English & fuggles

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SimoB

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I need some help, I have been brewing lots of US beers and it really is time to get into some nice english ales.

I have a fair bit of fuggles which I would like to get through. also have cascade, and goldings flowers. heaps of other hops too.

Anyone got a nice English ale recipe that utilises fuggles? I have JW ale, victory, carapils and some crystal.

Not sure on the liquid yeast yet either.

Cheers!

What's the flavour like with your goldings flowers? Are they English goldings?
I like the EKG and Fuggles together, when used in the right amounts its just the best. A sweet marmalade aroma and round bitterness to an English ale is something I'm still yet to find in my cubes. I'm trying small charge of Target FWH with lots of EKG in the cube and dry hopped at the moment.
let us know what your recipe will be Simo. :beer:

Joe - for marmalade - try challenger. Challenger work well with styrians too. Bitter, flavour and aroma with challenger - it works everywhere, even dry hop. 1469 yeast complements brilliantly.

I am drinking a bitter bittered and flavoured with northdown and first gold right now (kegged this arvo) and that is also marmalade city.
Bit of biscuit or victory for the toast to spread it on.

Op - fuggles early for some earthy depth, late goldings for some orange/citrus character. Look at dr smurto's landlord for a good fuggle/styrians combo.

One of my regulars is Lord Crouchback from John Palmers "How to Brew". An old version is available free on his website (not sure if this recipe is there).

Hey Simo, I reckon Fuggles goes great by itself in any darker style English ale, a combo of Goldings and Fuggles in an ESB, Porter or Strong Ale is gonna be spot on.

005, 007 and 002 are the yeasts I've used the most so far in my brewing of English beers and I would have to give my vote to 005 at the moment, I'm pretty bloody keen to get on the West Yorkshire though, sounds like an amazing yeast from what I've read on AHB.

Thanks heaps guys! going to brew this next weekend i'd say. I'm thinking an ESB on the darker side.

@Dips - thanks for the yeast tips, I'll grab some 005. Haven't used any english strains yet.

@Joe Mc - the goldings are home grown flowers. I have about 100g so not much. I'm thinking using them real late.

Thanks for all the advice guys, I will post my recipe this week.

Cheers!

If you're thinking an ESB on the darker side it might be worth heading into Dan Murphys and grabbing an Adnams Broadside ESB, massive dark fruit, caramel, raisin bread flavours, could be some good inspiration, I'd say getting an English crystal malt would be a good idea as well, they definitely add the right character. A bit of Victory with the JW ale malt should work well to get that biscuity, toasty goodness.

Limited knowledge using crystal malts here - caraaroma used at about 200g/20l batch adds a beautiful amount of raisin and toffee without going overboard.

Fuggles and wlp05 works.

manticle said:
Joe - for marmalade - try challenger. Challenger work well with styrians too. Bitter, flavour and aroma with challenger - it works everywhere, even dry hop. 1469 yeast complements brilliantly.
I am drinking a bitter bittered and flavoured with northdown and first gold right now (kegged this arvo) and that is also marmalade city.
All of the above plus Admiral (for bittering and/or flavour, wouldn't bother with it for aroma). Still marmalade but with resinous / woody notes as well. Works well in combination with the other hops above.

Personally I find Target my least favourite 'traditional' English hop as I find it harsh compared to other options. YMMV

Now i got to find a place I can buy some yeast! I want to brew this tomorrow.

Cheers,
Simo

Blind Dog said:
All of the above plus Admiral (for bittering and/or flavour, wouldn't bother with it for aroma). Still marmalade but with resinous / woody notes as well. Works well in combination with the other hops above.

Personally I find Target my least favourite 'traditional' English hop as I find it harsh compared to other options. YMMV
I'm finding the target harsh as well. Home brew shop gave me 2 x 90g Target for the price of 1. So I rekon the 2nd 90g can sit in the freezer while I try Challenger.

SimoB said:
@Joe Mc - the goldings are home grown flowers. I have about 100g so not much. I'm thinking using them real late.
Simo, What type of beers have you used the goldings flowers with in the past?

Joe Mc said:
I'm finding the target harsh as well. Home brew shop gave me 2 x 90g Target for the price of 1. So I rekon the 2nd 90g can sit in the freezer while I try Challenger.

Simo, What type of beers have you used the goldings flowers with in the past?
I have used them in english and american pale ales. The crop is growing amazing this year, can't wait for harvest. Yob helped me out tonight and hooked me up with some 002 white labs strain. I'm brewing this tomorrow, still unsure on the amount of fuggles, hop schedule subject to change.

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Boil Size: 32.28 l
Post Boil Volume: 28.08 l
Batch Size (fermenter): 24.00 l
Bottling Volume: 22.00 l
Estimated OG: 1.050 SG
Estimated Color: 19.4 EBC
Estimated IBU: 32.8 IBUs
Brewhouse Efficiency: 74.60 %
Est Mash Efficiency: 83.9 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes