Earthing Element In Hlt

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

balconybrewer

Reaction score
hi there,
just wondering how people are generally earthing their heating elements for their HLT's?????

old man is a sparky and will be wiring it for me but asked if i knew how other people are doing it.

any pics or info on how people are earthing them would be appreciated.

cheers

My element is not earthed......naturally...............but the vessel/tun is connected to the electrical earth.

Screwy

i understand, sorry i worded it incorrectly, have you got a pic, diargam, or description of how your vessel is earthed.

cheers

Bloke for the two vessels that I have added old dishwasher elements to they (the elements themselves) have studs on the base so it was easy for me to terminate my earth to one of those. If the element you intend to use doesn't have provision for this I would look at getting a tab or threaded stud welded to the vessel to attach the earth to.
Cheers
Doug
Sorry but no piccys :-(

come on guys, heaps of people must have the beerbelly elements. no earth supplied, any pics of how people are earthing these things?????

I don't have one (I'm going by the layout of a typical urn), but aren't they earthed through the (metal) threaded fitting of the element to the (metal) skin of the HLT, which is then earthed through an screw+nut+eyelet to the earth pin on the power plug?
The only issue is if you were using a plastic container where if something went wrong the best earth would potentially be through the liquid and human body - the so-called bucket-o-death. In that case you would need to earth the elements themselves somehow.

Sorry but no pics on file of the inside but, this is how the element is mounted. A SS Tank socket welded to the Tun, a flat plate welded onto the end of that, with a Junction box fitted to contain the connections (power cable to element terminals, and earth). The reason for a tank socket? - the element yhat I bought had a BSP threaded screw base. Some have a mounting plate (hot water system elements) and would require some different method of mounting to the vessel.

Can't see why the fuss re earthing, simple stuff, attach the electrical earth to the vessel somewhere, obviously it would not be best to attach it using a screw through the vessel wall.

With mine the earth is connected inside the "J" box using a terminal connector and a screw through the metal base that the "J" box is mounted on.

A sparky doesn't know how to earth the kettle, you serious?

Screwy

HLT_Elements_2006_0013_Small.jpg

No picture, but I have a threaded hole in top of mine, into which I've screwed the earthing wire tight.

Sorry - I'm on the other side of the world at the moment, but can post a pic when I get back home.

Andy

A sparky doesn't know how to earth the kettle, you serious?

Screwy

My sentiments exactly & with all the feedback given already he has more than enough info to do the job.

Cheers Ross

Latest posts

Back