Dry Versus Ferment Hopping

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Your use of tar unnecessarily increases both disk usage and CPU usage. You fail to remove the tarball after it is extracted into /fermenter.
I would suggest you replace the tar with a simple
Code:
cp -a
. Perhaps some checks on /proc/fermenter for temperature and residual sugars along the way, so we know when it's finished, rather than just waiting a predetermined 10 days?

nerd.jpg

super-nerd-interviewee.jpg

:p

Your use of tar unnecessarily increases both disk usage and CPU usage. You fail to remove the tarball after it is extracted into /fermenter.
[ tar == mash ]

The persistence of the tarball allows a recover feature should the yeast cp return nonzero exit status, possibly due to broken symlinks. A Dropbox backup would also be suitable.

Perhaps some checks on /proc/fermenter for temperature and residual sugars along the way, so we know when it's finished, rather than just waiting a predetermined 10 days?
fridge_temp_control could be dynamically updated with another python script to monitor /proc/acpi/thermal_zone/fermenter/temperature via a cron job if one was in a hurry.

Of course, I shouldn't forget the important stuff;

if ( airlock_bubbling == .false. ) release(all_hell) && ./post_to_AHB.sh

feat-1594721.jpg

The persistence of the tarball allows a recover feature should the yeast cp return nonzero exit status, possibly due to broken symlinks. A Dropbox backup would also be suitable.
Yes, however if a cp returns nonzero due to broken symlinks, a tar would also fail to include such important files. What happens if *.yeast is a broken symlink? I think in that case all_hell will have already broken loose!
fridge_temp_control could be dynamically updated with another python script to monitor /proc/acpi/thermal_zone/fermenter/temperature via a cron job if one was in a hurry.
A viable solution, indeed. Not just for those in a hurry, but those seeking the most efficient use of resources.

feat-1594721.jpg
Yes, I can definitely see a use for that condition. Well done.

The post_to_ahb.sh is most definitely a necessary step!
:lol: :lol:

[ tar == mash ]

feat-1594721.jpg

if ( airlock_bubbling == .false. && kitten_in_airlock == .false) release(all_hell) && ./post_to_AHB.sh

& I thought I was a nerd. I've got nothing on you blokes.

A grand fight it is indeed! Ah yes Hatchy but which side will you choose, Bonj or QB? I am not sure where LRG is in this picture.

starwarsvsstartrek.jpg

A grand fight it is indeed! Ah yes Hatchy but which side will you choose, Bonj or QB? I am not sure where LRG is in this picture.

starwarsvsstartrek.jpg
:lol: I'm more of a Star Wars fan myself...

I thought I was nerdy. With my knowledge of the english language poor at the best of times, and my knowledge of scripts even less, I understood the last few posts (and found them funny as f@ck) far more than anything Speedie has ever, or will ever post on this board.

Speedie = F@cktard. Mods piss this guy off, he contributes nothing of substance and BTW steals my O2... *******...

Leary

I thought I was nerdy. With my knowledge of the english language poor at the best of times, and my knowledge of scripts even less, I understood the last few posts (and found them funny as f@ck) far more than anything Speedie has ever, or will ever post on this board.

Speedie = F@cktard. Mods piss this guy off, he contributes nothing of substance and BTW steals my O2... *******...

Leary

That sounds like an enigma :lol:

Ah, I've found the issue and written a script to patch the problem;

====
#!/bin/beersh

tar czvf wort.tar.gz *.grain *.hops *.water
mv wort.tar.gz fermenter/
tar
zxvf /fermenter/wort.tar.gz
cp *.yeast fermenter/
mv fermenter/ fridge/fermenter/
setenv fridge_temp `echo yest.cfg | grep best_temp'
sleep 10d
echo 'koppafloc' >> *.beer 2> trub
find fermenter/ -name 'haze' -exec mv {} /dev/null/ \
echo 'CO₂' >> beer | glass
exit 0
====

and I've packaged it all up with a makefile so all I need to do now is type

make beer

Ok. I think, finally, that I understand this thread now.

:lol: I'm more of a Star Wars fan myself...

Sheesh I am glad of that cause I was scared you'd get all Vulcan on me.
But hey don't try any of that Jedi mind control on me though!

Hey Master Yoda what do you make of all this?
Mmmm, Speedie, interesting is he. Listening may he not be, mmmm?

cat thread > /dev/null

for i in 10 9 8 7 6 5 4 3 2 1; do echo "$i aggots hanging on the wall"; done

honestly, wheres Chappo when this thread is needed by him........ B) I miss U chap chap......

Back