EOI Stainless Perforated Sheet for false bottom

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
osprey brewday said:
I was quoted over $500 for a sheet of perforated stainless for the same type of project (newcastle area) I ended up
Getting a stainless fab shop to laser cut 2600 perforations at 2 x10 mm the smallest they could do, it is 600mm dia and was under $300. Materials and cutting
attachicon.gif
ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1483959800.177854.jpg
attachicon.gif
ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1483959970.208502.jpg
What thickness was the SS? I just got quoted $680 (plus gst!) for basically that but only 450mm dia.

I could get your guy to make and ship two of 'em for less than my quote!

Scrap metal merchant on Huntingdale road South has some sheets of perforated stainless sheet, called in there on the off chance going to Geordi's if I could have got a sheet in my car I would have grabbed one also had a Carlton keg they usually sell them for about $50.

I just spoke to him again this morning, he said he thinks he has a few sheets of the 2.4m x 900mm , 1mm thick 2mm hole size. Forgot to ask the pitch measurement. They are $150 a sheet cos they are an odd size sheet (normally 2.4 x 1.2m sheets). I'll head down there today probably and if they look the goods I'll grab a sheet. You still up for half Mardoo?
Otherwise it's $298 for the same thing in a 2.4 x 1.2m sheet.

FWIW I found that 10% open area was way too much with slots

I currently have a slot width around 0.6mm with 10mm between slots so that's around 5% open area allowing for the crossbracing. This seems to work OK with a grain bed of 200mm. As the grain bed gets deeper you'll need more open area: most of the recommendations you'll find are for commercial grain bed depths which are around 1 metre with dry milled grist from a 6 roller malt mill*, values of 10 - 15% seem about right at that depth.

Not sure how that translates to holes or mesh but it should be independent: the advantage of slots is that they don't block as easily as each particle only has two support points.

* With the common two roller mills you wouldn't go this high.

Lyrebird_Cycles said:
FWIW I found that 10% open area was way too much with slots
Can you elaborate on this LC? I would have thought that more flow through a false bottom would be beneficial. Or is this specific to your particular lautering vessel. Looking around my stainless pile, I may end up making a slotted F.B.
I realise this is veering off topic and I apologise to the O.P
Perhaps LC, we/you should start another FB thread?:))

Ok. They are 2m x 900mm for $120. $60 each for 1m x900. How's that sound Mardoo? Dunno how many sheets he has. I'll find out if anyone else wants some. He's located in Epping.

Hell at that price I may have to jump on board too, custom FB's are bloody exy .... and usually imported :unsure:

Grabing measuring tape as we speak.

Curly79 said:
Ok. They are 2m x 900mm for $120. $60 each for 1m x900. How's that sound Mardoo? Dunno how many sheets he has. I'll find out if anyone else wants some. He's located in Epping.
Sounds great. Might go a full sheet depending on how much he has. I won't be greedy right off the bat. Let's see how many folks want some.

I'm definitely in for a half sheet, possibly a full one.

mofox1 said:
Depending on price I could be interested as well. Need around 45cm dia.How are people thinking of cutting it? Angle grinder, laser? Worried that any hack job I do would leave sharp edges that would scratch up the inside of the pot.
Stainless disc on grinder-tidy up with flap disc on grinder

Yeah agree with above, might even set up a jig to hold the grinder with flap disc so I can get it dead on. Might be a bit of work but definitely worth doing if your using it years later.

I use a power file with Norton "Blaze" (R980) or "Bluefire" (R823) belt to clean up the cut. Works a treat.

I'm heading down there tomorrow and as long as all goes to plan I'll grab two sheets. Both sheets will be pretty much spoken for. I will probably have some small bits to share but if he has more available I'll give his details to anyone interested. Cheers.

mofox1 said:
What thickness was the SS? I just got quoted $680 (plus gst!) for basically that but only 450mm dia.

I could get your guy to make and ship two of 'em for less than my quote!
Is that for the SS brewtech pot I picked up for you? If it is, martin should have specific falsies in stock for those, made by norcal too

Mofox1, CB has got proper false bottoms for SS Brewtech kettles if that's what you need & possibly a shitload cheaper than a custom job. We've also got rubber grommets to fit through them on the way this week. Drop me a PM if this interests you.

I wouldn't mind grabbing a small strip of off-cut to create a support-ring to fit under my current FB if that's doable?

Picked them up this morning. Looks good, if anything slightly flimsy but after cutting out a 300mm diameter circle it will do the job nicely. I'll probably have some left over if anyone wants or if you want full sheets he has a few left. $100 a sheet in the end, bargain. [emoji106]. PM me if you want details. Cheers.View attachment 94600View attachment 94601

OK, I just picked my perf up from Curly79, and it is fully thick enough to make great false bottoms. I'll try to post a measurement of it tonight, but right now there's dinner to cook. Larger ones will need supports, but that's easily solved. This is an insanely cheap price, so I recommend getting in touch with him to get the supplier's info.

Thanks so much and kudos for organising this mate!!! Otherwise that 710mm diameter false bottom would have been a dream for much longer than it will take me to make it. Maybe ;)

Latest posts

Back