English Pale Ale - Suggestions Anyone

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The King of Spain

Reaction score
I am a little low on hops so before I pass the point of no return has anyone got any suggestions. Other hops avail that may be suitable are POR & Challenger....

For 23L

% Amount Name Origin Potential SRM
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
98.0 4.90 kg. Pale Ale Malt (2-row) Australia 1.037 2
2.0 0.10 kg. Wheat Malt America 1.038 2

Amount Name Form Alpha IBU Boil Time
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
18.00 g. Horizon Whole 10.90 21.8 60 min.
20.00 g. Cluster Whole 5.60 6.2 15 min.
20.00 g. Fuggles Whole 4.20 0.0 0 min.

Yeast
-----

WYeast 1098 British Ale
A ProMash Recipe Report

Cheers
KOS

CHALLENGER!!!!!!!!!!! Great hop

P.S where's the crystal??

I'd use the Challenger instead of the Cluster. And boil the Horizon for 90 mins not 60 to get rid of as much residual Yank aroma as possible. I successfully used some USA Northern Brewer in a UK Ale (in fact the one I've just distributed in the Bris case swap) and you wouldn't pick that there's a Non UK hop in there as the base hop.

I'd use the Challenger instead of the Cluster. And boil the Horizon for 90 mins not 60 to get rid of as much residual Yank aroma as possible. I successfully used some USA Northern Brewer in a UK Ale (in fact the one I've just distributed in the Bris case swap) and you wouldn't pick that there's a Non UK hop in there as the base hop.

Cluster out, Challenger in.

No Crystal, this was supposed to be a Nelson Sav ale but no NS left :(

boil the Horizon for 90 mins not 60 to get rid of as much residual Yank aroma as possible

:blink: Have you used Horizon before ?????

Definitely Challenger @ 30 IBU for 90 min ditch the cluster, Fuggle late 20 min and 7% Crystal

Screwy

Definitely Challenger @ 30 IBU for 90 min ditch the cluster, Fuggle late 20 min and 7% Crystal

Screwy

Another vote for challenger.

I have only made a few beers with this hop after a very long time focussing on EKG/Fuggles and styrians and am very impressed with it.

So far i have used it by itself to really get a handle on what it brings to a beer (IPAs, bitters) and its rocking my world.

I'd also add some crystal to that grist.

You want to create an English ale and your thinking of using Cluster!!! TUT go and wash your mouth out.... you dont go putting foreign (american) hops in an English ale... shame on you

you dont go putting foreign (american) hops in an English ale... shame on you

I do it all the time :p You should try it for yourself before you bag it, Amarillo in a bitter is beautiful, Cascade mixed with EKG is also devine :icon_drool2: (think Rogue Brutal Bitter)

You want to create an English ale and your thinking of using Cluster!!! TUT go and wash your mouth out.... you dont go putting foreign (american) hops in an English ale... shame on you

Dark Star Hophead, made with all Cascade, is a great drop. And still definitely English in character for mine.

There's few Amarillo ones, who's names escape me. popping up from UK breweries as well.

:blink: Have you used Horizon before ?????

Screwy

Haha, thats what i was thinking Screwy!!!

Go easy chaps I still have to wade through this lot without yet another hop to try out :eek:
Hop_Invasion__Large_.jpg
I'd always found that US hops have that perfumy citrussy twang, which is why I was pleasantly surprised by Northern Brewer.
And yes the rot has definitely set in, even my beloved Brains from Cardiff is using some Cascade in some brews.

Go easy chaps I still have to wade through this lot without yet another hop to try out :eek:
View attachment 39742
I'd always found that US hops have that perfumy citrussy twang, which is why I was pleasantly surprised by Northern Brewer.
And yes the rot has definitely set in, even my beloved Brains from Cardiff is using some Cascade in some brews.

Not all US hops have that "C" hop flavour/aroma. Horizon is a fantastic hop in any pale/light lager.

Screwy

Latest posts

Back