Everyone Should Make This

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think I'm going to try this one next for my first boil.

Just to be clear, the Coopers Cans used from the original recipe are the Australian Pale Ale cans right?

Also if I order the Centennial hops from QLD to NSW will they be ok from the transport?

No, they are unhopped malt extract LLME/ Light Liquid Malt Extract. 1.5kg each.
The hops will be ok in the post. Cheers

No, never seen a graph like this. Just wanted to who came up with it and how. Was interested if it applies to all hop varieties. Would imagine there might be a bit of variance with hops of different percentages of oil content and so on. Gives a good general guide though.

I do note that most flavour additions I see in recipes are at 30 mins while the graph peaks closer to 20 mins for maximum flavour.

It's from this site http://www.brewsupplies.com/hop_characteristics.htm

here's my doktered up version, the old one looks backwards to me

hop_util_rev_bsm_tin.jpg

Attachments

• hop_util_beersm.jpg
    hop_util_beersm.jpg
    126 KB · Views: 59
No, they are unhopped malt extract LLME/ Light Liquid Malt Extract. 1.5kg each.
Ahh I see, anyone know where you can get these in Sydney? I know my LHBS doesn't stock them, only the Coopers Kits.

Any coopers stockists should keep them

Just buy Dry Malt extract if you cant find it

Just wondering, seeing as this is only a 30min boil, wouldn't there be no bittering added from the hops?

Any coopers stockists should keep them

Just buy Dry Malt extract if you cant find it
Cheers.

Just wondering, seeing as this is only a 30min boil, wouldn't there be no bittering added from the hops?

Cheers.

Having a look at the infamous utilisation chart (3 posts back), you get approximately 50% of the bitterness utilisation at 30 mins in comparison to the utilisation after 60. So, there is bittering, only half as much.

Saying that, I have made this recipe to the original specification, and I reckon a longer boil would not go astray. Make no mistake, there's a good deal of hoppiness in it, but imho, it could carry a few more IBU's. Maybe try extending the 30 min additions out to 45 mins, but keep the 20 and 10's as they are.

Your mileage may vary.

Oh yeah of course, if only I read back the last page again instead of blindly posting whatever comes into my head! :blink:

Having a look at the infamous utilisation chart (3 posts back), you get approximately 50% of the bitterness utilisation at 30 mins in comparison to the utilisation after 60. So, there is bittering, only half as much.

Saying that, I have made this recipe to the original specification, and I reckon a longer boil would not go astray. Make no mistake, there's a good deal of hoppiness in it, but imho, it could carry a few more IBU's. Maybe try extending the 30 min additions out to 45 mins, but keep the 20 and 10's as they are.

Your mileage may vary.

I am drinking a version of this recipe now (I used cascade & armarillo) and would agree re: longer boil would improve it. This was my first go at extract and learned a lot, plus as an added bonus I got some very drinkable beer! :)

Can't go back to kits now - just bottled Smurto's JSGA and the sample was very promising. Heatwave here in Brisbane caused some problems but I kept it below 24 at all times so hopefully it'll be a winner.

Just boiled one of these (steeped 200g of crystal into it, apart from that, original recipe)...my old man was here and he couldn't stop saying how much the hops (particularly the amarillo) smells like weed. His 70's flashbacks made my night :D

Will let you know how well it turns out.

Cheers for the recipe, Neill

EDIT: realised that my dad wasn't even in his teens in the 60's, so fixed up the time-line.

...shouldn't brew at this time of night...

Topped up to 23L just to realise that I hadn't added the rest of my LME. Sitting at around 25.5L now and expecting a krausen overflow. Probably time I learnt about blow off tubes...

Yet to pitch, though (still waiting for wort to hit pitching temp), any suggestions? Should I pitch at this batch size (I've got two and a half inches from my wort to my fermenter lid) or should I drain some?

I'm going to use Nottingham, if that helps responses.

For those that will read this in the morning; I pitched once I hit 20C...hoping for pretty calm krausen activity on this one...

Just tried my first glass of this beer out of the keg. Absolutely spectacular!!! Passionfruit, melon, BAM!!

The bitterness is fine in my beer, I dont think it needed a longer boil at all. Stoked!!

Glad you liked it man! anyone else cracked one yet? i actually put this recipe down again last night, it's the first one i've ever redone after going through some 20 plus batches of extract beer in the last 18 months. i hope i can recreate the original, it's a pearler ;) :D

I have one conditioning in bottles but I substituted the Centennial with Cascade so it is not the same beer. I wish I knew about Ianh's spreadsheet when I did it cause the Cascade ups the IBU's to 45.1 which is a bit higher than the original!

How long do you guys normally condition a beer like this?

subbing the Cent for Cascade should decrease the IBU's, it has a lower AA%. If it's too bitter a few months will tone it down some. Usually I'd leave it for a month at least after bottling. :chug:

Bought all the ingredients for this today will be brewing it tomorrow.
Looking forward to trying out Amarillo after hearing from you guys about how great it tastes :icon_drool2:

I have one question to do with the bitterness.
I use IanH spreadsheet and I also use Beersmith, now beersmith says I will get 23.8 IBU in a 10L boil and the spreadsheet says I will get 54.1 with a 10L boil.
so which one is right?

make sure in BS that you check the "add after boil" box for anything not in the 10L boil. For a 10L boil you need about 1100g of DME for a SG of 1045, check your boil SG in "preview brewsheet"[has major effect on IBU's]. I would just boil 3L, it's easier to get down to your pitching temp with some ice. Post your .bsm file if you want someone to check it. Cheers

Back