eBay Items III

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The trouble with ebay is that their system allows sniping which heavily favours the buyers over the sellers.

If they implemented a "going going gone" system (like most other auction sites do), sniping would be a thing of the past and sellers would get better prices for their gear.

"Going going, gone" works like a "normal" auction where the auction end clock gets (for example) + 10 minutes everytime there is a bid past the original auction end clock. If there are bidders then the auction keeps going until everyone gives up.

Mitre 10 have 15ltr round coolers suitable for a mash tun for $45 here in the Barossa. I went out and bought a 45ltr to do doubles only to realise my kettle is not big enough. :angry: So now I am saving for a small one.

BYB, Don't go out & buy a new smaller one just for single batches!! Simply use the same 45l tun for a single batch - you just don't put as much grain or water in it - easy. ;) FYI, Thats what I do in my 75l tun that I use for single through to quad batches.

Put your savings towards as big a kettle as you can get / afford - that will be $ well spent :D

crozdog

only to realise my kettle is not big enough. :angry:

Do what others do and do a double boil. Drain/sparge the wort first into the kettle then the remainder into a cube/jerry. Boil both for the required time, add hops to one boil, add both to the fermenter after cooling or to a jerry to cool if using no-chill and take the OG prior to pitching. Small kettles are no limitation, I used cheap SS stock pots first up.

I have to admit to sniping too,

It doesnt always work, but its pretty good, I do the following>

1: Dont bid on the item at all, ever until the end.

2: IF in the last two minutes the item isnt over the max your prepared to spend, then open two windows, both with the item in question in them.

3: split the screens horozontally on you PC, have one as the item, you refresh each 5 seconds or so, it takes about 4-5 seconds to load the page each time.

4: the second window has your bid, put the max you want to go to, then place bid, you are then asked to confirm bid, leave it there, wait until 6-8 seconds out, then confirm bid.

One of Two things will happen, if your bid was the highest, you will win, as noone else has time to refresh and rebid in the last 6-8 seconds, you will win it.

If, someone else has a higher bid, too bad you loose and they have maybe just paid $40 or $50 more than they were expecting for the item, but kudos to them, they entered there max and waited and won, so fair is fair.

I cannot stress enough the importance of waiting until the last second to confirm bid, it leave no-one else time to outbid you.

I have bought Model helicopter worth $1500. brand new for $500, exhaust for my ute woirth $1750. for $710. doing just this (funny thing about exhaust, emaild seller and offered $1000. off ebay to buy, he said he would let it run, man was he dirty when I fronted with $710.

All is fair in love and war, I have been piped a few time, but who cares, get the next one.

My $00.022 inc GST worth.

Simply use the same 45l tun for a single batch - you just don't put as much grain or water in it - easy. ;) .

crozdog

Through what I have read I have been lead to believe that because of the depth of and width of the grain bed being shallow because of the size of the tun, that effeciencies may suffer when sparging :unsure:

Back Yard Brewing
(aka BYB)

Well, I have to admit I hadnt even heard of sniping until reading this thread. Nor did I know you can even get sniping software!!

My take on buying off ebay, like a lot of the other posts, is to stick to your guns & bid your maximum when you place your bid, regardless of when you place it & dont stuff around.

I've been caught mucking around trying to get "a bargain" which means having to place a higher bid & again & again until I ran out of time & STILL MISSED OUT.

Other times I've decided my maximum & placed that only & waited. Sometimes I've won & sometimes I havent. All that means is the person prepared to pay the most got the item. And thats it in a nutshell.

You may appear to loose an auction by only a few $'s but you'll never know the winner's maximum bid. All that matters is that they were prepared to pay more. If you think you would've increased you bid if time permitted, then you've gotten it wrong. That increased amount should have been your bid in the first place.

At the end of the day dont get disheartened thers's always new stuff being listed.

Cheers,

Stout

Through what I have read I have been lead to believe that because of the depth of and width of the grain bed being shallow because of the size of the tun, that effeciencies may suffer when sparging :unsure:

Back Yard Brewing
(aka BYB)

yeah, that will happen, I get around 65% for a single batch increasing to 90% for a quad batch with 75% average for a double brew. It is easy enough to add a bit more malt to compensate.

Do a few mashes of each size & record your efficiency, then calculate the average for that batch size. When you make up a recipe, just alter your brewing software (brewsta, beersmith, promash etc) to use the average efficiency for the size batch you want then tweak the grain amounts till you get the OG you want. Easy.

Beers

Philip

P.S. Sorry for taking the thread off topic. :ph34r:

micro brewery and home brew kit

2 X Westinghouse Freezermate Fridges
3 X Stainless Steel beer taps
1 X drip tray
8 X 18lt postmix kegs (screw top)
1 X 60lt fermentation barrell
1 X large wooden wort stirring spoon
2 X external fridge temperature control units
1 x single clock gas regulator All necessay beer and gas lines including connectors

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/micro-brewery-and-h...1QQcmdZViewItem

Priced at $1000.... expensive but it does come with 8 kegs, fridge, temp controllers etc.

I do the following>

1: Dont bid on the item at all, ever until the end.

2: IF in the last two minutes the item isnt over the max your prepared to spend, then open two windows, both with the item in question in them.

3: split the screens horozontally on you PC, have one as the item, you refresh each 5 seconds or so, it takes about 4-5 seconds to load the page each time.

4: the second window has your bid, put the max you want to go to, then place bid, you are then asked to confirm bid, leave it there, wait until 6-8 seconds out, then confirm bid.

One of Two things will happen, if your bid was the highest, you will win, as noone else has time to refresh and rebid in the last 6-8 seconds, you will win it.

If, someone else has a higher bid, too bad you loose and they have maybe just paid $40 or $50 more than they were expecting for the item, but kudos to them, they entered there max and waited and won, so fair is fair.

I cannot stress enough the importance of waiting until the last second to confirm bid, it leave no-one else time to outbid you.

Eugene, my method is almost exactly the same, except for splitting the screens horizontally (I just use tabs, haha). It's tried and tested, and you never really lose per se. If everyone did this method it obviously woudn't work. Thank god they don't.

Only time I ever bid 'normally, is if an item comes up that i'm only partially interested in, I just chuck a bid on and if I win fine, if I lose, no biggy. But all the things I really wanna win, the above method works like a charm.

50Lt Urn $30 Shellharbour NSW.

Yes I am just looking at all the stuff I could buy for AG and can't because I'm on a forced lay off from spending any $ on brewing/bar. Doesn't mean I can't window shop and let everyone else know though I guess.

She may have won the battle, but there's a lot of legs left in this war.

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Stainless-Steel-Urn...1QQcmdZViewItem

I took ONE look at that 100l plus stock pot and she said *************NO!!!!!****************

Even though it's in ballarat...she knows damn well I'd drive there for it.......lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back