Electronic Controlled Burners

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bL@De

Reaction score
Hi Guys,
I am currently in the process of building an AG setup (time to jump into it), most of the shopping list is done although I am just unsure on how to approach the burner side of things as I want this to be automatic.

At TAFE they have a setup where there are 2 temperature controllers (same as a controller which a lot of us use on the fridge to select the temp), what would happen is the conroller would be set to a certain temperature ie 75 degrees, the burner would light up and switch off once up to temperature with the pilot still going until it's required again.

Has anyone done anything like this previously? What solenoid is required etc?

I'm currently looking at the Mongolian 23 jet burner and will be attaching this to a standard 9kg bottle, running 2 of them at this stage.

Thanks

Cheers
Darren

It scares me to think of leaving gas under automatic control, if anything was to happen to the pilot light, but it might be possible.

Any reason you couldn't do the same thing with an electric element instead?

Crundle

In Canada gas valves are a little hard to come by because no licenced HVAC technician or wholesaler will sell one to anyone off the street given the danger associated with natural gas. No one wants some backyard mechanic to start dicking with their furnace and end up flattening half a block in the ensuing explosion. To that end, at least around here, they're extremely difficult to come by. ....Unless you know an HVAC type guy who knows you aren't going to try and replace the gas valve on your furnace or water heater.

Just google "gas valve" or "furnace gas valve". You can try buying one from a licenced technician but you may not be successful unless the guy really knows you well.

The whole reason for going with the burner over an element is purely temperature control. It seems to be a fairly common practice oversea's based on a number of setups I have looked at recently. I certainly don't mind paying someone to ensure it's installed correctly and safe but it's something that is fairly scarce when it comes to information within Australia.

Looking at for instance Beerbelly they appear to have the ability in their setups but don't sell the products to do it.

The whole reason for going with the burner over an element is purely temperature control. It seems to be a fairly common practice oversea's based on a number of setups I have looked at recently. I certainly don't mind paying someone to ensure it's installed correctly and safe but it's something that is fairly scarce when it comes to information within Australia.

Looking at for instance Beerbelly they appear to have the ability in their setups but don't sell the products to do it.

I looked at going down this road and after some very short email replies from valve suppliers I gave up. No one I talked to wanted to say that a certain valve and controller would work. There are some really nice "Honeywell" systems that contain flame failure, modulating output to vary gas flow and 3 trial start so it tries to start 3 times then gives up. Would be best to speak to a qualified gas fitter but could be $$ over electric in the end..

Im using an electronically automated ignition system.

all you need is a gas valve, such as from Mig/Tig welding system, a ignition transformer, a ionisation electrode and a flame controller.

here is one of my burner, you can see the ignition electrode, the ionisation electrode and the ignition transformer:

DSC02751.JPG

and here you can see the gas valve:

DSC02756.JPG

my second burner looks like that:

DSC02753.JPG

if youd have more questions, just ask

Cheers :icon_cheers:

I reckon your best bet is going to be to cannabalise an old gas hot water system or something. As long as you can prove your pilot-flame is alive and well, you can then turn your main flame on and off as you please.

drive around during council clean-up and look for someone chucking out a gas heater they should have a gas valve in them.

I wouldnt use a pilot flame, thats too complicated to oversee.

A little bit wind and the pilot flame is out. Also when the burner get switched off, sometimes occures a little deflagration that blows out the pilot flame.
Ive made many tests before Ive found the right ignition system, best works an electronically controlled system.

Hey mate thats a cracker of a setup, do you use this with a temp control (as in to regulate the water in your HLT??) and can you send me some more detail of the system as it looks like the setup that Screwy and I have discussed a few times................you know the differences/benefits of gas over electric etc.

Jay

Hey mate thats a cracker of a setup, do you use this with a temp control (as in to regulate the water in your HLT??) and can you send me some more detail of the system as it looks like the setup that Screwy and I have discussed a few times................you know the differences/benefits of gas over electric etc.

Jay
Hello Jay,
of course I can give you more details if youre interested in.

You know, Im doing stepped mash all the time, thats why I need an electronically controlled ignition system. Im using a little computer program that controls the whole mashing process. Just start brewing with a mouse click and let do the computer the rest of the work.

here is a pic of the little program:
brauanlage.jpg

Friend of mine has written that little proggie, its also in many diff. languages available.
Behind the proggie is a little database for recipes, so one can just load a recipe and start.
If anyone is interested in, the program is for nix (free), just tell me.

Thats the most awesome thing Ive seen. Send me details in PM. Ive been listening to the heater fire up with electric ignition to heat the house duribg winter and have had the same musings but its great to see someone take the same itch to fruition. I run nix's so no worries there. Depending on the language I can modify, enhance or modularise the controller and integrate into my brewing program I am writing. Looks like motor control as well for automatic mash stirring.

Cheers,
Brewer Pete

Latest posts

Back