Farmer Needed - Breeding program

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
hoppy2B said:
That is just vile and disgusting commentary from individuals who clearly suffer from some sort of mental derangement that qualifies them to say whatever they want in response to someone making honest input.
In all honesty hoppy you have given some good advice and some not so good advice, we are all on a learning curb here....an everyday part of life > life, something that Yob and a few others are trying to spawn in the way of New varieties. We all swallow our words sometime in our life and some more than others. I say instead of being negative put forward some encouraging and positive input which you have clearly lacked recently on similar topics.

Out of curiosity, have the seeds been checked/ok'd by quarantine?

There might be some vic hop growers who get pretty worried about seeds imported through irregular channels.

Not meaning to imply Yob is acting inappropriatly, just flagging it in case others think it can be done without checking regulations.

a huge issue with farming will be the weather, I know like der everyone knows that but if a crop gets wiped out is that farmer on their own in the venture? Is it each persons risk? Getting things going as a collective sound s great but consider the cost incurred by someone losing a watered, fertilised and tendered crop that gets obliterated by unforeseen weather, pests etc

you have you considered hydro hop farming in the early stages of growth?

Losing resultant flowers it is a possibility from bad weather, it's unlikely that the zomes would be killed though.

Hot houses on that scale are not financially viable, propagation perhaps, actual growth in don't think so.

Also remember, we aren't constrained by some factors the commercial yards are, we have, at the end of the day, it's a bit of fun with an interesting outcome if it works, the worst that can happen is we all end up swapping kilos of flowers ;)

Kodos said:
Out of curiosity, have the seeds been checked/ok'd by quarantine?
There might be some vic hop growers who get pretty worried about seeds imported through irregular channels.
Not meaning to imply Yob is acting inappropriatly, just flagging it in case others think it can be done without checking regulations.
This is a good point. You can get in serious trouble importing seeds if hasn't been approved.

When I buy plants and seeds online I assume the seller has taken care of the quarantine issues

You buy from overseas? I wouldn't always assume that they are OK to import. Australian quarantine laws differ from other countries and are very strict for good reasons.

yep all good, I was thinking that a hydro set up to find the male and do all the scientific stuff might be easier in a controlled environment not so much suggesting the commercial hydro set up for you

Good luck with it!

Never got seeds or plants from overseas before ......Western Australia has pretty strict quarantine laws so never thought I would be able to get them

anyone needing zomes, first dibs on my freshly dug up Canterbury Goldings and Chinook are to the people here..

Didnt have a lot of luck with finding the male this year but its a good idea to establish the females anyway.. we persevere

I'll take 6 kilos of the dw.........never mind.

If a wee snippet of Goldings can be hived-off that Goldings crown, I'd appreciate the opportunity.

Mardoo said:
Mate, you already have Goldings crown from me waiting for you. Same Canterbury as Yob's
Derrrr.......Thanks! Too much acid in the '60's, obviously.... :huh:

How goes the project for this season yob?

Latest posts

Back