Matts First Ag Adventure

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
6:00am Day 3 (second day of fermentation). The krausan has subsided, and rather than a huge layer of froth, now the top is clear but bubbles like champagne. The airlock is down to 1/second and the laundry smells like beer!

mobrien said:
OK - my profile says I'm a "mini mash" - but damn it, I'm an AGer now!

;)

M
[post="70415"][/post]​

So does that mean that people have beer god as their profile are actually better than that or does it simply imply that they have got verbal diarear. :p

Borret

6:30am Day 4 (3rd of fermentation). Bubbling has really slowed now, down to 1/45 second out the airlock. I also have the largest yeast cake I have ever had its over the 1L mark on the fermenter but below the sediment reducer which is good. I tested the gravity, and its already at 1013, which is getting close to end of primary into the secondary on the weekend I would think. I dont know if this is tragic, but I also chilled the 100mL I tested the gravity of, and gave it a taste (at 6:30am) its bloody nice, and thats unaged and uncarbonated. I think this is going to be an awesome beer I think another batch of this will make the Christmas case :D

I've gotta add - that the delightful citrus/spice aftertaste lasted for about 15 minutes after! Awesome!

A very happy camper here :D

Borret said:
mobrien said:

;)

M
[post="70415"][/post]​

So does that mean that people have beer god as their profile are actually better than that or does it simply imply that they have got verbal diarear. :p

Borret
[post="70566"][/post]​

It is system generated Borrett.
Once you get above about 500 posts (from memory) you can change it to what you want.

Rank # of Posts
Amateur Brewer 0
Kit Master 20
Krausen 50
Great Head 75
Partial Man 100
Mini Mash 150
Mash Maestro 200
Brew Master 250
Beer God 350

Beers,
Doc

Docc, I realise this. I was being sarcastic.

But you took the bait well. :p

Borret :blink:

mobrien - thats a great thread you put together there. Very informative, funny, a bit pannicky here n there but well done. I didnt actually realise it was as easy to do all grain until you put this thread up. The step by step pics were excellent too. Make sure you let us know how it turns out eh?
Cheers
Steve

6:30am Day 5 (4th of fermentation). Bubbling is still at 1/45 second out the airlock, and the yeast cake is building a little - I've come to the conclusion that its not only yeast, but probably a lot of the cloudyness of the beer settling out. Will rack it to the 2ndary once we get below 1/60 seconds bubbling - thats my normal benchmark - I'm guessing I'll be near the 1010/11 mark by then too.

Steve: Glad you like it - I tried to give an actual report of how it was at the time, worts and all :D I highly reccomend doing AG - its tonnes of fun for me!

Well done, Matt! That is a great effort on your first AG. Looking forward to hearing how it turns out. I did a weizen with that yeast once and also added coriander and orange, but it just tasted weird to me (using a German weizen yeast, as opposed to a bavarian Wit yeast). It still got drunk, though..

- Cheers - Snow

Borret said:
mobrien said:

;)

M
[post="70415"][/post]​

Borret
[post="70566"][/post]​
...the spelling is actually " diarrhoea", and the answer is probably "no".

Verbal, you see, eludes to spoken words. :p

The term you are looking for is most likely "prolix" or "verbose".

Seth the erudite :p

Snow said:
Well done, Matt! That is a great effort on your first AG. Looking forward to hearing how it turns out. I did a weizen with that yeast once and also added coriander and orange, but it just tasted weird to me (using a German weizen yeast, as opposed to a bavarian Wit yeast). It still got drunk, though..

- Cheers - Snow
[post="71069"][/post]​

Hey Snow - I was actually thinking of doing this exact brew again for the xmas case but with a wit yeast - any suggestions as to the type of wit yeast to order?

Thanks!

M

Well, my Wit that you tried at JGriffin's was done with Wyeast 3944, which I'm told is the Hoegaarden yeast. It worked perfectly with the coriander and orange. I am planning on making the same brew for the X-mas case, so I guess it would be cool if you made yours with the same yeast, then we could compare your AG Wit with my PM Wit! :)

Cheers - Snow

Thanks for the advice snow - yeah, it would be nice to compare :D As long as mine is up to scratch!

I'll probably see if I can get some 3944 ordered, unless of course I can steal/swap with someone?

M

6:20am Day 6 (5th of fermentation). Bubbling is down to 1/60 seconds, so almost ready for the 2ndary. Tested the gravity again, and it down a bit more to 1011, so pretty much done.

Its still too cloudy for my liking for a wit - I'm wondering about adding some gelatin to the secondary... I should have got the correct yeast that was medium floc - next time!

IMG_7420.jpg

Matt.

Wit + Cloudiness = Good. If you used Weihenstephan wheat yeast it's a cloudy strain anyway. It will gradually clear. If you're so inclined and want a clearer beer then chuck the gelatin in the 2ndary. Personally I wouldn't bother.

Warren -

Mat,

Yep it's looking good, keep it cloudy for sure.

Seth,

Once again your knowledge in such area's is mind blowing. I can only ever aspire to come close to your wisdom.

Borret

Looking good mobrien - should be just about ready for when i return to Aus in a couple of weeks - hope I get a taste.... :D

Ross,

I think we can almost organise that! By then I should have moved, got my fridge setup, hopefully got the font setup and almost be ready to pour some beers :D

M

Must be a wonderful AG set up you have there , first AG going so well and all :p

You'll find AG's a bit more cloudy in the early stages , that will settle out somewhat.

I've been keen to brew a Wit , seems I may just wait till after the Xmas case , then I will have a good idea of some recipies ;)

Batz

Batz said:
Must be a wonderful AG set up you have there , first AG going so well and all :p
[post="71661"][/post]​

Of course - there is nothing like dodgey leaking equipment to ensure that you are right on the ball ;)

In all seriousness, thanks a heap - having a broken in setup with good vibes just made it dead easy.

Batz said:
I've been keen to brew a Wit , seems I may just wait till after the Xmas case , then I will have a good idea of some recipies ;)

Batz
[post="71661"][/post]​

I am half of a mind to bottle 1/2 of this batch, then do an identical but with the wit yeast - so everyone could then try the same brew with two diff yeats. but, given we are moving, moving a keg full rather than a heap of bottles is more appealing...

dunno.

M

Back