Dry Versus Ferment Hopping

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Can you explain that more? So tart is more of an acidic kinda perception is it, rather than sour. Tart versus sour - I really am intrigued now.
How is a Frambroise different? Is it based on rasberry instead of being raspberry flavoured/infused?
thats right well the way i look at it. a frambrose is a raspberry lambic, so sour raspberry. this one may come from a kit but its going to very drink able at the end.

the one i plan that will be ag, will be 50% ale, 50% wheat then about 1.5 to 2kgs of fresh raspberries.

Hmmm... In terms of the four basic tastes (five, if you're Japanese and believe in uomami) I thought sour and tart were the same thing; a response to acidity and not one of the other three (salty, sweet & bitter)?

hay dan if it looks like shit smells like shit it must be ?
dam those nippindenso:s
is it the front of the tongue ,sides or back that we those buggers are useing
make my a whaler @ macers

I think we need a thread hall of fame! With a historical listing of all the legendary threads on AHB.

(would the chinese hop one make it?)
I see the new Chinese Hop BB elsewhere is getting even more ugly than the one here got...

malted, i see them as different ends of the same spectrum. with tart at one end of the line and out there sour at the other. but back to the topic
meanwhile-in-russia.jpg

malted, i see them as different ends of the same spectrum. with tart at one end of the line and out there sour at the other. but back to the topic

Do you mean like this?
tart.jpg

Or like this?
sours.jpg

It is all good Barls, I get what you're saying. Cheers.

Hmmm... In terms of the four basic tastes (five, if you're Japanese and believe in uomami) I thought sour and tart were the same thing; a response to acidity and not one of the other three (salty, sweet & bitter)?

Don't have to be Japanese to believe in it...... It's fairly obvious and easy to pick. Ever tried konbu? It has a fairly intense umami flavor.

Don't have to be Japanese to believe in it...... It's fairly obvious and easy to pick. Ever tried konbu? It has a fairly intense umami flavor.

I ain't Japanese so I haven't tried konbu

(ok, I'm joking now, I do eat Japanese and I have experienced umami - glutamic acid that causes umami is found in many things - including breast milk :blink: )

Yeah, yeah, I withdraw my previous statement :)

Tart/Sour are the same thing when it comes to the five basic tastes; salty, sour, bitter, sweet and umami.

I guess what Barls is saying is: if it is only slightly sour he might call it tart?

I thought Umami did not have a flavour as such but intensified other flavours?

an up date on the beer that was brewed for this test prior to xmas (12 weeks old)
tonight we sampled some ferment hop beer which was smashed with nelson hop
and i must say it is well more than pleasing
holds an amzing head is well balanced for the amount of hop
and the color is deep copper
if anyone would repeat this formula you would be more than happy
speedster :icon_drunk:

an up date on the beer that was brewed for this test prior to xmas (12 weeks old)
speedster :icon_drunk:

Here we go again...

speedster

what was the grain bill? What volumes and how much hops were added?

So Speedie... Have you any plans to organise a bulk buy of hops from China??

wallace
if you want the base ingredients list i will post it for you
please try to brew along the same time frame and heat requirements

no i have noo! planes to import hops from china
i much prefer to use local suppliers and keep my dollar here
even though it is a NZ hop

Back