Farmer Needed - Breeding program

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Those that are involved in the program, will naturally have full disclosure, I'm pretty excited though and these opportunities don't come along all the time as far as I know.. I was pretty lucky to get the seeds I did and I've held onto them for a year or so now while researching the best way to go with them :)

$68,000+ a year to make it work....a few share holders and plenty of love to drive this if serious:blink: bit out of reach for me based on distance but sure as hell would love to throw some $$$ at it

Biggest cost will be setting up the yard to begin with, posts, wire etc, keep in mind, this is about developing something that 'may' be viable commercially eventually, initially, it's about developing our own cultivars

Make your own posts out of trees. Or if that's not an option pine logs are pretty bloody cheap to buy (sometimes you can "find" piles of them at roadworks sites after hours), then if you're just using gal fencing wire that's about $180 for a 1500m roll... Add a few dozen pickets, joiners, wire strainers, few other bits and bobs. Unless you're setting up an irrigation system it shouldnt cost you much more than a grand. If only you were after a property up the mid-north coast NSW it would be game on :)

Trying something similar but smaller scale just for fun , got 50 odd seeds to try and find a male , only 2 have sprouted so far

Hope more sprout

Best of luck , will be interested how you go sprouting your seeds

Need a good water supply too. The hops I've seen grown are normally on river flats with pumping rights from the river. Is this true Yob?

Sent from my iPhone using Aussie Home Brewer

If only you had a Vietnamese rubber farmer that could help :)

Sorry couldn't resist, and I by no means want to bring this topic down, because it's got my interest, if only I had some land, but ½ an acre isn't going to help much.

Damn. My old man offered the back house paddock to me for growing hops. Almost an acre with access to a spring fed dam (though it would need some pipe and a pump to supply). But now it looks like they're selling up and moving to town. Spewing.

Sounds like Martin's place would be ideal. You could enlist pickers from AHB and pay them in flowers. Even hold a case swap and brew a harvest ale of epic proportions. Quick guys, get some poles up before Mrs MartinOC gets wind of this!

Subscribed.

Would you consider a kickstarter or similar crowd-funding venture to bankroll it?
PS, I'm guessing Amarillo.

Whatever hop comes out of this may have characteristics of the original, but won't be the same, at least according to what I've read. The reason all Citra tastes like Citra is every plant is a clone of the mother plant, grown from rhizome taken from the original mother plant. Pretty cool! Every Citra is actually exactly the same plant as the first, and so on for all the other varieties. Flavor and aroma drift are significant when growing from seed.

Yeah I read the same thing but I think some of the traits will transfer from parent to offspring ... like anything will

wont be 100% different and wont be 100% exactly the same

Need to grow a fair amount of seeds , I think , to have a decent amount of plants to select from for breeding

Going to be a bit of fun

ps . on the plant breeders rights page they say you can use someone else's patented seeds/plants for breeding other plant varieties legally , without permission of the owner

page says

Exceptions to PBR - other uses of a plant variety
The exceptions to plant breeder's rights are the use of the variety:
  • privately and for non-commercial purposes
  • for experimental purposes
  • for breeding other plant varieties
Don't think youll get sued

From seed you could argue it's not what they have patented

If it was a field started from rhizomes they could tell you to stop

I guess to that end, all our females will be rhizomes, I'm only really looking for an A male really..

Then cross cascade, Columbus, cascade Vic secret etc.

Back