Farmer Needed - Breeding program

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yob

Hop to it
Reaction score
Morning all, Im after a farmer, Ive got some seeds of a well known and much loved US varitey that Im hoping I can get a male from this year, if successful, I'd like to propogate it and use it in a hop breeding trial, partly just as fun, partly because I think it'd be cool and partly because having my/our own varitey of hop would be effing awesome.

Must be a Vic based farmer, Id be happy to help with the work setting it up, poles, lines etc, I'd see an initial yard of maybe 4 rows x 10 each row and then depending on the rub, selection and expansion from there.

will take a few years with absolutely no certainty in it, but you never know, we may get lucky :)

Either way, I think it'll be a fun experiment if anyones keen, let me know, naturally, it all depends on getting a good male this year to spring from.

Cheers

This better not distract from your primary bulk buyer role! :lol:

Good luck with the endeavour - have you thought of heading along to the various farmers markets to spruke your idea there?

mofox1 said:
This better not distract from your primary bulk buyer role! :lol:

Good luck with the endeavour - have you thought of heading along to the various farmers markets to spruke your idea there?
Not sure if the farmer's markets are the right places to spruik.

Much better to have a stakeholder who is interested in hops for their own sake.

Not my call, though.

I agree Les, much better to have a love attachment on this, especially considering it's likely ot be a few years until any decent selection and bulk breeding could happen, it's a fair commitment for someone not interested in the development of something new, especially if that person was not a brewer.. at least a brewing farmer can get something out of it along the way.

:)

Les the Weizguy said:
Not sure if the farmer's markets are the right places to spruik.

Much better to have a stakeholder who is interested in hops for their own sake.

Not my call, though.
Maybe the man that Yob is looking for is staring back at him in the mirror? :D

yobbo.jpg

Yob said:
I would mate, but I have no farm, my backyard will not suffice for this sadly -_-
I'm happy to dedicate 1m^2 of my tiny backyard to your hopes and dreams Yob, just to see those little yobbo's poke their head through the soil.

Or you could ask for land from people on kickstart :ph34r:

I've got 10 acres yob but I'm probably a bit far for you to just pop round to see how they're going like I know I would if I had a project like this going.

Yob said:
I like the opening descriptors up to but not incusive of violent and overtones of pakkie bashing...
I think he meant "Resident of Pakenham". The bashing part is just a local pastime.

Yob, I have PLENTY of space & good soil where I'm going, with good Northerly aspect...

Wanna play?

The AHB hop growing Conglomerate

Me likey, still all depends on me getting the male to go from.

I'd be happy to divvy up to 2 or 3 separate yards, could provide many more opportunities for variation.

The seeds I have are not Cascade.

'Sound like a very interesting plan.

'Open to providing space, 'though I've not grown hops before now, I'm definitely interested in the project.

Feel it's prudent being a public forum mate, I don't want to end up admitting to anything that can be held against me.. Better cautious than sued ;)

Latest posts

Back