Experience With Wyeast 1968

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
warra48 said:
I wouldn't be in a hurry to cold condition with this yeast. It keeps slowly working for weeks and weeks even when you think you're at FG.

I bottle, and need to make sure I drink them all within 3 to 4 weeks of bottling, otherwise the carbonation just goes nuts, even with a low level of priming.

There's a theory that this is really a cask yeast, and designed to naturally carbonate ales in the cask for serving on a handpump.
makes sense. maybe I'll just serve it out of the cube tap then! do you think there any advantages to letting the yeast get the FG lower? 1015 was my target FG to give me the malt profile I was looking for. If it goes lower it might be too dry for my liking. I'm more concerned about what process will condition and meld the flavours.

warra48 said:
I wouldn't be in a hurry to cold condition with this yeast. It keeps slowly working for weeks and weeks even when you think you're at FG.

I bottle, and need to make sure I drink them all within 3 to 4 weeks of bottling, otherwise the carbonation just goes nuts, even with a low level of priming.

There's a theory that this is really a cask yeast, and designed to naturally carbonate ales in the cask for serving on a handpump.
I've experienced this too Warra,
Best Bitter - 4 weeks in primary, low priming - 4 weeks in the bottle all good - 8 weeks its over carbed for the style, still great character in this yeast

Coodgee, go when ready, just drink it within about 4 weeks or so would be my advice.

1968 is probably my favorite yeast, it's a cracker, and by far the best English yeast I've found.

It's unbeatable for lightly carbed english beers, and the proof is in the pudding. Last year my Mild Ale brewed with WLP013 scored second in the states, this year I used the same malt bill and ferm profile, but 1968 and took first with an extra 8 points. Cracking yeast!

Gotta' love 1968 !

You can't do this with many other yeasts...

Ed- The stir bar is in there somewhere too...it's more like a Selleys product than a yeast !

image.jpg

Gotta get me some of this! Anyone have any experience fermenting a bit warm? Should be fine for at least another month but I don't have temp control...

Yeastfridge said:
Gotta get me some of this! Anyone have any experience fermenting a bit warm? Should be fine for at least another month but I don't have temp control...
Alias of yeastfridge and you don't have temp control... <_<... :lol:

As Warra says.

Last winter I drank a keg of ESB made on 1968 from a keg sitting under the desk in the garage at ambient (around 12 degrees) with a bronco tap attached. Over the course of a fortnight it basically served itself with its own generated CO2 and only needed the odd squirt of gas towards the end.

I had brewed it virtually UK Real Ale style, two Sabbaths in the FV then kegged, a week to settle then started serving. From memory I even had to release the PRV initially as it was foaming.

edit: yeastfridge, you should be ok till maybe October in the Southern half of Oz, most UK yeasts can happily go to low 20s but will chuck yeast esters. 1968 is pretty much a London yeast and they traditionally fermented a couple of degrees warmer than Northern yeasts such as Yorkshire Stone Square strains.
I believe this yeast is either Fullers or a close brother, they conduct their main fermentation at 20.

3rd time I have used 1968. Used it when I originally brewed but after a 4 year lay off I am doing it properly and now have a flask and stir plate for building the correct amount of cells to pitch.

Anyways, had a 1.2L starter on the plate for 26hrs and it was floccing hard when I turned it off, it was amazing!

Decanted and pitched the yeast on Friday 30th, today it's done and dusted. 1.042 to 1.010 @ 76% apparent attenuation. Kept at 19c and only thought to swirl it yesterday.

Very happy and will be using again very soon!

PS: sorry to drag up an old thread, but I was expecting a FG of 1.013/1.014.

Latest posts

Back