Elevated Solid False Bottom For Elec Kettle

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

iralosavic

Reaction score
I'm in the process of wrangling the materials to make an electric BIAB kettle.

I want to be able to mash the grains against a solid bottom, but the element needs to be shielded by a false bottom solid enough to support the downards pressure of mashing.

Cake racks are commonly used to protect the bag from melting, but they are flimsy and shallow.

So far all I can think of is cutting a circle out of some perforated metal sheet and welding some legs onto it. I have two problems with this option 1. sourcing affordable SS perforated sheet (I'm in a regional area) and 2. I don't have a welder, but could get it done at a fabricator for a cost if it were my last choice.

Any suggestions? Cheers

I'm looking at using bolts for legs as mentioned above, but I can't find anywhere in Melbourne that sells perforated sheet at a reasonable price so I imagine regional areas would be even worse. Whereabouts are you located?

If someone made up a unit to fit the common urns I'm sure they'd sell well.

I'm in the process of wrangling the materials to make an electric BIAB kettle.

I want to be able to mash the grains against a solid bottom, but the element needs to be shielded by a false bottom solid enough to support the downards pressure of mashing.

Cake racks are commonly used to protect the bag from melting, but they are flimsy and shallow.

So far all I can think of is cutting a circle out of some perforated metal sheet and welding some legs onto it. I have two problems with this option 1. sourcing affordable SS perforated sheet (I'm in a regional area) and 2. I don't have a welder, but could get it done at a fabricator for a cost if it were my last choice.

Any suggestions? Cheers
What's your problem with using a cake rack?? will it not raise the bag above the element? They're fine for using in a BIAB tun. Lot's of people use them to great success.

Just use a cake rack... the bag won't fall in between the gaps. Heaps of BIABers use them as did i for along time. The one i have is about legs that suspend it about 4 inches high. Never had a problem with it. Just tie a string to the cake rack and when you pull the bag take the rack as well. Then boil and whirlpool as usual.

You don't want't be using anything that is too restrictive to the wort while mashing. You need to have the support as open as possible so that temperature gradients are as equalised as possible. If the support is too restrictive the wort under the support will become hotter when applying heat than the wort above... leading to inconsistencies through the grist.

What's your problem with using a cake rack?? will it not raise the bag above the element? They're fine for using in a BIAB tun. Lot's of people use them to great success.

Just use a cake rack... the bag won't fall in between the gaps. Heaps of BIABers use them as did i for along time. The one i have is about legs that suspend it about 4 inches high. Never had a problem with it. Just tie a string to the cake rack and when you pull the bag take the rack as well. Then boil and whirlpool as usual.

You don't want't be using anything that is too restrictive to the wort while mashing. You need to have the support as open as possible so that temperature gradients are as equalised as possible. If the support is too restrictive the wort under the support will become hotter when applying heat than the wort above... leading to inconsistencies through the grist.

Thanks for your input. I was thinking of using huge perforations, like 1" diameter holes in order to keep temp circulation more consistent. I need to source a 32mm hole saw drill bit to install the element, so I could even use that to perforate a plain sheet of steel. I don't want the false bottom for the purpose of filtration as they are traditionally used, just as a shelf for the bag to sit on that is solid enough to allow mashing.

What cake rack did you use? I've looked in most outlet stores and they are both too short in diameter and not raised high enough to clear the element. (I'm going to use a 50L keg)

I bought a 45cm dia SS serving platter for cheap off ebay. If my modified SS bbq grill ever gives me grief, I'm planning to drill a bunch of 20mm holes in it with my step drill then using SS bolts as legs.
You could try that if you can't find some cheap perf SS sheet.

This sort of thing... http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/2x-Round-Platte...=item4153799f89

Edit: added link

What cake rack did you use? I've looked in most outlet stores and they are both too short in diameter and not raised high enough to clear the element. (I'm going to use a 50L keg)

The one i have is just the one from Woolies. I have a 2200w element in my 50L HLT and the cake rack is able to keep a bag above it.

The one i have is just the one from Woolies. I have a 2200w element in my 50L HLT and the cake rack is able to keep a bag above it.

I haven't looked in Woolies! I'll have a squizz.

$17 for just the one. Not a bad option as a back-up :) Thanks for the idea

I'm looking at using bolts for legs as mentioned above, but I can't find anywhere in Melbourne that sells perforated sheet at a reasonable price so I imagine regional areas would be even worse.

Try woven stainless steel mesh. Much better in a HLT or MT than perforated. Comes in various wire sizes\widths. Just add ss bolts & Bob's your father's brother.

TP

Latest posts

Back