Extract Brewing

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Calais_5sp

Reaction score
Ok been brewing for a bout 6 months now starting with a varety of coopers kits and have been pretty happy with the results, but was still needing that little bit extra.

So i bought a brew pot and have tried a few different recipies from this site and a few of my own, using leftover hops etc.
have tried a few different yeast including Us04,US05 and brewcraft american ale.
i have found so far that the final product has been way too yeasty for my liking, with the first batch beeing bottled now for around 2 months.
i have only tasted the brewcraft mix with readings and it doesnt seem as bad as the others.
so my question is, is that what these "better" yeasts taste like or is it that the just arnt ready for drinking yet.

also does any1 have a decent recipy for a well balanced, mid hopped flavour ale that they can recommend that will keep my interests in brewing this way.

cheers..

US-05 is a very neutral strain that shouldn't add too much yeasty character, so my question is: at what temperature are you fermenting?

fermenting at around 19-21. the us05 batch has only been bottled for 2 weeks so far and tried 1 today and tastes like the us04 batch thas has been sitting for 2 months.

also does any1 have a decent recipy for a well balanced, mid hopped flavour ale that they can recommend that will keep my interests in brewing this way.

cheers..

look in the recipe database for Dr Smurtos Golden Ale, the extract version is at the bottom

It might be just that you are getting too much sediment in the bottles.

When you drink it do you pour it into a glass?

Is it clear or cloudy?

Different yeasts throw out different compounds which relate to flavour but if by yeasty you mean like eating a spoonful of yeast then that may be your problem and there are ways to reduce that.

Latest posts

Back