys after much searching i only came across AG ways to brew a Fat Yak Clone... While on the net i stubbled arcoss this on though and i thought i would try and get a few opinions..

Fat Yak.
1.7kg Coopers Pale ale
1kg Light Dry Malt
250 grams Dextrose
15g Cascade hops @10min
15g Nelson Sauvin hops – @10min
15g Nelson Sauvin hops – @0min
15g Cascade hops dry hop
US-05 Yeast

it does also say that you could use 150g Wheat Malt extract - Steep (if you can get some it will help).. Ive never used wheat malt extract does it make a big difference?

or this one

1x coopers pale ale
1kg ldme
250g dextrose
33g cascade at 10min
27g Nelson Sauvin at 10mins
28g Nelson Sauvin at 0min
and 32g cascade dry hopped

Just wondering what you guys thought..

I can't tell you if it will end up with a fat yak clone but the top recipe inparticular looks like it will make a very decent kits and bits beer.

Wheat malt extract won't need to be steeped - just added like any other extract. Should help with body and head retention depending on how much is used. It will also add to/change flavour if used in large amounts.

Keep it simple, go for the top one as is. Boil 250 grams of the dry malt in 2 1/2 litres of water for your hop boil. Dissolve the rest with your tin.

Don't worry overly if you get lumpy 'maltesers'. They will dissolve in the brew as it ferments. However if you have a whisk (clean, sanitised) that will help dissolve them properly at the beginning.

I've made the one on the top (before turning to all grain brewing) and can vouch that it is a very nice drop, I tasted it side by side with a fat yak, homebrew was hoppier but both I and my partner thought it was better ( she didn't know which was what when tasting). The real fat yak I think is more malty despite the "truck load of hops"on the label. There is also a very subtle roastiness to the real one as well. I fermented with 1056/05.Made several of these and ended up dry hopping with 15g of nelson as well as the cascade,which explains why it was hoppier than the real one.

Occassionally, when I want a quick keg-filler, I'll put down a TCB Wal's Pale Ale, TCB Euro blend (some mix of dex, LDME and lactose,) 200g steeped crystal and about 15-20g Cascade or NS either steeped or dry-hopped. It's more or less the Country Brewer's K&B recipe for Fat Yak. Doesn't taste exactly like it but it's a damn good beer.

My rendition of A Fat Yak clone - actually tastes nothing like Fat Yak and is lighter, but it is very, very nice, hops really stand out. Good creamy head and excellent lacing.

Plump Yak

22 ltrs.
1.5 kg Cooper LME Light x 2
250g DME light
150g light malt grain (3EBC)
150g Carared (40EBC)
10g Cascade @ 30 mins - 5% AA
5g Nelson Sauvin @ 30 mins - 11.4% AA
10g Cascade @10mins
5g Nelson Sauvin @ 10 mins
10 g Cascade @ 5 mins
5g Nelson Sauvin @ 5 mins
US – 05 Yeast.

Dry hop 22g Cascade at day 4-5 of Fermentation.

Steep grain for 30 mins at 65 Deg C in 1 ltr of water, strain/Spage with 1 ltr of warm water in to boil wort, total wort 5 ltrs, add 620g ish of LME to bring up to 1040. Boil for 30 mins adding hops as above.

I hate to say it, but if it doesnt taste anything like Fat Yak, then it ain't a Fat Yak clone.

Congratulations you made a beer.

Tim,

No sure if it will be a clone but those hops will be tasty, i think your on a winner there no matter if it's a clone or not.

thanks bob just wondering is your opinion in regards to the first or second recipe that i wrote up? Cheers tim

Tim, I agree with bob, i think both will produce good beer, if i was brewing i woud probably do the first one the different additions would more likely have a more layered flavour and aroma at the end of the fermentation.

Jan

Hey Tim,

Agree with other posters, the top on looks like the go, you will get plenty of flavour and give you an idea what you think hops your using, the second one might be a little too big, really depends on you taste. If it was me I would try the first and if you want more of a hop bomb go from there.

Cheers BDB

I'd go for the first recipe also, will come out much hopper than a Fatty but I like the look of it. If your keen on liquid yeast grab a pack of Wyeast 1272 American ale 2 ferment cool

Awesome thanks fellas ill add it to my to do list haha.. Its getting longer and longer haha

Hey Tim,

Agree with other posters, the top on looks like the go, you will get plenty of flavour and give you an idea what you think hops your using, the second one might be a little too big, really depends on you taste. If it was me I would try the first and if you want more of a hop bomb go from there.

Cheers BDB
+1 bottom recipe way too hoppy might be alright if using light malt instead of the pale ale kit.

Fat Yak.
1.7kg Coopers Pale ale
1kg Light Dry Malt
250 grams Dextrose
15g Cascade hops @10min
15g Nelson Sauvin hops @10min
15g Nelson Sauvin hops @0min
15g Cascade hops dry hop
US-05 Yeast

Hi Guys....

I'm gonna have a shot at this on the weekend and need something explained to me if that's cool...?

With the addition of hops, I'm wondering what is actually meant by '@10Min" etc.... Does this go in 10 mins into the boil? How long should the boil actually boil for??

Dry hopping I assume is the addition of the dry hops into the fermenter after a few days or is it before pitching the yeast?

hmmm... so many little things I'm picking up on but I couldn't find an explanation for these ones....

Thanks in advance.... :)

Tony

if a recipe calls for hops @ 10 mins, the it's added the last 10 mins of the boil. So if the whole recipe has hops at 60, 40, and 10, then that is how long you boil them for, 60 mins, 40 mins, & 10 mins. Dry hops are usually added after 3-4 days ferment starts, as the fermentation can drive off some aroma at the start because it's so vigorous.

if a recipe calls for hops @ 10 mins, the it's added the last 10 mins of the boil. So if the whole recipe has hops at 60, 40, and 10, then that is how long you boil them for, 60 mins, 40 mins, & 10 mins. Dry hops are usually added after 3-4 days ferment starts, as the fermentation can drive off some aroma at the start because it's so vigorous.

Aah thanks mate... Great to learn all this new stuff... Shit, it's all new to me.. :)

Thanks again

Tony

Very similar to a fat yak clone I put down
think i started hop additions at 15 mins though
and i used an blacks rocks east indian pale ale as the base
waiting for it to condition now :D

good work fellas im looking forward to trying this one too it may possible be the next one to go down for me. That or a JSGA style clone

Back