Everyone Should Make This

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Neill your a champ, thats exactly what I need at the moment.

AG is on the list once I can afford the setup...... at the moment tho - kits seem to be it.

Just boiling this concoction up now.... it smells great

I'm looking to pimp your base recipe here...

1 can unhopped malt extract
500g wheat malt
500g DME
200g carapils
250g crystal malt

How does that sound?

Hops would be something american...

that would be fine mate, but definately try it with the hop schedule i've listed above. it's a hop-driven beer and it won't taste even vaguely similar to my recipe if you change the hops totally. it's a good combination!

wisey let me know how you go. are you steeping any crystal or anything? Use nottingham if you can get it, i have just tasted a US-05 brew i did a while back and it seems to scrub more of the hop flavour out than the notto does.

couldnt get ahold of nottingham on craftbrewer last week, so am using us05 insted

It smells very grassy in the fermentor, hopefully she is ready to be kegged by the weekend :)

Just a quick question regarding extract brewing...

Do most people use hop bags or just throw the pellets in the pot?

If using bags, do you remove them when you add the next addition of hops or leave them all in there at the same time?

Thanks.

Personally I just throw them in the pot, I wouldn't bother with a hop sock unless you are using quite a large amount of hops.
If using the sock method then leave the previous addition in when adding more hops.

Just a quick question regarding extract brewing...

Do most people use hop bags or just throw the pellets in the pot?

If using bags, do you remove them when you add the next addition of hops or leave them all in there at the same time?

Thanks.

As homebrewer79 said.....
I just chuck em in the pot, things settle in the fermenter, no hassles and the only sediment I ever get is yeast.

On a side note, morning posts are rare for me but i dreamed of home brew last night, talk about obsessed.
Cheers all!

Thanks HB79 and Power Wolf.

So Power Wolf, you don't even put it through a strainer before pouring it into the fermenter?

No need to Thunderlips, they'll settle to the bottom of the fermenter anyway. I would however, strain if using alot of hops. But I have used up to 100g with no problems concerning blocked taps etc.

Thanks HB79 and Power Wolf.

So Power Wolf, you don't even put it through a strainer before pouring it into the fermenter?

Yeah thanks for getting onto that before me HB79(Are you a metal head by any chance?). I strain when I'm using grains but sometimes go about the hops additions in a round about way...

When I first started brewing adding hops 4 or 5 years ago I used to just heat a coopers can, add sugar/dextrose/malt and just heap that and whatever hops my mate suggested to a fermenter.... Still on extracts but feel as though I've come a long way from there! I think some are wary at first about using hops, and think it's really difficult but in reality it's so simple.

Recently I've had a couple of 'blocked' taps which seem just to be yeast sediment but find that just running out half a glass sorts that out.

Cheers,

Drinking : Coffee.

Recently I've had a couple of 'blocked' taps which seem just to be yeast sediment but find that just running out half a glass sorts that out.

Cheers,

Drinking : Coffee.

Try to prop up your fermenter right under the tap (I find that a 2.5kg dumbell works well), so that when the trub settles it'll settle mostly on the oposite side. You just need to be a little more careful when moving the fermenter though.

Yeah you're spot on nick - it's the base i use for most of my ales now. Good head retention and clarity, i have started steeping crystal into it now to give a bit more body and that improves it even more. With a few spec grains in this it comes out close to the "feel" of an AG beer, not quite but pretty close.

I just bottled a Hallertau bomb with this base which had 60g of late additions of hallertau only. Hoping it's a good one!

Next try is nelson and B-Saaz.

Then onto another go at a LCBA (last one had nowhere near enough hops, it needs a full 80g of B-saaz and cascade i think. Either that or the US05 scrubbed all the hop flavours out.
I did one of these with some left over Hallertau and the Safale yeast last summer. Best beer ever. I added about 200gms of crystal malt as well.

I kegged Neill's recipe today and whoa, what a huge step up from kits, the 3kg jobs included.
Even better I reckon than the fresh worts I've tried in the past.

I can't get over how good it smells :)

So I've ordered a bigger pot from Allquip and next up will be the Coopers Sparkling recipe and to see
if I can find a hoegaarden copy.

Good onya Neill !

Cheers for the inspiration Neill.

I have to come up with a recipe to teach my GF's father how to brew in Sept. I might use a variation on this because of the sheer simplicity.

I am not going to go the Amarillo because he is a VB drinker through and through, but I am not going to go POR either. I might stick with the Centennial and perhaps one more hop that is not going to make a total fruit bomb.

Good work Thunderlips... you sound hooked!

Just sitting here sipping this ale, not bad, but the steeped crystal would give it body that im missing with just the LME + Hops.

I would like to know if that the first hop addition is at 30 min does that mean that the total boil time is 30 min or longer?
Thanks Ads.

this sounds like the kind of beer i would love. i have brewed three different brews before but i have always struggled with when to add hops, always leading to erratic results. this recipe has hops at three different stages using times but (i'm sorry if i'm an annoying prick!) can someone explain when they should be added? i've never understood what the times relate to...

cheers in advance!

Guys,
the different recipes use boil times and % values for the hops to add.

% means how "bitter" (Alpha Acid percentage the hops contain) the hops used are, so if they say "20 gr of 6% Saaz" and you have 3% Saaz you would use twice as much as the recipe says. (when buying hops in 100 gr tubs or more it says the % on them.

the boil time is counted from when you finish the boil, so not from the start.
This is because the longer they boil ,the more bitter the beer will be.
So a 5 minute boil means to add the hops at 5 minutes before you plan to finish boiling, then fish the hops back out (at once, or after having chilled the wort)
A 30 minute hop boil would mean just that, you get a rolling boil, add the 30 minute hops, then another hop bag at 10 minutes, 5 min or whatever the recipe says.
The different times gives different flavor parts, such as aroma, "flavor" or bittering,

this is a great read if you want to do more:
http://www.howtobrew.com/section1/chapter5.html

thanks
Bjorn

Latest posts

Back