Electric Kettle Advice

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
a tempmate might create a surging effect where the 2nd elly turns on and off where the Phase angle keeps the heat on just "less" heat

same with a PID dont think the PID would be able to control the element in the way you need it boiling wort ? and might create a surging boil doing "on and off" ? but i have NFI really with PIDS

ahhh true. I think you're right there. The phase angle controller looks good actually. Might consider this when i get round to retiring the gas

A closed loop control cct would be far superior than a temp mate, as it would be adjusting the element heat, rather than turning it on and off..

A simple feedback cct in place of the variable resistor would do it , then you could set it to nay temp you wanted so it could become multi purpose

What about a simmerstat like you would use for controlling a stove element may not be tempreature control but they are cheap and work well 1 simmerstat for each element for about $15 each

What about a simmerstat like you would use for controlling a stove element may not be tempreature control but they are cheap and work well 1 simmerstat for each element for about $15 each

this is another idea, a triac based temp controller and cost about $10 in parts, but you need to be able to "make it" and make it safe
as it needs but does nto show earthing... a correctly rated isolated triac and heatsinking would also be needed

maybe with some tweaking it should give linear power changes like the phase angle one, i built one of these and it worked but was not super happy so got a phase angle controller

7801.gif

disclaimer: this post is for information and discussion and anyone contemplating building this should seek professional help as 240V is able to kill you.... no responsibility taken by me or anyone....

pm me if you would like a link to more info

Latest posts

Back