Where Do You Actually Buy Braid And Stuff?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
or if you are willing to play with plastic... then a good old 20L food grade bucket with a shit-ton of holes drilled in it has brewed many a beer. Malt tube and false bottom in one step. You could do the same with your fermenter and it would be risk free. Drill the holes, see if it works - if it doesn't, then cut out the rosette and get yourself some perforated sheet.

I'll look around for some, I reckon local wholesalers would have them ... there are a couple of companies on the northside who buy in bulk product (eg Sodium Perc ;) )and mix their own 'recipes' for cafes and pubs etc - you know the sort of thing "Biffo" floor cleaner proudly made here in Brisbane.. And I expect they would have a variety of plastic drums, buckets etc I could buy one of. The thing about a lot of them is that they are bucket shaped, but I need parallel sided, which is why the 25L Bunnings fermenter is good because it's cylindrical. However if I can get a five buck bucket it doesn't matter if I stuff it first time. :icon_cheers:

you can get 20L "handy pails" from bunnings for about $12 or something which are food grade and have never had anything in them

Bribie, I too have always thought it'd be good to make a BIAB pot that works sort of like a coffee plunger.

But you pull upways, which lifts the grain up hopefully above the wort surface, and at the same time squeezes the grain against the lid of the pot to aid with drainage. Finally once you have done this you lift the grain out and begin the boil.

Hi Bribie,

I assume your planning to pump out of the bottom of the malt pipe and return it back into the top?

I see those nice german units flow from bottom to top, is there any advantage to this? I guess the grain bed wouldn't compact as much, but it still seems to clarify the wort well.

Dave.

Back