Extreme High Hops

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JWB

Reaction score
:icon_chickcheers:

I was in Hobart just before Xmas and tried a beer called Moo Brew.

Have any other Tasweigans tried this Brew???

It is a Pilsner with very high hop content< Sazz hops would be my guess. I am trying to clone it but can not get anywhere near the hops IBUs

Has anyone tried to do this??

Cheers

JWB

Haven't tasted that particular beer.

For a Hoppy Bohemian Pilsner I can vouch for the following tips:

Use soft water... easiest way is to dilute normal water with demineralised/distilled water.
I prefer a clean high AA hop to get the bulk of the bitterness... Like super alpha to 25 IBU's at 60mins
Lots of Czech Saaz hops at the end. EG: For a 22L batch start with a plug at 20mins, 15mins, 10mins, and 5 mins. Dry Hop later as it lagers if you like.
I like the Wyeast 2124 Bohemian Lager yeast.
Mash at 65-66*C for a high attenuation.
Use 5% Carapils for better body/head
Use 5% Light Munich/Vienna is you want more of a malty meets honey type sweetness. (optional)
Lager at 0*C for at least double the time of fermentation

Cheers,
Jarrad

meh, the pilsener is pretty average.

the pale ale and the hefeweizen are where its at :D

I like the Pale Ale and the Dark Ale the best from Moorilla. Had a few jugs at the Taste this year, but they also do some great seasonal beers out on the estate.

the only "seasonal beer" i can think of from moorilla was the moo brew stout, which they made last year.

wasnt a "proper" release as such, they just made 10 kegs worth and let a couple select pubs feature it. also aged some in oak barrels and sampled it at the last HOPSters meeting.

The hefe is pretty ordinary actually. I can neer get enough of the pale ale...

The Hops in the Moo Brew Pils are not saaz, they're spalt.

the only "seasonal beer" i can think of from moorilla was the moo brew stout, which they made last year.

wasnt a "proper" release as such, they just made 10 kegs worth and let a couple select pubs feature it. also aged some in oak barrels and sampled it at the last HOPSters meeting.

Which will be coming into mainstream production and bottling this year sometime. I was there between xmas and new years to sample a few and they had it there on tap, said it would be put into bottles this year sometime.

The Pilsner I thought was average but the Pale was very nice, hence why walked away with a carton....and a lighter wallet, but also have 24 nice crown seal bottles to refill!

:)

Latest posts

Back