Easy Cider...

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rt1

Reaction score
Hi, I am a beginner who wants to brew a cider. I don't want it to be complicated and be up all night mixing ingredients so some sort of partial would be good. I also don't want it to cost much at all otherwise I would just rather go out and buy a case of mercury draught instead. Finally, I want it to taste reasonable after no more than a month in the bottle.

Asking too much or is there a recipe out there??

Thanks.

Finally, I want it to taste reasonable after no more than a month in the bottle.

im my experiance of brewing cider, it takes longer than most things to bottle condition etc. you may be asking a little to much.

I believe you can produce a cider that will be drinkable after a month. However it will take you longer to brew and condition before you bottle so there's a sacrifice somewhere.

What sort of success have people had just by adding a packet of yeast to a 3lt bottle? Just an experiment, before maybe making a larger batch..
Im planning on doing it anyway, spare coopers kit packet yeasts that arent going to be used for anything else, but id like to see if anyone has made anything decent using this method, or if there is anything to be wary of..

Tart Fuel

4 x 2.4L Berri Apple Juice
4 x 2.4L Berri Apple & Pear Juice
200gm Lactose
Nottingham
Yeast nutrient

easy peasy

if you want to get a bit more adventurous then you can rack the cider into secondary on top of 2kg raspberries that have been boiled in 1lt of water with 1 cup of sugar until it forms a syrup

What sort of success have people had just by adding a packet of yeast to a 3lt bottle? Just an experiment, before maybe making a larger batch..
Im planning on doing it anyway, spare coopers kit packet yeasts that arent going to be used for anything else, but id like to see if anyone has made anything decent using this method, or if there is anything to be wary of..

I threw some Coopers yeast in to a 2.4 liter apple and pear. (removed about 200ml 1st).

left it 3 weeks in mid 20s, then 2 weeks at 4 degrees.

on bottling it had the worst after taste, so Im leaving it a few months.

21L preservative free apple juice, 500g lactose, e118 yeast (I think). It was only in the fermenter for 2 weeks I reckon. Tasted ok after a fortnight in bottles, tastes better now. I would've used wyeast 4766 but LHBS didn't have it. If you wanna do 3L batches then get some oztops. I haven't yet but haven't heard a bad thing said about them. Oztops.com.au

I did the old Aldi Apple Juice Cider with 10 bottles of juice, 6g of CaSO4 (for yeast health) and a packet of rehydrated US05.

Fermented out in 7-8 days, was crash chilled overnight, filtered, kegged and consumed immediatly. Unfortunatly the last 1/4 of the keg started to taste great, that was about 3 weeks of it being in the keg.

Would i do it again? Hell yes. It was as good as most local commerical ciders you can get and a mere fraction of the price. Im tempted to stop by at an apple orchard one day and try and get some fresh apple juice. One day... One day.

Much the same as 4* but with 4766, a few with added DME, and fermented in the individual (juice) container then bottled in glass. A month of conditioning is what I'd recommend, but I think I'll try other ale yeasts- not sure if it was my cheap juice or the actual yeast- respectable enough but not 100% amazing.

I'm still threatening to swing by an orchard for the real deal too, Pete seems to think the unpasteurised stuff is quite worthwhile.

Check this out:

looks like nasty stuff!

Last edited by a moderator:
im not sure if hes planning on drinking that stuff or running his car on it

I wasn't able to watch the video to the end - is there a reason he sanitised his hydrometer and sample jar?

I just did :-

7x3 litre bottles of homebrand apple (preservative free)
500g lactose
500g dex (or a little more)
2L 1084 yeast starter (was made for a brew I didnt make, hence I made a quick cider)
A teaspoon or so of yeast nutrient (not sure I needed this)

Been in fermentor for about 3 weeks now (lazy me), will filter / keg / carb / consume over the weekend. But samples taste pretty good at the moment

Check this out:

looks like nasty stuff!

Actually, it was not bad, despite your pessimistic comment. Great way to get people started in home brewing. It's quite popular, actually. Don't tell me this is another "snob" forum.

Last edited by a moderator:
Actually, it was not bad, despite your pessimistic comment. Great way to get people started in home brewing. It's quite popular, actually. Don't tell me this is another "snob" forum.

It's a forum of mixed opinions like any other community.

There is a focus on trying to make good quality beverages rather than rocket fuel (not saying yours is either - not brewed it, not drank it and not really looked at the link very closely) which I see as a good thing.

Don't tell him, guys

edit: do you reckon thats the craig from youtube?

You reckon right. It's "the craig from youtube". (CraigTube) People on YouTube, (mainly my subscribers) keep telling me not to bother with these forums. I can clearly see why. In fact, one of my viewers alerted me to this thread. These topics are treated like religions, and it seems if you don't fallow the rules, you get bashed. Well, I have a large fallowing on YouTube which might suggest that I'm helping a lot of people enter into the home brewing arena; people who would otherwise never try, so I'm told. The video I posted on making hard cider actually sparked much interest in the topic, and the cider actually taste pretty good, for a start. I also make beer using your Cooper's kits, and it too tastes damn good and has got a large number of people brewing at home, according to my comments and messages. My hope is that I can participate in these discussions and learn, rather than be part of a mud slinging party. NOW, what do you reckon?

Cheers all!

Latest posts

Back