Everyone Should Make This

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You're right about the amerillo overpowering the hallertauer. Pretty much could only taste the amerillo but i could think of a lot of things much worse than an amerillo flavoured beer. Man im getting thirsty now.... might have to pour myself a cup outa the cold conditioning vessel when i get home from work.

guys i cant find anywhere the coopers LME (pale) for the life of me. I can find light, amber, dark and wheat LME but no pale. can someone provide me with a link or something so i know what you guys are talking about. It sounds delicious but i need help here!

cheers.

DaveCambo,

I would have thought 'light' and 'pale' where the same.

Marlow

yep they're the same. really just refers to the colour of the extract more than anything. for this style of beer a "light" or "pale" is going to be spot on.

About 6 weeks ago i made this:

2 x 1.5kg Coopers LME tins (pale)
500g Dextrose
20g Centennial @ 30 min
40g Amarillo @ 20 min
40g Amarillo @ 10 min

Total 31 IBU

OG 1058

Pitch Nottingham (would probably work well with US-05 too) and keep the temps under 20 degrees.

FG 1013

I just tasted one of these and this is one of the most awesome beers I've ever made. It is unbelievably fruity - the Centennial addition takes it to another level from an all-amarillo beer, which i have also done before. It's like someone has squeezed a passionfruit into your beer and then topped it up with watermelon or something. I'm no good at describing flavours but this is a cracker of a combination of hops. I urge all extract/KnB brewers out there to give this a go! :icon_chickcheers:

Cheers,

Neill

Am wondering,cause i'm new to this is your hop boil only 30mins(when centennial goes in) from start to finish??

That hop combination sounds perfect for my next beer man, good work!! i'll put my recipie up when i finalised the recipie!

Amarillo- alpha acid: 8-11% / beta acid: 6-7%
Centennial- alpha acid: 9.5-11.5% / beta acid: 4.0-5.0%

Here's what IBU it came up with on the BYO website calculator, im not that experienced but it sounds to me that the hops could be to bitter/strong..hmmmm......id appreciate some feed back from anyone with more experience cheers! still keen on using this combination of hops just not sure about amounts ay.

NewBitmapImage-1.jpg

Itll be fine mate, it wont be too bitter!

Neill, you should try dry hopping 40gms of Amarillo to really boost the hop aroma! Itll smell like mandarins :icon_drool2:

Hi,

I recently made this one and I've gotta say that its like nothing I've ever tried before. Its actually quite difficult to describe the flavour. Mine has been in the bottle for about 2 weeks now so its probably still a little young and sweeeet but it sure does taste good.

definately one that I'll be making again.

Cheers

Neill, thanks heaps for your experimentation and recipe! I did my first extract brew using this recipe as a base/guide.
I used the same hop schedule however i steeped 200gms carapils and 250 crystal light.
Also didn't use any Dex, only DME. Of which I (accidently) put too much.
OG was 1.064
Samples so far smell great! They are a bit overly cloudy however, don't matter though as I'm planning on racking to a secondary with gelatin for a week, so that should mostly clear it up.

Can't wait to taste it!! SWMBO even says it smells good!!

Cheers.

still the best beer i've made yet, although my hallertau bomb is pretty awesome as well. gunna have to get some more amarillo and centennial and do this one again i think.

Drewcifer; when i did the calculations on the IBU's it came out at 35 IBU, i used a different program though. strange! it wasn't bitter at all.

Beersmith calculates this to be 46.5 IBU. My Amarillo is 8.7%AA and Centennial is 9.7%AA.
That would be way too bitter for me. Maybe your hops had lower AA% Niell, did you record AA% in your notes ?

Are you guys calculating off his first post or the 6lt boil volume described in post 6?

I boil 300g in 3 litres, thats what beersmith is set to, boil SG of 1036. Actually says 48.5 IBUs, going blind.

Untitled_1.jpg

*actually have it set for boil 500g in 5 liter but it doesn't seem to matter as long as the ratio is the same
also just noticed I got the 10 min addition set for 5min, set to 10 it jumps to 55 IBU

Untitled_2.jpg

Just got the hops in the mail from craftbrewer.com.au god daym those centennial are hard to get your hands on! im happy now though, i'll post again when i've put this recipie together, may be a little while though im buying a fridge coz effing adelaide weather is so tempremental at the moment! i just don't trust it, especially when im brewing a beer thats cost me over the $60 mark! my last beer i made for my mates was a corona HA! cost me lyk $20 for a 27L batch :p!

I used ianH's kit & extract brew spreadsheet and the IBU came out at 37.5. AA% for the hops was 8.5% each.

damn i just looked through my notes and i didn't write down the AA of the hops. i used IanH's spreadsheet too. maybe the calculations are off? anyway it wasn't bitter at all - just perfect!

I just tried it on Ians extract beer designer thingy and got 58 IBUs. {set AA% to 9.7 & 8.7}
It comes to 31 IBU which you said in your OP if you add those amounts at 30, 10 & 0 in BS
maybe you did that Neill ? I know from past stuff ups that if BS says 40 or more it's ridiculously bitter.
I'm keen to try it, I might tweak it to 33 ish and give it a go and report back. Going AG soon but I been turning out some ok extracts lately, getting the bitterness / balance just right seems to be the major difference between good beer and fertiliser.

Apart from the Centennial it looks a lot like DrSmurtos JSGA extract :icon_drool2: , all this beer talk's making me thirsty.

Untitled_1.jpg

I think I'm going to try this one next for my first boil.

Just to be clear, the Coopers Cans used from the original recipe are the Australian Pale Ale cans right?

Also if I order the Centennial hops from QLD to NSW will they be ok from the transport?

Latest posts

Back