My New False Bottom

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tony

Quality over Quantity
Reaction score
I got home from work today and took to my sheet of perforated plate with some tin snips.

Drilled 2 holes and what do you know.......... 15 minuites in a 45 degree garage and i have a new improved false bottom

HEre are some pics of the new one, it compared to the previous smaller one and a close up of the materials on both.

I found the mesh flowed too much in the small area and compacted the mash. I am hoping the perforated plate which is larger will give me a similar flow but not compact because its over a greater area.

here it is

cheers

Edit: and a pic of how it was with the old flase bottom

Looks very nice Tony, will be interested to hear how it goes.

Are the 2 bolts just to hold it in place?

yeah mate.... they are tig welded into the bottom.

It doesnt move and at about .75mm thich, its remarkebly strong. I thought i would have to suport it to stop it pushing down but it isnt going anywhere

cheers

Tony is the false bottom raised above the base on the bolts .?

What was the diameter of the hole i the Perforated SS ?

pumpy :)

yeah mate, the bolts are sticking up from the bottom and the FB suts on a nut and washer screwed down on them.

It has 2 mm holes. I was after smaller holes but its like finding rocking horse poop wirh hens teeth in it.

i just drilled 2 x 1/4 inch holes, stick the 1/4 inch SS bolts through and TIG welded them in from underneath to seal it and hold them in.

They are the same bolts thet i used to hold down the old FB.

cheers

I got home from work today and took to my sheet of perforated plate with some tin snips.

Drilled 2 holes and what do you know.......... 15 minuites in a 45 degree garage and i have a new improved false bottom

HEre are some pics of the new one, it compared to the previous smaller one and a close up of the materials on both.

I found the mesh flowed too much in the small area and compacted the mash. I am hoping the perforated plate which is larger will give me a similar flow but not compact because its over a greater area.

here it is

cheers

Nice work. Can you give me some tips for my problem. I am trying to make my own and are trying to work out how to form it like the ones you can buy from HBS. I think it is called concave?The holes are around 2mm. I have cut it to the diamater that I want it. Is there another suggestion you can give besides bending it? I have access to a tig welder if required. (maybe welding something to the bottom instead of bending?) I have included photo's for reference.

IMGP1432.JPG

IMGP1437.JPG

Some 20+ years ago at Tech School we had some wooden blocks with a depression in them and beated the living hell out of some 2mm ally plate over the top (with a rounded mallet) which eventually turned it into part of the soup ladle for our 'delighted' mothers :p Perhaps a similar method over some carpet covered lawn with a rubber mallet ?
Cheers
Doug

the base of the "keg" mashton is already concaved so this negates the need to do this.

I used mine for the first time and it bent down and buckled in one spot between the support bolts near the edge.

I am currently looking into screws to support it and hold the weight of a 42 liter mash.

cheers

Some 20+ years ago at Tech School we had some wooden blocks with a depression in them and beated the living hell out of some 2mm ally plate over the top (with a rounded mallet) which eventually turned it into part of the soup ladle for our 'delighted' mothers :p Perhaps a similar method over some carpet covered lawn with a rubber mallet ?
Cheers
Doug

Small world Doug!

We must be about the same age. FWIW My mum still uses mine. :lol: Did you do the pencil holder in woodwork too? Don't get me started on my first knurled handle in Fitting and Turning. B)

Warren -

here it is

cheers

G'day Tony
I am wanting to build my own FB. Where do you get that perforated mesh from?

Marks Home Brew in Newcastle

MHB on here

No affilliation...... you know the jargon :)

cheers

Nice work. Can you give me some tips for my problem. I am trying to make my own and are trying to work out how to form it like the ones you can buy from HBS. I think it is called concave?The holes are around 2mm. I have cut it to the diamater that I want it. Is there another suggestion you can give besides bending it? I have access to a tig welder if required. (maybe welding something to the bottom instead of bending?) I have included photo's for reference.
What's with the tube in the middle?

Sorry to take this OT fella's :) Warrnambool North Tech :) My mum still uses my ladle too :) I ended up making a wooden pencil case with a built in alarm :blink: . Nerd factor of '10'. The bullies grabbed it and stamped it to pieces....

Anyways, Tony, if the additional screws dont work perhaps a couple of tabs tigged to the base to hold the FB down where it is lifting ?

Grinder,
You can get smaller holes & less open area.
eg R1.1 T2 (1.1mm holes on 2mm pitch for 23% open area in 0.8mm thick 316 SS) from www.metalmesh com.au. If 0.8mm is too thin, the next size up will give you 26% open area. The plate I bought from ESB 5yrs ago is about this pitch & works a dream.

false_bottom1_50_.jpg

Rgds,
Peter

Small world Doug!

We must be about the same age. FWIW My mum still uses mine. :lol: Did you do the pencil holder in woodwork too? Don't get me started on my first knurled handle in Fitting and Turning. B)

Warren -

We made the pencil case in metalwork, along with a centre punch. A letter holder (in the shape of an absract mouse) and a chopping board for me in woodwork. Then there was a terrarium and a lamp shade in plastics......

Man you are making me feel old!

Festa.

Back