EOI Stainless Perforated Sheet for false bottom

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Curly79

Reaction score
Anyone interested in chipping in with me to buy a sheet of SS Perforated. I need a false bottom for my brewery build but can only find ones with the hole and hose barb already installed. I need just a plain one as I have a bottom draining Mash Tun. Looks like about $150 for a 2.4 x 900 sheet so would get heaps out of it. Northern Suburbs Melb preferred. Also 2mm perforations are the smallest they have? A quick look on google suggest 2mm is ok.

I'd be interested. Need to get up to see you mountainfolk anyway. Let me work out how much I want, almost certainly 1/2 the sheet.

There's actually a thread/s on hole size for FB's. I'll see if I can find it/them.

Could you not just get the piece that you want cut from a laser cutting shop? Let them source the material if they don't already have it.

I have a bottom draining malt pipe, and i just replaced the barb/elbow with a bolt and couple of washers

IMAG0332.jpg

Matplat said:
Could you not just get the piece that you want cut from a laser cutting shop? Let them source the material if they don't already have it.
The bloke from the place I rang was really helpfull and said if I wait a week or two he would probably have a small piece in the scrap bin. I just thought if a few people were keen we could get a decent piece each for around $50 per person.

Curly79 said:
That's far too easy mate! Good thinkin.

I was going down the perf sheet road, but I need it domed for my setup to work properly... and I dont have an English wheel to dome it.

After reading those links $150 a sheet sounds bloody cheap. I'll call in this week and have a look Mardoo. I'll go you halves in the sheet if no one else wants any.

You can have half of my half if you want mate.

Unless you want to start a bulk buy[emoji12]

I'd be interested in a 450x450mm piece depending on sheet thickness?

I'd be confirming the thickness as that seems cheap. It's going to be pretty bendy once its starts getting thinner than 1.5mm, you'll have to come up with some kind of stand to hold the weight of the mash.

Yep, sounds cheap to me too. $150/m2 sounds more plausible, but still might be low. Huez' point is very well taken. Lets see what you come up with. I'm still in even if it's more, unless it's insane.

I was quoted over $500 for a sheet of perforated stainless for the same type of project (newcastle area) I ended up
Getting a stainless fab shop to laser cut 2600 perforations at 2 x10 mm the smallest they could do, it is 600mm dia and was under $300. Materials and cutting ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1483959800.177854.jpgImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1483959970.208502.jpg

Mardoo said:
Yep, sounds cheap to me too. $150/m2 sounds more plausible, but still might be low. Huez' point is very well taken. Lets see what you come up with. I'm still in even if it's more, unless it's insane.
Yep. Leave it with me. I'll suss it out and get back to you.

Depending on price I could be interested as well. Need around 45cm dia.

How are people thinking of cutting it? Angle grinder, laser? Worried that any hack job I do would leave sharp edges that would scratch up the inside of the pot.

mofox1 said:
Depending on price I could be interested as well. Need around 45cm dia.How are people thinking of cutting it? Angle grinder, laser? Worried that any hack job I do would leave sharp edges that would scratch up the inside of the pot.
It would be angle grinder with new SS disc for me, I was thinking of some smaller diameter silicone tubing (5-10mm ish) sliced through one side and wrapped around the outside of the mesh false bottom. I need a snug fit for what I have in mind. Also don't want to scratch the shit out of the inside of my vessel.

Latest posts

Back