• We have implemented the ability to gift someone a Supporting Membership now! When you access the Upgrade page there is now a 'Gift' button. Once you click that you can enter a username to gift an account Upgrade to. Great way to help support this forum plus give some kudos to anyone who has helped you.

Experiemental Mead

Aussie Home Brewer

Help Support Aussie Home Brewer:

machalel

Reaction score
Here's my first batch of "experimental" mead (i.e. not following a recipe).
It was a very vigorous ferment (spilled over everywhere), and has dropped down from 1.138 to 1.030 so far (14.6%). I've just racked it for the first time after 3 weeks, as there was a lot of dead yeast (about 1cm) and all the "pulp" from the fruit had dropped about a week ago. Here is the recipe:

Recipe: Ironblood Mead
Style: Sweet Mead

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size (fermenter): 5.00 l
OG: 1.138 SG

Ingredients:
------------
Amt Name
1.50 l Canberra (Tuggeranong)
1.00 kg Natural Iron Bark Honey
0.50 kg Natural Yellow Box Honey
0.50 kg Dark Dry Malt Extract
0.20 kg Fruit - Orange
0.45 kg Fruit - Blood Plum
0.25 kg Fruit - Prune
0.20 kg Fruit - Raisins
1.00 Cup Early Grey Tea
3.00 Items Cloves
2.00 g Cinnamon Powder
1.00 g Cardomom Powder
0.50 g Fennel
1.00 Items Vanilla Bean (dried & sliced)
1.0 pkg Sweet Mead/Wine (WYeast #2046)
5.00 g Yeast Nutrient

Start of ferment - it was bubbling out the airlock in under 48 hours!

This thing is really dark... I tried shining one of those super-powerful-spotlight-style torches through and I couldnt see anything at all.

I had a bit of a sample as well, and there is a definite alcoholic aroma, but it's actually not as "hot" tasting as I was expecting... There are a wide range of very distinct flavours in this one, and they havent melded / mellowed together yet (as expected) but it's not as bad as I was worrying it would be.

It starts off sweet, smooth, and syrupy, then transitions through orange / dates / fig, then gets a bit peppery / hot / acidic, before going dry(?) and a tiny bit astringent aftertaste.

machalel

Reaction score
Quick update:

Racked again due to massive build up of lees and sediment.

Still really dark!

Latest posts