Easy Cider...

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's a forum of mixed opinions like any other community.

There is a focus on trying to make good quality beverages rather than rocket fuel (not saying yours is either - not brewed it, not drank it and not really looked at the link very closely) which I see as a good thing.

I'm sorry to hear that. I see that the mud has already started to fly, as I barely get in the door. No bother, I have thick skin. If you look at the comments I get on my YouTube channel, (CraigTube) You'll discover that many, many people are now making beer, wine and cider because of my efforts. So, I thought I'd stick my head in here and try to learn more, not that I feel very welcome or anything. It's in my best interest to teach people NOT to make rocket fuel, but to make good quality beverages, which is why I'm here. I don't know what kind of disposition you have about me based on a few home brew "snobs", as they're often called, but if it has anything to do with my methods, then you'd think the members of a forum like this would be eager to help, not sling mud around like a bunch of children. I am here in an effort to learn, and if that's not acceptable, then I'll be on my way. Cheers all!

I just did :-

7x3 litre bottles of homebrand apple (preservative free)
500g lactose
500g dex (or a little more)
2L 1084 yeast starter (was made for a brew I didnt make, hence I made a quick cider)
A teaspoon or so of yeast nutrient (not sure I needed this)

Been in fermentor for about 3 weeks now (lazy me), will filter / keg / carb / consume over the weekend. But samples taste pretty good at the moment

Awesome. Been thinking of brewing this on a larger scale as well. Can you tell me what the lactose is for, and where to get it?

CraigTube

Don't take 2-3 negative comments as a general assumption on the whole community, I personally thought the video was quite interesting and very simple which is always a plus(and basically the same as all the other recipes cider recipes i've seen). I probably wouldn't make something that strong but each to his own.

edit: lactose sugar doesn't get fermented by beer yeast, so it adds some sweetness to the final product. It's not as sweet as normal sugar IIRC. You should be able to but it from a homebrew store.. not sure.

There's plenty of people here who brew from kits and extracts. If you don't rush in swinging your fists with a point to prove I'm sure your experience will be most welcomed.

Not every AG brewer is snobby about kits, there are a lot of different ways of doing things discussed here.

From the tiny bit I watched your cider doesn't seem amazingly different from some of the simple ciders discussed in our non-beer brewing section.

I'm sorry to hear that. I see that the mud has already started to fly, as I barely get in the door. No bother, I have thick skin. If you look at the comments I get on my YouTube channel, (CraigTube) You'll discover that many, many people are now making beer, wine and cider because of my efforts. So, I thought I'd stick my head in here and try to learn more, not that I feel very welcome or anything. It's in my best interest to teach people NOT to make rocket fuel, but to make good quality beverages, which is why I'm here. I don't know what kind of disposition you have about me based on a few home brew "snobs", as they're often called, but if it has anything to do with my methods, then you'd think the members of a forum like this would be eager to help, not sling mud around like a bunch of children. I am here in an effort to learn, and if that's not acceptable, then I'll be on my way. Cheers all!

I think you misread my intention.

I did say I hadn't watched the video and so wasn't saying your brew was rocket fuel. I was referring to the forum focus in general. Relax and read my above post.

Don't take 2-3 negative comments as a general assumption on the whole community, I personally thought the video was quite interesting and very simple which is always a plus(and basically the same as all the other recipes cider recipes i've seen). I probably wouldn't make something that strong but each to his own.

edit: lactose sugar doesn't get fermented by beer yeast, so it adds some sweetness to the final product. It's not as sweet as normal sugar IIRC. You should be able to but it from a homebrew store.. not sure.

Point well taken. Thank you for the info.

There's plenty of people here who brew from kits and extracts. If you don't rush in swinging your fists with a point to prove I'm sure your experience will be most welcomed.

Not every AG brewer is snobby about kits, there are a lot of different ways of doing things discussed here.

From the tiny bit I watched your cider doesn't seem amazingly different from some of the simple ciders discussed in our non-beer brewing section.

I apologize if I came off a bit rude. I think I read some posts out of context. I get quite a bit of flack about the fact that I only brew from kits. Where I live, we're struggling to be able to get the raw ingredients, and not pay huge for them. A properly tweaked kit can taste very good.

I got into making cider and "inmate" brew because home brewing beer is really booming right now, and I fear that the Government will step in at some point (because they tax the hell out of store bought beer) and pass some law against home brewing. At least if that ever happened, we could all still brew from things in the supermarket. I guess I'm a bit paranoid, but in this day and age, you never know. Lots of people are having fun with it as well. It's a great starting point. Well, thanks for your response. Cheers!

No worries mate. Check out the kits and extract section for plenty of experienced advice and noobs needing advice (which I assume you'd be able to help with)

Check out the non beer brewing section for ciders, meads, Jao and even the ocassional bit of wine and sake making.

Plenty of information about fermentation etc (the most important prcess in the whole brewing part I reckon and the bit we touch the least) in all sections - as technical as you want to get.

Like I said - it's a forum, not a single entity so there are as many attitudes, opinions and personalities as there are users. In my opinion though the main focus is (and should be) on making good, consistent beer, whatever method you use or is avaliable to you. I'd certainly be the last person to be disparaging about someone using kits or extract.

