eBay Items III

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Cheap fridge in Caboolture Qld.

Only $10.00 with one day to go

Fridge Link

Batz

Great starter setup for partials in Coromandel Valley SA

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Homebrew-equipment-...1QQcmdZViewItem

2 fermenters, 3 cubes, an insulated mashtun with copper manifold, wort chiller, hydrometer, scales, a plastic spoon and airlocks, a Super Automatica bottle capper, approx 20 glass longneck bottles, some Grolsch fliptop bottles and approx 30 plastic cooopers beer bottles, a selection of bottle caps and an blue/little bottler, a probe thermostat for the fridge + a heatbelt.

Ends 10-Mar-07 11:49:45 AEDST

DAMN IT! Outbid again! Really need to sit down and rethink my bidding methodology, I lost 3 auctions yesterday, all by a few lousy $'s.

Really really really wanted that setup, had dreams the night before of mashing, sparging and the lovely smell... and then wham. 10 seconds to go and i lose despite the fact i had $30 up my sleeve as a max extra bid.

Back to reading up on how to convert a pail fermenter into a mash tun i think.....

Need that sneaky ebay software that gets the last bid in. ;)

Put your trust in e-bay, put the max bid in and wait. If you don't win it, you weren't prepared to pay that much for it anyway. If you do win it, you got it for what you were prepared to pay or less.
If everybody followed that philosphy there'd be no need for sniping software.

Put your trust in e-bay, put the max bid in and wait. If you don't win it, you weren't prepared to pay that much for it anyway. If you do win it, you got it for what you were prepared to pay or less.
If everybody followed that philosphy there'd be no need for sniping software.
while what you've said is true, and it would be nice if everyone played that way but they dont. and really snipers dont effect you in the slightest if you do treat ebay the way you describe. if you get sniped it means you weren't willing to pay as much as the sniper. but that works both ways, if the snipers bid isnt enough to outbid you, he's not going to take it from you.

the reason people snipe is because of the fools who get emotional when they get outbidded and then decide they can afford another $10, and then another $10. and then just $10 more... and then their really and truely last bid of $10 more. if you dont give them the opportunity to stuff about like that, they dont drive up the price that you end up paying, and that what everyone wants, isn't it?

I agree - use the ebay max bid system. Only time I've failed to place the winning bid was when it went for more than was willing to pay.

the reason people snipe is because of the fools who get emotional when they get outbidded and then decide they can afford another $10, and then another $10. and then just $10 more... and then their really and truely last bid of $10 more. if you dont give them the opportunity to stuff about like that, they dont drive up the price that you end up paying, and that what everyone wants, isn't it?

Spot on. it's not the latest bid that wins, it's the highest. If you were prepared to pay more than you actually bid, you can't blame anyone but yourself. Snipers are just protecting their own interests, by getting their bid in at the last moment and not getting drawn into a stupid ping-pong game of pride and bravado.

Also, don't assume that you could have won the item with a slightly higher bid than the actual winner. You don't know how high their max bid was, you only know where the second highest bidder (ie you) piked out. For all you know the winner may have been prepared to pay ten times that amount.

they dont drive up the price that you end up paying, and that what everyone wants, isn't it?

So you're sniping just to avoid paying an extra $10 that you were prepared to pay anyway ?
I love a bargain as much as the next person, but it doesn't happen in real life auctions so I don't see why it should happen in e-bay. My 2c worth.

And yes, I have sniped in the past, but come to realise it was silly and don't do it anymore.

Rant over, time to get back to :chug:

DAMN IT! Outbid again! Really need to sit down and rethink my bidding methodology, I lost 3 auctions yesterday, all by a few lousy $'s.

Really really really wanted that setup, had dreams the night before of mashing, sparging and the lovely smell... and then wham. 10 seconds to go and i lose despite the fact i had $30 up my sleeve as a max extra bid.

Back to reading up on how to convert a pail fermenter into a mash tun i think.....

Comeup and see me in the Baroosa - happy to lend the daddy cool 15ltr mash tun - will allow single normal batches for you...no worries....

GMK...President BBC

Need that sneaky ebay software that gets the last bid in. ;)

Don't need software. Check out Auction Sniper. I'm a sniper from way back, I swear by it :ph34r:. Before I get killed let me say I've never got any brewing gear from ebay auctions, only buy it now.

S

Snipers or not, if you put in the MAXIMUM that you're willing to pay, you'll never be outbid when you would have paid more... :eek:

Sniping can be nasty, but only if the initial bidders are playing games too!

