Electronic Temperature Probes

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BOG

Reaction score
Hi all,

Hopefully this question will be reasonably straight forward.

I'm interested in getting an electronic temp prob. Like a screw in Mashmaster dial thermometer but as a prob with the reading being taken and presented elsewhere.

What type of probes are available?
How do you interface them to the pot? (HLT / MLT)
What Stainless Steel hardware is required to interface them to a tap to measure recirc mash temp or via RIMS / HERMS to measure and control the temp.

I know these seems straight forward questions for those that have done it. But I cannot find the required hardware via the usual providers.

Assumptions:

All stainless setup. 3 vessels. Taps etc from T&S Stainless. RIMS / HEMS pot now available hence the timing of the question.

Thanks

BOG

If you want to measure and control the temp in the same vessel, you can do it a number of ways... Some of the sponsors sell devices to do this, but you'll have to make your own thermowell to interface the probe to the vessel..

You could also acquire a PID and a decent probe (PT100 RTD) and the PID will display the current temp in the vessel an control an element (via a SSR) to control your temp in the vessel.

You can buy weld in or weldless type compression fittings to put a 6mm small head probe into the vessel with ease.

Hope I've interpreted what you want to do correctly and this is of some assistance...

Cheers,

schooey

I've looked at the Mashmaster probe. It looks too long for insertion into a pipe. and I think it needs to be matched to the MM temp controller.

I want to have the display a few feet away. Other end of the brew stand.

Instead of drilling a hole and inserting the probe through the wall of the vessel I want to re-circ the mash and take the temp at the tap fitting at the wort in of the mash tun.
So I focus on the heat of the flowing wort and not of the wort in the tun. pump it and it will eventually get to temp.

I've seen a probe and fitting that fits a 90 deg joiner. The probe would have to be short to allow for it to be inserted into the 1/2 inch pipe.

I've seen Brutus rigs with inline temp probes. Not through wall temp probes.

BOG

Attach the MashMaster NTC Sensor Stainless Steel Probe to the STC1000 temp controller and connect it through the HLT / MLT wall with a weldless or welded connection. You can either monitor or monitor / control temps with a high degree of accuracy. The probe is heavy duty s.s. and the control units (although rated at only 10amp) do the job at a very budget price. I have one each connected to my HLT and MLT doing this very job and they are excellent.

The wire length on the probe is about two metres.

Cheers, Hoges.

I've got a s/s 6mm probe inserted into a T piece on the outlet of my herms rig. I'll try and dig up a pic.

Razz, Perfect. This is what I'm looking for.

Basically I don't want to drill holes in the vessel and I want the pump the wort as I have issues with hot / cold spots in the tun.
I'm thinking If i pump the wort and a resonable rate I can flatten out the variations in the mash.

BOG

Razz, Perfect. This is what I'm looking for.

Basically I don't want to drill holes in the vessel and I want the pump the wort as I have issues with hot / cold spots in the tun.
I'm thinking If i pump the wort and a resonable rate I can flatten out the variations in the mash.

BOG
How's this?
The probe is in the T piece and on the right is the bayonet fitting that a 12 volt lead plugs into and goes to the PID controller, the HLT then plugs into the controller also.

photo.jpg

I've looked at the Mashmaster probe. It looks too long for insertion into a pipe. and I think it needs to be matched to the MM temp controller.

I want to have the display a few feet away. Other end of the brew stand.

Instead of drilling a hole and inserting the probe through the wall of the vessel I want to re-circ the mash and take the temp at the tap fitting at the wort in of the mash tun.
So I focus on the heat of the flowing wort and not of the wort in the tun. pump it and it will eventually get to temp.

I've seen a probe and fitting that fits a 90 deg joiner. The probe would have to be short to allow for it to be inserted into the 1/2 inch pipe.

I've seen Brutus rigs with inline temp probes. Not through wall temp probes.

BOG

Sumpink like this?

IMGP0428.JPG

BOG
Hi there,

That's pretty much what I do. I made a copper T-piece, the temp probe screws into one end and the wort comes in the other. Wort fills the whole tube before it is sprayed back on to the top of the mash.

Scoohey

Do you find there is enough contact by wort with the probe in that set up for accurate measurements?

Cheers

The end of the probe was situated throgh the tee into the turbulent flow. The sensor in those PT100 probes is located right in the very end and checking with an old school lab thermometer, there was neglible difference in the two readings (+/- 0.1 C from memory)

How's this?
The probe is in the T piece and on the right is the bayonet fitting that a 12 volt lead plugs into and goes to the PID controller, the HLT then plugs into the controller also.

nice. the probe looks short and I like the fitting for the wire connection.

What type of probe is it?

BOG

Errrm...nope. It's a small head PT100 RTD from pacific sensortech. You can buy them in lengths from 100mm to 2000 mm and above if you wish. The length doesn't matter as long as the tip where the sensor is located is positioned at the point which you wish to measure. That one in particular was probably aesthetically too long for where I put it, but I got it for the right price...;) and it doesn't affect it's performance one iota.

Ok, It's firdays afternoon and I found some time to chase down the products suggested.

Raz,

I think the Sensor and PID controller from www.auberins.com hits the mark perfectly.

One of these
23621web.jpg
At $42.

and one of these
PT-50MMNPTa.jpg
at $32.

As an alternative I've seen an LCD paneled controller.

Does anyone have a link to it. Was a programable device.

Also, Anyone know of some charting software and a simple interface that would work for a computer controlled monitoring system?

alternate I have found is this http://www.embeddedcontrolconcepts.com/index.php/

Anyone use this ?

BOG

Latest posts

Back