New mini-mash tun!

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

welly2

Reaction score
Just wanted to share my new mini-mash tun. I built one a few weeks back for some small 10L batches but was finding that grain was still sneaking under the false bottom and so decided I'd rebuild it. Ordered a new, larger false bottom which fit to a point - the point until the false bottom got to the lip where the tap used to attach. Long and short of it was it wouldn't fit. And my previous false bottom has gone to pastures new.

So what to do? A Bunnings trip for a new mash tun. Came across this 15L Esky cooler and as I'd bought my new false bottom with, I gave it a test. Can you believe it - it fits absolutely perfect, I mean perfectly. Right up to the edges, like it was made for it. There is no way any grain will get under!

IMG_0365.JPG

I'm having a brew day/afternoon on Saturday to give it a whirl, going to test it for heat loss this evening but compared with the previous Willow esky, I suspect this will hold the temperature far better. It's much sturdier and feels solid so with a bit of luck, plenty of insulation.

Here's another photo.

IMG_0366.JPG

If you're after a mini-mash tun, this combo of 10" false bottom and 15L Esky is ideal.

got one of these myself. works well for those big belgians as an extra bit of grain

Even if the temp does drop a bit too much, cylindrical Eskys are very easy to retro-fit with more insulation.

Winner, winner, chicken dinner !

Did a test, lost 3c over the course of an hour. Not the end of the world. The heat loss seemed to come from the lid more than anywhere. The sides of the Esky were cool enough. I'll just wrap it in a quilt as I did with my last mash tun and I didn't lose a single degree.

Back