I admit to sniping now and then, but I reckon I only have a 50/50 success rate. Half of the time, someone just wants it more than me.

And yes, I've been sniped before too, and it only REALLY hurts when I realised that I would have paid more...

:beer:
BenH.

thats the key guys bid what your willing to pay , then if you lose you know the other guy wanted it more and was willing to part with more for it ... snipe or no snipe if someone puts in a higher max they win ...

I hate it when you log in after being away, to see alerts on ebay items you would like to bid on have finished :angry:

Had never heard of auction sniping. Youve all shattered my naive view of the world :p

I did enter my max bid and with 45secs to go was in front by $30 so figured i would get some change. Never seen bidding that fast before.

Ah well, thems the breaks i guess, just hope whoever won it gives it the love i would have :(

GMK - just may take you up on that offer once i move into my new place and get all my brew gear outa storage. How big a batch can you brew with a 15L mash tun?

So you're sniping just to avoid paying an extra $10 that you were prepared to pay anyway ?
$10 is still $10! My 'job' when buying an item at auction is to pay as little as possible for it. Why would I want to get into a battle-of-the-egos with some spoilt child who keeps coming back and bidding a bit more and a bit more (and then probably becoming a non-paying bidder anyway when he realises that his ego got the better of him and he bid too much)? Sniping is a misleading term, it suggests a targeted attack on another bidder. It isn't, it is simply placing your bid in the last seconds to avoid inciting a battle with other bidders. If anything it's actually a passive act.

I love a bargain as much as the next person, but it doesn't happen in real life auctions so I don't see why it should happen in e-bay. My 2c worth.
It does happen in real life auctions, to a point. Nobody likes to bid too early in a real auction and get into a head-to-head battle. People tend to hold off. Ideally, most would probably like to wait until the end of the (hopefully sparse) bidding and then win the item with a single, final bid. Obviously you can't really do this in a real-life auction as the auctioneer will keep the auction open until it is clear there are no more bids, so the other bidders can always bid again. On eBay the auction finishes at a set time, so you have the opportunity to get your bid into the auctioneer at the last second.

I nearly always snipe. It's nothing personal, but I see an item I want, I decide how much I'm prepared to pay (and the trick is to bid slightly MORE than you want to pay, not be in some dream-world about how much you'd LIKE to win the item for) and I set up the shot. Then I forget about it unless I receive the email a few days later telling me I won. If I won, the worst case scenario is that I pay a few more dollars than I would have liked. Big deal. Usually I will have won it for less, so I'm happy. If I didn't win, then it really wasn't within my budget. Simple. No hard feelings, nothing to whine about.

Usually it all happens in my absence and I don't know (or care) about the other bidders. If I do watch its progress though, it's rare that I'll be the only sniper on an item. Often the price jumps significantly in the final seconds as other snipers get their shots in. The auctioneer (eBay) will sort out the mess and award it to the highest bidder, whether they got their bid in on day 1 or with 4 seconds to go.

If there are no other snipers I'll often end up with a bargain, as the non-sniping bidders often bid less than they are prepared to pay, because they are blinded by greed and optimism and they think the way to walk away with a bargain is to bid frugally. eBay simply doesn't work that way. You can't orchestrate a bargain on any particular item, you can only increase your odds of them happening by being smart about your bidding. Occasionally sniping can even work against you. An item which receives no bids early on can attract more attention as its price stays low, and people think it has escaped notice. Sometimes getting an early bid in can help to discourage the vultures from circling. The trick is to find out what works for you and stick to it, but certainly not have any complaints. Anyone can snipe if they want to.

I always snipe, for exactly the reason wortgames mentioned above. Why give my position and budget away too early? I generally only put a single bid in, which is the snipe. I also have about a 50/50 success rate, but if I'm not the highest bidder, it's because someone else was prepared to pay more than I was. Oh well...

Too many people get sucked into the competition of it. You are not "winning" the auction, you are just the highest bidder. I just like to snipe because I can protect my interests until the very last second.

Had never heard of auction sniping. Youve all shattered my naive view of the world :p

I did enter my max bid and with 45secs to go was in front by $30 so figured i would get some change. Never seen bidding that fast before.

Ah well, thems the breaks i guess, just hope whoever won it gives it the love i would have :(

GMK - just may take you up on that offer once i move into my new place and get all my brew gear outa storage. How big a batch can you brew with a 15L mash tun?

Mitre 10 have 15ltr round coolers suitable for a mash tun for $45 here in the Barossa. I went out and bought a 45ltr to do doubles only to realise my kettle is not big enough. :angry: So now I am saving for a small one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back