Dry Versus Ferment Hopping

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Why don't you try and do some investigation of your own Endeavour

image_675_1.jpg

I post something of substance
Wait...when did this happen? You speak nothing but crap, speedie. Honestly. Even if you might, upon occasion, say something that isn't flat out wrong you present it in a way that makes appear as though you discovered it when in fact it is something everyone already knew all along.

Those of you taking the piss out of speedie's genuine attempt to make his posts a bit more user-friendly should ease up a bit - you can't go a bloke responding to constructive criticism.

Speedie, I got up on a high horse near the beginning of this thread about other people posting angry and someone illustrated that I too had done so - so I backed off.

Some people here have tried to post constructively, some have tried to show you the error of your ways in a pretty forthright manner and some have not held back at all.

But it has not been a one way street. Many of these posts have been in reaction to what you have posted which, in some cases and at least to me, appeared to be quite vitriolic.

well said dan,
speedie i think you may have started something when you turned around early in the piece and call us all dickheads and the such for not just sitting there and lapping up the crap you were passing off.
i did find it highly amusing when you verbally abused us all and then were calling for the mods to come in and protect you. its not going to happen if your going to though mud dont expect to be kept clean. yes i have abused you back, no i dont feel bad for doing it. seriously if you have felt like ive anonymously abased you come on over and ill do it face to face. more than happy to give you my address and speak man to man and we can sort this out.

btw just cause you have been brewing for 30 years doesnt mean you have all the answers. 30 years ago there was some very bad information in regards to brewing out there. this has since been researched and changed.

as for static electricity in beer, dont think so. what you were talking about with the yeast and trub being positive and the others being negative that comes back to the make up of the atoms. nothing more.
also the hops added while fermenting would of coated the yeast and fallen out of suspension with them.

one thing to ask did you give the dry hopped beer the same time frame sitting after you added as you did with the ones added while the fermentation was going.
the hop may have not had enough time to settle out.

Both brews have identical amounts of hop in them the only difference is when it was added into the process

The ferment hop was introduced at the commencement of fermentation

Or should I say after wort cooling

The other was put into secondary or post fermentation

Now instead of debate why dont you keen brewers try for your own interest

Bum you are a card

Earl love the vessel Cecil

After thirty years of brewing I should have stumbled over some useful stuff

Hay by the way I dont have a cape (brew saviour)

Wow, friday night posting taken to a speedie new level. WTF do 3 of the last 4 lines mean? Honestly....I really can't work it out!

Cheers

so what your saying speedie is that the dry hopped on was in solution for less time than the one added a fermentation commencement. theres your answer right there.
less time in solution to settles out. hence the haziness. case solved.

for the record i dry hop and always 99.9% of the time have clear beer unless its disturbed in the keg once it in the fridge for dispensing

All I could think of was spelling it out slower, but then .

I'm sure he means anonymity. On that - no, I don't post the phunnies because I'm anonymous, I post them because they are of an equal intellectual quality to your posts.

Now instead of debate why don't you keen brewers try for your own interest
Several people have told you repeatedly that they have performed their own experiments, with varying results, but I don't know what you expect to 'discover' just by guessing/inventing the mechanisms.

I added lots of wheat to my mash. The beer was cloudy. Therefore, Batman himself has crept into my brewery under the cover of darkness (no one can deny that he is good at this) and added secret chemicals to my beer to make it cloudy. Don't believe me? Do your own experiment!!! Of course, if you get the same result, please get me an autograph (I always seem to miss him).

You'd think so, but, here we are. I don't know what to tell you.

Now, since you don't actually read posts, back to something silly...

y4G3T.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
so what your saying speedie is that the dry hopped on was in solution for less time than the one added a fermentation commencement. theres your answer right there.
less time in solution to settles out. hence the haziness. case solved.

for the record i dry hop and always 99.9% of the time have clear beer unless its disturbed in the keg once it in the fridge for dispensing

Wouldn't it be fair to say that all things being equal, one can then compare? Do you brew in 400 Litre batches. NO! Why don't you try for your own interest? Or are you not keen? If you did then you could talk about it, but not debate (apparently). :D

Speedie, within this thread, time and again knowledgeable and experienced brewers have proposed sound logic for why they think the observations you have made might be so. It seems to me me you are not looking for answers to your questions; you seem to be seeking support for your own ideas that appear to be contray to popular belief and knowledge.
That's not to say your ideas are wrong but you have not really discussed or debated them for their merit, instead you appear to have defended them on some sort of brew crusade.

If I give enough sound information, sometimes I find it interesting to challenge the ideas of others; however, I find it is much more interesting and rewarding if others give me enough information to challenge my own ideas, for then I may be able to learn. Are you able to step aside from your preconceptions to be able to examine the information others have presented you with? Honestly, it does not appear so.

EDIT: PS, QB that animated Seinfeld Gif is the best one yet!

mate ive only brewed in 400L once as i dont have the gear here. saying that the average brew size for the isb when we get together is about 300L.
maybe once i get a job ill be brewing in 100, 000 L but we will see if that eventuates.
was not trying to defend speedie just not tryig to put him under the bus atm, give it time though.

Batman himself has crept into my brewery under the cover of darkness (no one can deny that he is good at this) and added secret chemicals to my beer to make it cloudy.

Here he is, an exclusive picture of the 'Batman' caught in the act of 'making your brew cloudy'.
heroes1l.jpg

Now instead of debate why don’t you keen brewers try for your own interest
Here's the thing, speedie: what you're talking about is something a great many people already know. Lots of people feel like this is old ground you're covering and want to punch you for acting like you've discovered something. You say 'ferment hopped' beers can clearer and cleaner and dry hopped beers can be cloudy and grassy - old news, fella. And even more galling is that you refuse to accept the actual reasons for these things as being the actual reasons and insist on some static electricity theory. Kinda bullshitty, guy.

Bum you are a card
No denial there.

I would hope so (and don't doubt it) but one would also hope that you wouldn't stumble upon pretty much fundamental stuff that should have been covered in the reading you discuss quite regularly.

[EDIT: cleaned up quotes]

mate ive only brewed in 400L once as i dont have the gear here. saying that the average brew size for the isb when we get together is about 300L.
maybe once i get a job ill be brewing in 100, 000 L but we will see if that eventuates.
was not trying to defend speedie just not tryig to put him under the bus atm, give it time though.

Ok just to clarify, my comments to you were tongue in cheek, a bit of a piss poor parody of some of the language I had observed from Mr Gonzales. I spose I shoulda put more smileys in it. But hey we are able to step back and clarify these things, to aid our understanding of what the other has said...

your right as i said i wasnt putting him under the bus atm, might start again tomorrow
its all good. even my raspberry wheat was clear and that was a year and half old, pity there is no more bottles of it

even my raspberry wheat was clear and that was a year and half old, pity there is no more bottles of it

I have been thinking that would be a good sorta drop to make as I like wheat beers and I like rasberries. Is it kinda sour from the raspberries or just the sweet raspberry flavour? I'd like to know more about it.

mine was a tart raspberry, the next batch will be sour definately. got a frambrose fermenting atm.

mine was a tart raspberry, the next batch will be sour definately. got a frambrose fermenting atm.

Can you explain that more? So tart is more of an acidic kinda perception is it, rather than sour. Tart versus sour - I really am intrigued now.
How is a Frambroise different? Is it based on rasberry instead of being raspberry flavoured/infused?

Back