I apologize if I came off a bit rude. I think I read some posts out of context. I get quite a bit of flack about the fact that I only brew from kits. Where I live, we're struggling to be able to get the raw ingredients, and not pay huge for them. A properly tweaked kit can taste very good.

I think you'd find that the few people who did say negative things about you or your video would most certainly have phrased them a little more delicately had they thought you'd read it. They still may very well have levelled some sort of criticism anyway but usually nothing that could be taken as a personal slight. We're sometimes a little brash but certainly never deliberately rude to new members.

This board has a very broad and active membership of kit brewers. Have a look around the Kits and Extracts section and in time you will definitely find some inspiration to take to your subscribers. I think those who warned you not to read these boards are perhaps the closed minded ones - there is plenty of information here for brewers of all levels and styles and some extremely talented brewers who are generous with their time helping newer brewers like myself.

I wasn't able to watch all of your video so my earlier question may have been answered in it later but I'll ask you now you're here: why is it that you sanitised your hydrometer and sample tube? Do you tip it back into your fermenter? I only ask as it is my custom to drink every sample so I can get a feel for how every brew develops from start to finish and I personally find this method very helpful for my development as a brewer.

Thank you. I consider that a welcome, and I plan on helping people on here as much as I've been helping people on my YouTube channel. Cheers mate.

CraigTube

You should most definitely consider that a welcome and I look forward to seeing how you manage to help people without acknowledging their questions.

BumTube

I'll ask you now you're here: why is it that you sanitised your hydrometer and sample tube? Do you tip it back into your fermenter? I only ask as it is my custom to drink every sample so I can get a feel for how every brew develops from start to finish and I personally find this method very helpful for my development as a brewer.

Thanks so much for your message. I'm not new to brewing, but I'm new to forums. My YouTube channel has been my forum really. I have control over that, where as I don't in these forums. That's a little weird for me I guess. Anyway, to your question... I take several hydrometer readings during my cider projects. I want to be able to add the sample back to the batch so as not to waist any. With 5 gallon batches of beer and wine, it's nothing, but a 1 gallon batch of cider... I try not to waist any. I keep records of all my brews, but I generally don't taste the wort/must.

Big cheers to ya mate. Thanks!

Craigtube

You should most definitely consider that a welcome and I look forward to seeing how you manage to help people without acknowledging their questions.

BumTube

Not sure what you mean by that last bit, but thanks!

CraigTube

CraigTube, fill out your prifile so that we can see where your from. I'm assuming that your not from the land "downunder and haven't got a handle on our vernacular. settled down and have a home brew. Everybody here has a goodtime.

HD

My apologies, craigman. Crossed wires on my part. It looked like the post I responded after may have been in response to me, which I now see that it was not.

Certainly didn't mean to imply you were new to brewing - I don't know anything of your history yet and wouldn't like to assume. I'm sure you'll agree we all have some things left to learn, however.

Hi Craigman just viewed your video and it is a good introduction to doing that style of cider.

You'll see quite a lot of reference to the Aldi apple and apple and pear juice being used here together with varying amounts of lactose, cane sugar (we don't do corn or beet sugar here) and maybe nutrients with ale yeast for an English (Pommy) style or EC 1118 for champagne style.

I've recently tried a few English scrumpy styles and enjoyed them. Dan Murphy's at Menai has an increasingly good range.

So next time down there I'll drop into Aldi and get some apple and/or apple+pear juice with no preservative except Ascorbic acid=Vitamin C=Code 220, and fire myself up a cider/scrumpy.

Craigman as we tend to be mainly Aussies here there is a lot of references to Aussie materials and institutions, not to mention our measuring systems.

But maybe most unusually is our tendency to take the piss out of each other and engage in faux arguments with lots of tongue in cheek. Cruise with us a while you'll get used to it.

Cheerz Wabster

Certainly didn't mean to imply you were new to brewing - I don't know anything of your history yet and wouldn't like to assume. I'm sure you'll agree we all have some things left to learn, however.

Oh, absolutely. That's why I'm here. I have some questions of my own, which I'll be asking shortly.

CraigTube

Hi Craigman just viewed your video and it is a good introduction to doing that style of cider.

You'll see quite a lot of reference to the Aldi apple and apple and pear juice being used here together with varying amounts of lactose, cane sugar (we don't do corn or beet sugar here) and maybe nutrients with ale yeast for an English (Pommy) style or EC 1118 for champagne style.

I've recently tried a few English scrumpy styles and enjoyed them. Dan Murphy's at Menai has an increasingly good range.

So next time down there I'll drop into Aldi and get some apple and/or apple+pear juice with no preservative except Ascorbic acid=Vitamin C=Code 220, and fire myself up a cider/scrumpy.

Craigman as we tend to be mainly Aussies here there is a lot of references to Aussie materials and institutions, not to mention our measuring systems.

But maybe most unusually is our tendency to take the piss out of each other and engage in faux arguments with lots of tongue in cheek. Cruise with us a while you'll get used to it.

Cheerz Wabster

Thanks Mate. Lucky, here in Canada, we use the metric system as well, so I'll feel fully at home with your measurements.

Cheers

Latest posts

Back